Being #3 in the world on the UN's HDI is nothing to boast about

Disillusioned democrat

So the UN thinks Ireland has the 3rd highest quality of life in the world, and Varadkar is quick out of the traps to lay claim to that

Varadkar's tweet received instant derision - tweets about housing. health, justice, immigration, etc., followed within minutes.

It IS difficult to see how we're #3 in the world next to an oil rich country and a tax haven build on centuries of lucrative secret banking arrangements, but the UN says we are.

Just imagine where we would be on the scale if we didn't have €60bn in socialized private debt, a functioning health system, a functioning housing system or a government that didn't break all the records with the worlds most expensive (insert relevant failure here - e.g., children's hospital, broadband, water meters, etc.).

Is the quality of life just measured on how much people earn/spend (which in Ireland IS very high high) or based on happiness, life expectancy, etc?

Sync

When you read the report how did the UN measure it?

Disillusioned democrat

When you read the report how did the UN measure it?
The UN equate "standard of living" to GNI...so basically the harder you work the better your quality of life?

It has no way of (and probably no interest) in looking at disposable income, so in effect what it's saying is that because our GNI per capita is high we must have a decent standard of living.

The fact that half of it is taxed and half of what's left goes on rent isn't part of the equation.

In effect the rating is basically based on Ireland becoming a high cost economy, which is a terrifying place to be when you're dependent on FDI.

Norway has oil and Switzerland has it's domestic industry and its massive financial services sector but we are very highly dependent on being seen as a source of cost effective labour. Dublin got a very poor rating in terms of cities to transfer to for FDI companies, so the goose that lays the golden egg is becoming a bit jaded.

Rather than Varadkar crowing about this on twitter I suggest he gets his cabinet together to figure out how to get back down this table as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Sync

The UN equate "standard of living" to GNI...so basically the harder you work the better your quality of life?
I mean you don't seem to even have read the article let alone the report summary. They don't define it by GNI. GNI is one of many factors that work towards the calculation. You don't have to read the report, just read the article. So what's the point in the thread? Why do you this all the time?

Disillusioned democrat

I mean you don't seem to even have read the article let alone the report summary. They don't define it by GNI. GNI is one of many factors that work towards the calculation. You don't have to read the report, just read the article. So what's the point in the thread? Why do you this all the time?

There are 3 factors:

Life expectency

Education and

GNI

...that's all. Again - education is based on the "length of time" spent on education, not qualifications or ability...just time.

Life expectancy has peaked and we're actually looking at the first generation that won't live as long as their parents.

...and GNI - or cost of living.

The UN just tagged us as the 3rd most expensive country in Western Europe.

Uganda

So the UN thinks Ireland has the 3rd highest quality of life in the world, and Varadkar is quick out of the traps to lay claim to that

Varadkar's tweet received instant derision - tweets about housing. health, justice, immigration, etc., followed within minutes.

It IS difficult to see how we're #3 in the world next to an oil rich country and a tax haven build on centuries of lucrative secret banking arrangements, but the UN says we are.

Just imagine where we would be on the scale if we didn't have €60bn in socialized private debt, a functioning health system, a functioning housing system or a government that didn't break all the records with the worlds most expensive (insert relevant failure here - e.g., children's hospital, broadband, water meters, etc.).

Is the quality of life just measured on how much people earn/spend (which in Ireland IS very high high) or based on happiness, life expectancy, etc?
I'd say we're defo in the top 50 but 3 seems high.

you can rest assured this won’t be trumpeted in the misery slot on Clare Byrne Light.

it doesn’t suit the narrative

Disillusioned democrat

you can rest assured this won’t be trumpeted in the misery slot on Clare Byrne Light.

it doesn’t suit the narrative
I don't know - it coincides with the news that the government just gave RTE a nice Christmas hamper with €10m of tax payers money...NO STRING ATTACHED 🤫

Dame_Enda

The wealth distribution is so lopsided that it is meaningless for the vast majority and especially outside the Dublin commuter belt.

I scoff at the €55659.68 per capita GNI. The average salary is less than half that.

SamsonS

There are other similar surveys or studies. The 2019 World Happiness report has us as 16th, just behind UK and ahead of Germany with the Nordics leading the way. Within that our GDP per head has us competing with the oil rich and Luxembourg, 5th best, on corruption we are 10th best, on life expectancy we are very mid table on a par with Sweden and Holland, on social support we are ranked 6th, again Nordics and New Zealand ahead of us.

Another UN report rates us 8th for Human Freedom, 21st for Personal Freedom and 5th for economic freedom.

Uganda

I don't know - it coincides with the news that the government just gave RTE a nice Christmas hamper with €10m of tax payers money...NO STRING ATTACHED 🤫
fair point.

but I doubt Clare Byrne Light will have rent a crowd on saying this €10m would be better spent on the homeless

McTell

Twitter
No

If there's an election next year, then this was no coincidence.

toughbutfair

The wealth distribution is so lopsided that it is meaningless for the vast majority and especially outside the Dublin commuter belt.

I scoff at the €55659.68 per capita GNI. The average salary is less than half that.
Seems a strange statistic to use. The purchasing power of people (using average, median and standard deviation) would make more sense.

hiding behind a poster

You really are some whinger, aren't you?

hiding behind a poster

Care to link these claims with anything as squalid as a fact or two? In particular you might consider what GNI actually is?

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

Care to link these claims with anything as squalid as a fact or two? In particular you might consider what GNI actually is?
GNI is the gross national income - the average GROSS income per capita.

It's massively over simplistic and It's like comparing apples to kumquats between different countries, each with different tax rates, VAT rates, Big Mac indexes, etc.

It completely misses the point that many Irish families pay the higher rate of income tax and then 50% of their net income on rent or a mortgage, that most middle class families pay health insurance because the public health system is so bad, that we pay more for fuel, public transport, and almost everything else than many other countries.

All this says is that we're a high cost of employment - other recent surveys have identified Dublin as a near "no-go" area for new businesses because of the cost of accommodation.

FG have basically rogered the goose that laid the golden egg.

wombat

I'd say we're defo in the top 50 but 3 seems high.
Varadkar's point, totally missed by the thread is that whenever there is a negative report from an international body, its immediately reported on RTE, if its bad enough, we get a PrimeTime investigates, followed by a week of comment in the print media. Positive news will be ignored. Personally, I regard any UN report as rubbish, an organisation that has Saudi Arabia as an authority on human rights lacks credibility. :)

Uganda

Varadkar's point, totally missed by the thread is that whenever there is a negative report from an international body, its immediately reported on RTE, if its bad enough, we get a PrimeTime investigates, followed by a week of comment in the print media. Positive news will be ignored. Personally, I regard any UN report as rubbish, an organisation that has Saudi Arabia as an authority on human rights lacks credibility. :)
Well said.

RTE Misery has no place for good news.

Disillusioned democrat

That's not what he said at all. Varadkar's tweet said

"No country is without its problems but overall we’re doing pretty well"

The thing is, though, we're not and this report just highlights the problem - we're just a high cost economy without indigenous industry.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies