Belfast International: UK's worst airport according to Which? survey.

raetsel

Long queues, crowded terminals and pricey parking charges have led to Belfast International being rated the UK's worst airport in a survey by consumer magazine Which?
As a fairly regular user I have to say that this is richly deserved.
Apart from the widely reported long queues, which caused so many missed flights in recent months, airport staff badly need to undergo rigorous training in very basic stuff like common courtesy and good manners.

raetsel

This is a poor show.
Joseph Ward (78) had made a reservation for himself and wife Nadine in the Causeway Lounge ahead of their holiday flight to Spain on August 27, pre-paying £27.50 each.
But when the couple arrived at noon last Tuesday expecting "a reasonable presentation of food", they were met with a "paltry selection" which included "some slices of chorizo and ham" and "a solitary scone".
Dr Ward, a frequent flyer, said he felt compelled to speak out "as a warning to other families" who "may feel quite cheated when they get in there and see what's on the menu".
"When we arrived there was one scone on a plate as well as a plate of chorizo and a plate of Parma ham," he told the Belfast Telegraph.
"I'm a vegetarian. I told them I couldn't eat any of it. And I pointed out that their food offering actually eliminated a series of the population, including Indian and Muslim families.

raetsel

Do they serve the 'Devil's Buttermilk'?
There is one bar before security I know of, and as far as I know you can buy alcohol in the departure lounge, but as I avoid alcohol on flights I'm not certain about that.

petaljam

True that the queues are appalling. I always found the rest ok, cafeteria place is grand as far as it goes, but the whole place is always rather dead. Everyone is still in the queue I suppose!

Hogsback

Have avoided it for years.
They always gave me the gears at security when the heard the Northern accent and saw the Irish passport/taigy names.

I always use Dublin even though it involves driving past the place.

between the bridges

Have avoided it for years.
They always gave me the gears at security when the heard the Northern accent and saw the Irish passport/taigy names.

I always use Dublin even though it involves driving past the place.
Indeed, yers must be the only Northern accent they've ever heard, as for the name ye are Ignatius McTaigyboatface and moi claims me prize...

raetsel

True that the queues are appalling. I always found the rest ok, cafeteria place is grand as far as it goes, but the whole place is always rather dead. Everyone is still in the queue I suppose!
The last time I was there, on a flight to Venice early in the summer, I booked fast track through security just in case but didn't need to use it anyway. But it was a very early flight.
But I did encounter an ill mannered young pup of a security chap who insisted on calling me "mate". If even the most officious policeman you encounter at a checkpoint can be trained to address complete strangers as "sir" then it shouldn't be too much of a problem to whip a bit of manners into lads like him.:)
That's just a recent example. BI staff are hopeless when it comes to basic courtesy.

raetsel

Who would make a reservation at an airport lounge, and pre-pay ?? :oops:
That's the way it works at Belfast International when you book the executive lounge. I'd guess it is the same at any airport.
The payment is not just for the food. It is for the full package, i.e. more comfortable seats and surroundings, drinks, food, newspapers, TV access.
The doctor said he had used the service previously, and the food was fine on those occasions.

devonish

That's the way it works at Belfast International when you book the executive lounge. I'd guess it is the same at any airport.
The payment is not just for the food. It is for the full package, i.e. more comfortable seats and surroundings, drinks, food, newspapers, TV access.
The doctor said he had used the service previously, and the food was fine on those occasions.
I have to say that I've found the exec lounge at BIA fine, use it pretty regularly, it's not the best I've been in but not the worst, tend to be there early morning and breakfast is pretty good. It's the extortionist car parking I object to.

Orbit v2

Ah ok. I thought it was just some kind of regular restaurant you could walk into.

raetsel

I have to say that I've found the exec lounge at BIA fine, use it pretty regularly, it's not the best I've been in but not the worst, tend to be there early morning and breakfast is pretty good. It's the extortionist car parking I object to.
The cost of parking in Belfast City Airport is even worse, though I rarely use it. You can of course get discounted rates from the competition if you are booking well in advance. I got a good deal from Cosmo earlier in the summer when I was away for a week.

Mickeymac

Do you work in their PR dept, Dev?:ROFLMAO:

Glaucon

Well, it's pretty bad but Dublin has taken most of the international customers so it's left with the rest. That said, Dublin Airport isn't the El Dorado it's made out to be by some, either. What major airport still has no direct train link to the city centre? Getting out of Dublin Airport by public transport is best avoided.

ednw1

food selection is terrible in the main airport and expensive even by airport standards. had the misfortune of a 27 hour flight delay last year thanks to ryanair boy was i glad to get out and across to the maldron (which ryanair eventually paid for), parking is expemsive but i usually book with mcauslands which is nice when your car is there in fornt of their office .

i belive luton has had a major refurbishment recently (havent flown through it in years ).

actually thought about flying through them at the end of the month and thought nah ill take the ferry.

flew from manchester in january that was bad as well

New Threads

Most Replies