Belfast Mayor Chastised For Not Saying Her Prayers

theloner

The new Belfast mayor didn't say Grace, or invite anyone to say Grace before her installation dinner the other night. Nuala McAllister, an atheist, felt prayers weren't needed, as the food was made by chefs and not given by any gods. There were also a number of non-religious people at the dinner.

The Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, Dr Noble McNeely had to resort to saying his own prayers at his own table but still grumbled about the fact everyone wasn't forced to observe his pre-dinner ritual. Oddly, Belfast High Sheriff The DUP's Tom Haire said that while some guests were annoyed at the absence of grace, his table didn’t miss out, thanks to his neighbour Rev McNeely. Were they 'annoyed' that non-believers didn't have to partake?

Rev McNeely said he believed “it’s a good thing to give grace before dinner” to “give God thanks for his goodness towards us and for the nourishment of each day”, especially at such a high-profile, public event.

'Very Annoyed'

Another follower of a god was also very annoyed with the host not requesting prayers at the new mayor's installation event. Free Presbyterian minister Rev David McLaughlin said Ms McAllister’s decision to scrap grace was a “glaring omission”.

“I’m very annoyed at this very sad state of affairs; it’s a further indication of the erosion of the Christian heritage upon which this country was founded; indeed, it shows how far we’ve departed from our Christian heritage when we can’t even offer a simple thanks for food,” said Rev McLaughlin. McLaughlin said he'd contact the Alliance party to complain about the mayor not wanting to say Grace at her own installation dinner.

The DUP's Aileen Graham took a much more reasonable stance, saying ultimately, it was up to the Mayor whether to say grace or not. “Saying grace at the installation is a tradition and unionists have a very pro-grace attitude,” she said. “But at the end of the day, it was her night and you can’t force anyone to say grace if they don’t want to.”

The Stoops were typically stoopy about the whole thing, with the SDLP’s Pat Convery, who was at the event, saying the decision didn’t go unnoticed by guests on Saturday night. Me heart bleeds. PUP politician John Kyle said that “eyebrows were raised” at the “strange” omission. I'm sure the fact the PUP has representatives on BCC raises a few eyes too, buddy.

Row after Belfast's atheist mayor skips prayers before dinner at installation - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Hats off to Mrs McAllister.

The words of Grace is different depending on which branch of Christianity yer from.

Last edited:

GDPR

Unless you are going to ban atheists from being Mayor I cannot see the big deal here at all. Bit of a non-story.

Catalpast

What say the Bearded 1 ?

I mean the SF one

Is it OK to still say Grace B4 meals

- or has there been a change of policy position?

vivabrigada

The new Belfast mayor didn't say Grace, or invite anyone to say Grace before her installation dinner the other night. Nuala McAllister, an atheist, felt prayers weren't needed, as the food was made by chefs and not given by any gods. There were also a number of non-religious people at the dinner.

The Moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, Dr Noble McNeely had to resort to saying his own prayers at his own table but still grumbled about the fact everyone wasn't forced to observe his pre-dinner ritual. Oddly, Belfast High Sheriff The DUP's Tom Haire said that while some guests were annoyed at the absence of grace, his table didn’t miss out, thanks to his neighbour Rev McNeely. Were they 'annoyed' that non-believers didn't have to partake?

Rev McNeely said he believed “it’s a good thing to give grace before dinner” to “give God thanks for his goodness towards us and for the nourishment of each day”, especially at such a high-profile, public event.

'Very Annoyed'

Another follower of a god was also very annoyed with the host not requesting prayers at the new mayor's installation event. Free Presbyterian minister Rev David McLaughlin said Ms McAllister’s decision to scrap grace was a “glaring omission”.

“I’m very annoyed at this very sad state of affairs; it’s a further indication of the erosion of the Christian heritage upon which this country was founded; indeed, it shows how far we’ve departed from our Christian heritage when we can’t even offer a simple thanks for food,” said Rev McLaughlin. McLaughlin said he'd contact the Alliance party to complain about the mayor not wanting to say Grace at her own installation dinner.

