• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Belgian wants marriage annulled as his wife was born a boy

Clanrickard

Belgian discovers his wife used to be a man after 19 years - Telegraph

One of the things the sex change people go on about is their desire to re-write history and have documents changed to show that someone who has had a sex change was always of that sex to avoid embarrassing situations. However can someone demand an annulment if their partner has in effect lied to them about a past sex change? She was his former au pair whom he married. When the marriage got rocky he found out she was born male. The husband is now undergoing psychiatric treatment. Personally I think this is a cop out. He was happy with when things were going well and this sounds like an excuse to get separated. It will interesting to see how this pans out all the same.

D

Dylan2010

there was another case where a husband sued a wife because they had an ugly kid. Apparently the wife had loads of worked done to make her look more attractive. I think he won. In the case above, damn straight, what if he wanted kids and "she" just strung him along?

Radix

Sounds like a straighforward open and shut case to me.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I'v just finished watching the 6 ep's of Sky Atlantic's HIT AND MISS. IT is one of the best TV progs I have seen for awhile.

HIT AND MISS, from Paul Abbott, creator of Shameless and State of Play, is a high concept and ambitious new series that follows Chloë Sevigny as Mia, a contract killer with a secret: shes a transgender woman. Mias life is sent into a tailspin when she receives a letter from an ex-girlfriend dying from cancer revealing that Mia fathered a son eleven years ago.

Hit & Miss (TV Series 2012– ) - IMDb

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Might be of prurient interest to you, but certainly of no relevance to Irish Politics, so why post it here?
It's general discussion, sport has nothing to do with politics either.

Analyzer

A lot of people want the result of the last general election annulled, because the people they elected turned out to be a collection of people who were born donkeys.......

Neutron

Dont know about Belgian laws but wouldnt it be illegal for this person to marry in the first place?

Even though the woman/man had a sex change wouldnt they still legally be considered a man?

Nemesiscorporation

One of the things the sex change people go on about is their desire to re-write history and have documents changed to show that someone who has had a sex change was always of that sex to avoid embarrassing situations. However can someone demand an annulment if their partner has in effect lied to them about a past sex change? She was his former au pair whom he married. When the marriage got rocky he found out she was born male. The husband is now undergoing psychiatric treatment. Personally I think this is a cop out. He was happy with when things were going well and this sounds like an excuse to get separated. It will interesting to see how this pans out all the same.
I would find it hard to believe he did not know.

Anyway in Belgium from my understanding of the law, she is legally female and if they have been married for years, probably is an attempt to get out of paying maintenance or something like that.

I believe Italy has a clause in its sex change law that if a person does not object to the person having changed sex within a couple of years of being married, then tough, if they object later or something like that. I can not be bothered going and reading up on the subject to in depth.

My understanding of the present situation for people who change sex in Europe, is that only in Ireland and Lithuania is it not possible to legally change sex. It used to be legal in lithuania until the ultra-right wing catholic government changed the rules that the soviets had implemented in the 60's, presumely for there olympic team and in Ireland there of course is the need to deny reality as usual.

The law should be changed in Ireland so that if someone gets surgery to get a strap a 'snip and tuck' or a 'strap a dick to me' then they should be legally the new sex. Ireland will probably have to lose in the EU courts and then wait 20 years for an insane incident to occur before changing the law.

Nemesiscorporation

Dont know about Belgian laws but wouldnt it be illegal for this person to marry in the first place?

Even though the woman/man had a sex change wouldnt they still legally be considered a man?
Wrong.

In Europe only if Irish born and living in Ireland and Lithuanian born and living in Lithuania.

In the rest of Europe, including Albania, Serbia and the rest of the Balkans waiting to join the EU, transsexual people have full rights.

As usual Ireland has resorted to social regression to avoid getting with the program.

Seriously, open wikipedia or google before typing.

stopdoingstuff

I have no issues with the legality of changing sex but it is something that many people would consider to be a material fact when deciding to marry someone. If something is so material that it would impact the decision to marry, then I think the other party to the marriage should have a legal obligation to disclose it, and in cases where the truth has come to light, it ought to be grounds for annulment.

