• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Belgian Neanderthal Cannibals

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Who would have Thunck it ? Cannibal Belgians

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jul/06/belgian-neanderthals-were-eating-each-other-40000-years-ago
It appears to have been a thorough process. There is evidence of skinning, cutting up, and extraction of bone marrow. Lead scientist Prof Hervé Bocherens, from the University of Tübingen in Germany, said: “These indications allow us to assume that the Neanderthals practised cannibalism. The many remains of horses and reindeer found in Goyet were processed the same way.”

Other hints of Neanderthal cannibalism have emerged previously in Spain and France. Four bones from Goyet clearly suggest that Neanderthals also used the remains of their deceased as tools.
Neandertal cannibalism and Neandertal bones used as tools in Northern Europe : Scientific Reports
Although bears can produce such traces36, the presence of cutmarks on several ribs (see below) suggests that the most parsimonious hypothesis is that they are anthropogenic. Traces of human chewing37,38 are also suspected on the Neandertal phalanges but are inconclusive

How does this sit with evolutionary psychology and vegetarianism more widely ?

cYp

Cruimh

And to think - some people are proud to be descended from these "Celts" .... Looks as if the Brits were right all along about the Irish Savages ..... Good old Giraldus .... :D

Brexit vindicated ?

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I was once swallowed whole by a lovely young woman in Bruxelles. I must confess, it wasn't an unpleasant experience.

Mitsui2

So that proud Belgian tradition of eating mussels may ultimately derive from some distant, linguistically-twisted race-memory of actually eating muscles?

Mind you that makes a weird sort of sense, if some of the stranger Belgians I've known were at all typical.

Prester Jim

Prester Jim

amsterdemmetje

Thanks for the heads up I'm sitting on a Terrace here in a little village in North Belgium drinking a cappuccino and there's a fine tasty waitress who just asked me would I like anything to eat. :cool:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Thanks for the heads up I'm sitting on a Terrace here in a little village in North Belgium drinking a cappuccino and there's a fine tasty waitress who just asked me would I like anything to eat. :cool:
Hmmmm, my sources tell me it's only the males who are cannibals, beware, she could be a honeytrap!

cyp

parentheses

And to think - some people are proud to be descended from these "Celts" .... Looks as if the Brits were right all along about the Irish Savages ..... Good old Giraldus .... :D

Brexit vindicated ?

Cruimh is conflating Neanderthals and Celts! WTF?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies