• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Begging laws struck down by High Court!

kerrynorth

The High Court have just struck down the vagrancy (begging) laws on the basis that it interfers with freedom of speech!

Open season now for the Romanians and pavees. Expect pitched battles for the best pitches!!!

Twin Towers

Tired of your regular job? Fancy working your own hours?

Express yourself!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm very sorry to trouble you all, but I appear to have left my wallet at home. Could one of you perhaps extend me a short loan to cover the cost of some light refreshment to tide me over until this evening?
I should be able to recompense you by Tuesday, March 27th.

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to Justice.</Mod>

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Personally I agree that begging is and should be allowed, that said I think there should be limits on how solicitous a person can be.

Law preventing begging struck down - RTÉ News
the judge found that the section was unconstitutional because it interfered with the constitutional right of freedom of expression and freedom to communicate with other people.
Aggressive beggars
He said he swept the street outside his shop every morning to remove used needles and empty blister-packs. “The problem is out of control. There is no leadership on this issue. No one is doing anything about it. Dublin City Council will tell you it’s a matter for the guards. The guards will say there’s no law against begging.

Also is there any update on this:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/37971-goverment-introduce-anti-begging-laws-4.html
cYp

Watcher2

Freedcom of expression, freedom of speech

What the fup has that got to do with begging? How do they marry this with the blasphemy laws I wonder.

sadmal

Personally I agree that begging is and should be allowed, that said I think there should be limits on how solicitous a person can be.

Law preventing begging struck down - RTÉ News

Aggressive beggars

Also is there any update on this:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/justice/37971-goverment-introduce-anti-begging-laws-4.html
cYp
Judges don't live in the real world, or rather Irish judges don't live in the real world. Their view of the world is colour by the rose tinted glasses put on them when they first attended their private nursery school at 4 /5 and it hasn't altered the view since.

To them beggars are colourful characters they only encounter when they step from their mercs to the court steps each time they attend. Maybe the beggars, aware of their potential donor profession give a cheery "Good morning your worship" as they pass by.

Have they ever being confronted by a drunken, violent thug who blocks the path or by a gang of women who surround you and try to grab your bag or purse? Of course not!

Levellers

A friend was over last weekend from England and the two things that struck her were the decline of the pub culture and the pervasive beggars.

Clanrickard

Judges don't live in the real world, or rather Irish judges don't live in the real world.
Utter utter rubbish. If anyone lives in the real world it is judges who have to look at the mistakes of the politicians everyday in their court rooms.

sadmal

Utter utter rubbish. If anyone lives in the real world it is judges who have to look at the mistakes of the politicians everyday in their court rooms.
How many judges live in crime ridden areas. Most live in the leafy suburbs well away from any trouble spots and most likely, if in Dublin, in postal districts 4, 6, 14 and 16. They only time most of them travel to the city/town is when they are working in the courts and there they have plenty of security. Then it's off home to the nice house in the nice area and the nice golf or rugby club with equally nice people.

I'm no defenders of politicians but how you can claim they are responsible for all the crime in the county is beyond me. Is there no such thing as personal responsibility anymore? As long as we have the attitude that criminals, drug addicts, beggars have no responsibility for how their lives turned out then that lifestyle will continue and continue to be tolerated by those who should know better.

Clanrickard

How many judges live in crime ridden areas. Most live in the leafy suburbs well away from any trouble spots and most likely, if in Dublin, in postal districts 4, 6, 14 and 16. They only time most of them travel to the city/town is when they are working in the courts and there they have plenty of security. Then it's off home to the nice house in the nice area and the nice golf or rugby club with equally nice people.
That is a stereotype. Judges live amongst people the same as anyone else.

Is there no such thing as personal responsibility anymore? As long as we have the attitude that criminals, drug addicts, beggars have no responsibility for how their lives turned out then that lifestyle will continue and continue to be tolerated by those who should know better.
Yes they have responsibility but this thread is about begging laws and the professionals have felt that said laws contravene our constitution.