Watcher2

A cop out??? Damn straight (no pun intended). If he did not know he was a man then he has every right to get out of the "marriage". A fraud on a very personal nature was perpetrated on this guy. This is a very serious issue.

sic transit

Aside from the prurience at work here, anything goes when relationship go bad and it is really his own matter to deal with. As usual some posters are the experts on everything despite having scant details.

Watcher2

I would find it hard to believe he did not know.

Anyway in Belgium from my understanding of the law, she is legally female and if they have been married for years, probably is an attempt to get out of paying maintenance or something like that.

I believe Italy has a clause in its sex change law that if a person does not object to the person having changed sex within a couple of years of being married, then tough, if they object later or something like that. I can not be bothered going and reading up on the subject to in depth.

My understanding of the present situation for people who change sex in Europe, is that only in Ireland and Lithuania is it not possible to legally change sex. It used to be legal in lithuania until the ultra-right wing catholic government changed the rules that the soviets had implemented in the 60's, presumely for there olympic team and in Ireland there of course is the need to deny reality as usual.

The law should be changed in Ireland so that if someone gets surgery to get a strap a 'snip and tuck' or a 'strap a dick to me' then they should be legally the new sex. Ireland will probably have to lose in the EU courts and then wait 20 years for an insane incident to occur before changing the law.
I couldn't disagree more. If you are born obne sex, the law should not recognise any change to that gender. It would be like that guy who has had all those tattoos and face imnplants to make him look like a lion. Should he be legally recognised a lion? I dont think so.

And what of a situation like this Belgian case where the spouse is not told or informed until after a wedding that they married someone of their own gender?

Nemesiscorporation

I couldn't disagree more. If you are born obne sex, the law should not recognise any change to that gender. It would be like that guy who has had all those tattoos and face imnplants to make him look like a lion. Should he be legally recognised a lion? I dont think so.

And what of a situation like this Belgian case where the spouse is not told or informed until after a wedding that they married someone of their own gender?
Disagree all you want. Most European countries dealt with this issue back in the 70's. it is a required standard when joining the EU to facilitate transsexuals to legally change sex. Get over it.

Ireland as usual followed the UK in its need to be backward where the UK lost in a 100% unanimous decisions in both the ECJ and ECHR. The UK actually got a hatrick for its bigotry on that one.

Ireland is actually behind countries such as Albania, Italy, Romania, Turkey and Iran on this issue.

Saudi Arabia and Kuwait does not allow a change of sex. You could move there to fit in.

sic transit

Disagree all you want. Most European countries dealt with this issue back in the 70's. it is a required standard when joining the EU to facilitate transsexuals to legally change sex. Get over it.

Ireland as usual followed the UK in its need to be backward where the UK lost in a 100% unanimous decisions in both the ECJ and ECHR. The UK actually got a hatrick for its bigotry on that one.

Ireland is actually behind countries such as Albania, Italy, Romania, Turkey and Iran on this issue.
In this case the disintegration of a relationship is at the core of it and all you want to do is bang on about the backwardness of Ireland and use it as an excuse to promote your own agenda. Given your stout defence of the rights of others that is somewhat hypocritical.

controller

Disagree all you want. Most European countries dealt with this issue back in the 70's. it is a required standard when joining the EU to facilitate transsexuals to legally change sex. Get over it. Ireland as usual followed the UK in its need to be backward where the UK lost in a 100% unanimous decisions in both the ECJ and ECHR. The UK actually got a hatrick for its bigotry on that one. Ireland is actually behind countries such as Albania, Italy, Romania, Turkey and Iran on this issue. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait does not allow a change of sex. You could move there to fit in.
So because you don't agree with a posters opinion.......out come the insults..........

Watcher2

Saudi Arabia and Kuwait does not allow a change of sex. You could move there to fit in.
No need to be so touchy. And just because the EU has said its good, does not mean it acrtually is good. I know, its really ludicrous to suggest the EU does not know it all. Look at what they have done with the place.