• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Beaten Again: Regina Sweeney recovering in hospital after third assault

Skyrocket

Regina Sweeney has been subjected to a another vicious assault in her own home by hooded men. Sweeney, from Breaffy in Mayo was previously assaulted by masked men in early February and early December. She is the wife of a local Garda Detective and appeared on the Late Late Show to discuss her assault in the context of rural crime. The attackers in February referred to this and told her she "wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly".

Woman hospitalised after third assault in Mayo - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 22, 2013

Hopefully the Gardai and justice system will crack down hard on the cowardly thugs who assaulted this woman as she was alone in her own home. She will also presumably get Garda protection as these do not appear to be random unconnected attacks.

Clanrickard

Regina Sweeney has been subjected to a another vicious assault in her own home by hooded men. Sweeney, from Breaffy in Mayo was previously assaulted by masked men in early February and early December. She is the wife of a local Garda Detective and appeared on the Late Late Show to discuss her assault in the context of rural crime. The attackers in February referred to this and told her she "wasn’t as cocky now as she was on the telly".

Woman hospitalised after third assault in Mayo - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 22, 2013

Hopefully the Gardai and justice system will crack down hard on the cowardly thugs who assaulted this woman as she was alone in her own home. She will also presumably get Garda protection as these do not appear to be random unconnected attacks.
To beat up the wife of a Garda Detective for the third time is brazen beyond belief.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Now, now! Let's be very patient and see what Shatter has to say about this disgusting crime!
This type of crime wouldn't happen in the leafy south Dublin suburbs so sh1tter won't be too bothered.
A bit of media sabre rattling will be the height of his response.
He's not too worried about the Gardai so he certainly won't be too worried about a Garda's wife.

IbrahaimMohamad

It is time to allow citizens the use of suitable firearms to protect themselves!

It is ridiculous that citizens are left to be terrorized and beaten or worse by thugs!

Every Person must be allowed the right and means to defend themselves and their families.

Relying on a tiny portion of our population for protection is not feasible.

Tawdy

Is there any suspicion as to who is involved here? Is there a vigilanty group inside the garda?

I am amazed at a number of things here.

1. The wife of a serving Garda is assualted for the first time and no follow up?

2. She is assualted for a second time and no follow up?

3. She is assualted for a third time by people who obviously know all her movemets as well as her husband and his colleuges (sic) in the garda in Mayo? ( That one has me baffled )

4. The times, without presenting any real proof, suggest that criminals from Limerick MAY be involved. Would they not stick out like sore thumbs in Mayo?

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye and I suspect it is something more local that the garda themselves are loath to get involved in because it may open a can of worms. Or maybe not.

Last edited:

Analyzer

Has lazybones issued a PR statement, indicating that this not something to be alarmed about ?

Radix

Incredible.

Radix

It is time to allow citizens the use of suitable firearms to protect themselves!

It is ridiculous that citizens are left to be terrorized and beaten or worse by thugs!

Every Person must be allowed the right and means to defend themselves and their families.

Good man.

Vote Ibrahim Mohamad for Taoiseach.

He has all the answers.

:rolleyes:

gijoe

To beat up the wife of a Garda Detective for the third time is brazen beyond belief.
Someone is really taking the piss. However, the message it sends out is that if the wife of a Garda detective who is in the media spotlight can be assaulted time and again, seemingly without consequence, then what hope for the rest of us?

Fr.Ted Crilly

Is there any suspicion as to who is involved here? Is there a vigilanty group inside the garda?

I am amazed at a number of things here.

1. The wife of a serving Garda is assualted for the first time and no follow up?

2. She is assualted for a second time and no follow up?

3. She is assualted for a third time by people who obviously know all her movemets as well as her husband and his colleuges (sic) in the garda in Mayo? ( That one has me baffled )

4. The times, without presenting any real proof, suggest that criminals from Limerick MAY be involved. Would they not stick out like sore thumbs in Mayo?

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye and I suspect it is something more local that the garda themselves are loath to get involved in because it may open a can of worms. Or maybe not.
There's something a bit strange about the whole case.
Then again, it might be just some psycho that she p1ssed off.

IbrahaimMohamad

Someone is really taking the piss. However, the message it sends out is that if the wife of a Garda detective who is in the media spotlight can be assaulted time and again, seemingly without consequence, then what hope for the rest of us?
If a criminal or group of criminals wish to target you the State cannot protect you other than offer the remote prospect of the prosecution and imprisonment of your assailants by way of deterrent.

The State theoretically allows you to defend your life but refuses to allow you the effective means of doing so!

mickterry

There's something a bit strange about the whole case.
Then again, it might be just some psycho that she p1ssed off.
You could be right or perhaps its just a symptom of our society that there is no respect for the Guards anymore. It is sad to see that no arrests have been made in relation to the Guard that was shot in january and the more time passes it is less likely than anyone will be. Shatter and his ilk have put a price on the security of the state, but are not willing to pay it.

Eire1976

I'm all for protecting yourself, but if you give everyone the right to weapons, then the crims have them too.

I'm sure the Gardaí will deal very nicely with these scum when they are finally rounded up.

DuineEile

Assuming of course that these assaults actually happened. Giving false evidence is a trait of the Gardaí. Maybe it runs in their families too?

I should say though that I had never heard of this woman or this alleged assault until two minutes ago.

D

IbrahaimMohamad

I'm all for protecting yourself, but if you give everyone the right to weapons, then the crims have them too.

I'm sure the Gardaí will deal very nicely with these scum when they are finally rounded up.
The Crims already have access to weapons.

It is the law abiding people who are denied them!

the secretary

Scumbags is the only term to use when talking of these people.
Hope to God they are caught.
These scumbags are getting more brave each time they go out and its not only in Mayo

Eire1976

The Crims already have access to weapons.

It is the law abiding people who are denied them!
Yes, the hardened crims do, but do you want every scumbag out there to have access?

A good kitchen knife in the balls will deter anyone

IbrahaimMohamad

Assuming of course that these assaults actually happened. Giving false evidence is a trait of the Gardaí. Maybe it runs in their families too?

I should say though that I had never heard of this woman or this alleged assault until two minutes ago.

D
Assaulted again