The DUP's Aileen Graham took a much more reasonable stance, saying ultimately, it was up to the Mayor whether to say grace or not. “Saying grace at the installation is a tradition and unionists have a very pro-grace attitude,” she said. “But at the end of the day, it was her night and you can’t force anyone to say grace if they don’t want to.”

The Stoops were typically stoopy about the whole thing, with the SDLP’s Pat Convery, who was at the event, saying the decision didn’t go unnoticed by guests on Saturday night. Me heart bleeds. PUP politician John Kyle said that “eyebrows were raised” at the “strange” omission. I'm sure the fact the PUP has representatives on BCC raises a few eyes too, buddy.

Row after Belfast's atheist mayor skips prayers before dinner at installation - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Hats off to Mrs McAllister.

The words of Grace is different depending on which branch of Christianity yer from.
Rev. McLaughlin's country was founded on Protestant supremacy, it's already gone.

hollandia

Must be a slow news day at the telegraph. "Atheist won't say prayers".

vinoboy

If you invite a load of clerics and the tradition has been to say "grace" ,I suppose it does raise eyebrows among those regular attenders.

Personally ,do not give a hoot ,perhaps, it should be said at the local food banks when they hand food out .:D

GDPR

If you invite a load of clerics and the tradition has been to say "grace" ,I suppose it does raise eyebrows among those regular attenders.

Personally ,do not give a hoot ,perhaps, it should be said at the local food banks when they hand food out .:D
But if she is an atheist it would be totally hypocritical of her to have said "grace" would it not?

As long as she isnt advocating that all Mayors on this occasion don't say it I don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited:

vinoboy

But if she is an atheist it would be totally hypocritical of her to have said "grace" would it not?

As long as she is advocating that all Mayors on this occasion don't say it I don't see what the big deal is.
Agree ,if she is atheist it would have been hypocritical but to labour my point ,her audience is largely same at these events and the clerical element and others expected grace to be said as that has been the custom . Hence the the little storm in teacup .

Bigger issues to address and time to move on -immediately.

theloner

So you think the first citizen of a major city is a "non entity". noted.
Ray said the same about Hollywood star Ellen Page when she exposed the DUP's Maurice Mills religious rantings (Hurricane Katrina sent by a god to punish civilians because of gayness) to her 1,000,000+ followers on social media. It's pretty f*cking telling. :D

I am glad someone is taking a stand against the relics who have played a big part in keeping this island stuck well in the past and an embarrassing past at that. There's more to be done. If you fancy mumbling a few lines before you eat, do it yourself, don't bitch that we all don't join in on your ramblings.

raetsel

Seriously how many people bother with this nonsensical ritual in their own homes? The only place I ever see this done these days is at weddings when it is done for show, and only usually if the officiating clergyman shows up for the wedding meal. It is a relic from bygone days with no relevance to all but a small minority of religious fanatics I'd guess.
It actually is astonishing that anyone would be upset by an atheist opting out of it?
Anyway, I'm about to tuck into a nice prayer-free lunch. :)

Paddyc

So you think the first citizen of a major city is a "non entity". noted.
Ah come on. If you walked into the street right now and asked people to name the mayor of Belfast, how many would know the answer?

CastleRay

Ah come on. If you walked into the street right now and asked people to name the mayor of Belfast, how many would know the answer?
Just asked two people who it is. Neither knew. Neither were aware of this story either.

TBH, an installation dinner for this role should be consigned to history in its entirety, not just the pre-dinner grace.

Paddyc

Just asked two people who it is. Neither knew. Neither were aware of this story either.

TBH, an installation dinner for this role should be consigned to history in its entirety, not just the pre-dinner grace.
You can have the dinner, it's not a big deal and the mayor could have invited one of the clergy present to say grace for those people who like that sort of thing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies