Belfast

albanach

Just back from a very fascinating visit to Belfast.

Great pubs, great chats, an interesting political walking tour (starts with a SF councillor on the Falls then switches to a Loyalist one at the peace wall then down the Shankhill Rd) and friendly people in the whole.

I was curious to find out what everyone's first impressions of the place were? And would anyone recommend a good book, PDF even on cross-community projects? Have things moved on a lot or just a wee bit? I was told that South Belfast has areas that are very mixed regarding living, but outwith Belfast in smaller towns/villages, do people live together or is it basically the Protestants live at one end of the street and Catholics at the other?

Anyhoos, I enjoyed the north/Northern Ireland just like I have enjoyed visiting Ireland in general and hope to get back and over to the west coast sometime.

Cheers!

Se0samh

Great pubs, great chats, an interesting political walking tour (starts with a SF councillor on the Falls then switches to a Loyalist one at the peace wall then down the Shankhill Rd) and friendly people in the whole.

I was curious to find out what everyone's first impressions of the place were? And would anyone recommend a good book, PDF even on cross-community projects? Have things moved on a lot or just a wee bit? I was told that South Belfast has areas that are very mixed regarding living, but outwith Belfast in smaller towns/villages, do people live together or is it basically the Protestants live at one end of the street and Catholics at the other?

Anyhoos, I enjoyed the north/Northern Ireland just like I have enjoyed visiting Ireland in general and hope to get back and over to the west coast sometime.

Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed yourself, I hope you don't mind a bit of pedantry, but it's Shankill Road-no "h", from the Irish for old church...:)

raetsel

Cheers!
South Belfast is very mixed. My son lives in a very mixed area there.
In my experience most council estates, even if many of the properties have long been sold into private ownership, are still segregated, but areas where properties have always been privately owned are often mixed, particularly in towns which have a significant demographic mix to begin with.
The continuing existence of so called peace walls in Belfast are evidence that we still have a long way to go.

Catalpast

I can remember it in the 50s

- and those electric buses with the antenna and the sparks flying...

Stayed away from the place when the real sparks started flying!:|

Been up twice in recent years on day trips

We did the Titanic tour 1st time then Antrim coastline and Giants Causway

Brilliant!

2nd time did tour of Republican and Loyalist west Belfast

- did Ulster Hall

- also a visit to a Republican Museum on the Armed Struggle

- :cool:

Sword of Gideon

Glad you enjoyed your visit, you have probably seen more of Belfast than most locals.

Sickmick will be the one to give you all the answers to your questions, he says he knows more about Ireland than anyone.

GDPR

The problem with Belfast is that half the people are living in the 1960s and the other half are living in the 1860s but on the bright side it is nothing that a Nuclear bomb couldn't sort out. :)

between the bridges

Cheers!
Ach tis a grand place since the Ra surrendered...

Mickeymac

The problem with Belfast is that half the people are living in the 1960s and the other half are living in the 1860s but on the bright side it is nothing that a Nuclear bomb couldn't sort out. :)

It's not Ireland who is poking sticks at the Russian bear Ratio.:lol::lol::lol:

General Urko

I visited a few times post ceasefire and the one thing that really struck me was how chilled the people seem to be. I was expecting an in your face or a victims' complex attitude, I never saw any signs of either!
People were quite helpful and friendly.

Though, I did get a feeling from some, probably Catholics, that they regard us as los banditos, the Mexicans from South of the border and they seem to be under a misapprehension that they are the liberals on the island!:roll:

I also found it absolutely irresistible to play the game of 'spot The Taig/Spot The Jaffa' on the streets, keeping it to myself of course! And I reckon that wrt those folk you would care to hazzard a guess on re tribal affiliation, in the city centre, you would be right about 80% of the time!

Se0samh

I visited a few times post ceasefire and the one thing that really struck me was how chilled the people seem to be. I was expecting an in your face or a victims' complex attitude, I never saw any signs of either!
People were quite helpful and friendly.

Though, I did get a feeling from some, probably Catholics, that they regard us as los banditos, the Mexicans from South of the border and they seem to be under a misapprehension that they are the liberals on the island!:roll:

I also found it absolutely irresistible to play the game of 'spot The Taig/Spot The Jaffa' on the streets, keeping it to myself of course! And I reckon that wrt those folk you would care to hazzard a guess on re tribal affiliation, in the city centre, you would be right about 80% of the time!
petunia

If you are keeping your guesses to yourself, you'd think you'd be right 100% of the time. :lol:

former wesleyan

Fun fact : Belfast has two baseball teams but hundreds of baseball bats are sold.

albanach

Met a couple on the last night from Kildare and Waterford - said they decided to leave the car in the centre of town and do the bus tour rather risk driving in to dodgy areas with the IRL plates! He described the accent as "Glaswegian mixed with Irish but after some speed" ;)

Cheers for the replies.

I hope to come back and see more of the city and go north then west of the Bann.

And of course for an Ulster fry which makes a Scottish breakfast look like a salad.

death or glory

petunia

If you are keeping your guesses to yourself, you'd think you'd be right 100% of the time. :lol:
Was thinking that myself.

Se0samh

Met a couple on the last night from Kildare and Waterford - said they decided to leave the car in the centre of town and do the bus tour rather risk driving in to dodgy areas with the IRL plates! He described the accent as "Glaswegian mixed with Irish but after some speed" ;)

Cheers for the replies.

And of course for an Ulster fry which makes a Scottish breakfast look like a salad.
You'd be surprised at the number of cars with those type of plates parked in the most hardline of loyalist areas...though not perhaps belonging to drivers with southern accents...

Lots to see and in the main you'll find the people friendly...:D

hollandia

[video=youtube;80eq92g-bu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80eq92g-bu0[/video]

CastleRay

Apart from vivabrigada and I, do many other posters on here live in Belfast?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies