• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

beatings for using left hand

jakdelad

remember when they used to beat the living sh1t out of you for writing
with your left hand,not so many years ago either
i never could figure that one out
was it not the devil s hand or something???

i would love to know how our former degree educated teachers
delt with this issue in their training?
and was there different ways of administering the beatings
for such a heinous crime as using your left hand

Cato

The English word 'sinister' is from the Latin word for left. I think it was also felt that it was closer to the heart and therefore closer to the passions.

I'm a leftie myself and I used to hate sitting beside right-handers at school. I also hate tin openers, scissors, and pens that smudge.

kerrynorth

The nuns used to beat the crap out of me for being left handed until my mam went up them one day and ate them alive. It was the Sisters of (no) Mercy.

kerrynorth

The English word 'sinister' is from the Latin word for left. I think it was also felt that it was closer to the heart and therefore closer to the passions.

I'm a leftie myself and I used to hate sitting beside right-handers at school. I also hate tin openers, scissors, and pens that smudge.
.......leaky biros, cutting bread, tying laces.......

Demotruk

My younger brother is a left-handed open atheist who's just finishing up at a Christian Brother's secondary school. He's commented how difficult it could have been for him if he had been in that situation in times past...

Cato

.......leaky biros, cutting bread, tying laces.......
Leaky biros are a pain, but cutting bread is ok; you just have to turn it the right way around. Tying laces? It's never been a problem.

Left handed people are also more susceptible to mental illness, and in general we die younger. However, we do have better spacial reasoning and we make excellent lovers.

imokyrok

I'm not a leftie so I didn't get hit for that. Got hit for plenty of other things though - not exactly sure what. Can't recall the crimes, just the broken leg of a chair across the palms repeatedly.

Lloyd-Apjohn

Tin openers and drying to open doors! I always have to stop to put what's in my hand in the other hand to use my keys!

I don't know how parents stopped themselves punching priests or nuns for the way left handed children were treated - I went to the school in the 70s but don't remember ever being stopped being left handed but my mother said when she went to school if you were left handed they tied your hand behind your back and made you stay in school until you knew how to use your right hand! Can you imagine trying that now! The nun would be strung up by her habit from the nearest lamppost.

Weliveinhope

My dad had his left handedness beaten out of him in the 50s in school. When I started school in the 80s my first teacher tried to change me - my Dad was not about to let that happen and it got sorted very fast.

diablo

Tin openers and drying to open doors! I always have to stop to put what's in my hand in the other hand to use my keys!

I don't know how parents stopped themselves punching priests or nuns for the way left handed children were treated - I went to the school in the 70s but don't remember ever being stopped being left handed but my mother said when she went to school if you were left handed they tied your hand behind your back and made you stay in school until you knew how to use your right hand! Can you imagine trying that now! The nun would be strung up by her habit from the nearest lamppost.
I went to school in the 70's too and as you say, the leftie bashing had stopped. However, in junior infants we were beaten with a stick when we misbehaved. To me, beating 4 year olds with a stick seems just as barbaric as beating lefties. Of course it was all perfectly normal at the time.

imokyrok

Leaky biros are a pain, but cutting bread is ok; you just have to turn it the right way around. Tying laces? It's never been a problem.

Left handed people are also more susceptible to mental illness, and in general we die younger. However, we do have better spacial reasoning and we make excellent lovers.
That dying younger bit is just because of greater susceptibility to accidents isn't it? What with all that rightie equipment etc. Cross dominance tends to make someone more prone to clumsiness though I think ie. left handed and right footed or right eyed and vice versa. At least that was the research used to say. I'm not sure of whats current. I wasn't aware of a greater preponderance of to mental illness. I do recall claims of a connection to creativity and I wonder could that be related to MI history. I must update myself on the matter - I have a leftie son.

Ah Well

Yep I'm a Ciotóg/Southpaw myself - always have been. Corporal punishment was alive and well during at least part of my National School Days (banned in Ireland in 1982) but thankfully was never beaten for being left handed. I did get the odd few flakes across the fingers from one fecker in general who used one of those rungs from a wooden cot for a stick but not too often and not for being left handed.

Remember my Mum saying she was left handed and got flaked by the Nuns for it and turned to writing with the right hand.

Funny thing is that I play golf with right handed clubs but would have played Hurling as a left handed player. But I can use both hands for most tasks, even writing but the left is always the stronger hand.

Come to think of it guess I'm ... what's the word... oh yeah one of those big ones ... ambidextrous ;)

Judging by the number of replies here it's time to start a P.ie Left Handers Club! :D

Lloyd-Apjohn

I went to school in the 70's too and as you say, the leftie bashing had stopped. However, in junior infants we were beaten with a stick when we misbehaved. To me, beating 4 year olds with a stick seems just as barbaric as beating lefties. Of course it was all perfectly normal at the time.
There was corporal punishment in primary but it stopped the year we went into 5th class - thank God as that was when we wereto get a Mr Hickey who was meant to be a sadistic bast*rd. We'd see him dragging boys down the corridor. But I do remember being part of an all class punishment cos no one owned to something and we got caned but cos we were told to put our hands out and they weren't in order some of us got caned on the wrist and it hurt like f**k and I remember when I went home my mother going ballistic and going to the school and I was terrified as I thought I had done something and would get caned again as when she saw the marks she literally got her coat and went to the school and I don't know what she said - she is not a women to be ignored - but the next day the head master apologised to us!

My primary school wasn't a religious one and my secondary was a Vincentian school which was fine. My father went to the Jesuits who were fine and sent my two older brothers about 5 miles out of their away to make sure they didn't go to Christian Brother schools so even then people knew what the CB were like.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies