Ben Gilroy avoids the slammer

automaticforthepeople

Far right former leader of Direct Democracy Ireland has just missed out on a taste of porridge after he received a suspended sentence for contempt of court.

He posted on social media referring to a judge as a member of a satanic cult. DDI constantly undermined legal services in this country claiming they were invalid under law and that as Freemen they were above the law. Seems Ben reckoned that one of the learned friends was in league with the devil himself.

Ben Gilroy received 6.5% of the vote in a by election in 2013 in Meath East.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/anti-eviction-campaigner-ben-gilroy-gets-suspended-sentence-1.3483542

Pabilito

I spent a fair bit of time in the Sean Mc Dermott St Magdeline Laundry visiting my aunt the Nun during the sixties and seventies.. it was mostly on Saturday’s and Sunday’s

The “girls” as they were called were very friendly towards myself and brother.. we’d spend a lot of time sliding on the polished corridors and diving into the wicker basket’s full of blankets in the laundry..

We’d have Kimberley and Micado biscuits with white lemonade in the Parlour while our parents had tea and sandwiches from china tea cups,,

I remember Dickie Rock doing a concert there.. “Spit On Me Dickie” the girls screamed!.

We’d watch Shirly Temple movies on an old Bulls Eye Telly on the stage on Sunday afternoons..

The “Girls” would share Quality Street sweets with us..

My aunt the nun would teach the girls embroidery and sell their work to Arnotts and give the girls the money to spend in the tuck shop she set up for them..

It wasn’t all bad.

I recall my aunt the Nun wearing very heavy Nuns clothes in the steamy laundry on hot summer days

Catalpast

I spent a fair bit of time in the Sean Mc Dermott St Magdeline Laundry visiting my aunt the Nun during the sixties and seventies.. it was mostly on Saturday’s and Sunday’s

The “girls” as they were called were very friendly towards myself and brother.. we’d spend a lot of time sliding on the polished corridors and diving into the wicker basket’s full of blankets in the laundry..

We’d have Kimberley and Micado biscuits with white lemonade in the Parlour while our parents had tea and sandwiches from china tea cups,,

I remember Dickie Rock doing a concert there.. “Spit On Me Dickie” the girls screamed!.

We’d watch Shirly Temple movies on an old Bulls Eye Telly on the stage on Sunday afternoons..

My aunt the nun would teach the girls embroidery and sell their work to Arnotts and give the girls the money to spend in the tuck shop she set up for them..
It wasn’t all bad.
Jeepers your done for now....:shock:

Cdebru

Far right former leader of Direct Democracy Ireland has just missed out on a taste of porridge after he received a suspended sentence for contempt of court.

He posted on social media referring to a judge as a member of a satanic cult. DDI constantly undermined legal services in this country claiming they were invalid under law and that as Freemen they were above the law. Seems Ben reckoned that one of the learned friends was in league with the devil himself.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/anti-eviction-campaigner-ben-gilroy-gets-suspended-sentence-1.3483542
Why would he apologise to an institution that he apparently doesn't believe has any authority over him ?

Pabilito

Jeepers your done for now....:shock:
Yes, but I was actually there.. inside the place many many times.. how many posters here were?

Incidentally the gardens were beautiful with a waterfall and a beautiful green wooden wendy house.

There was also a separate walled off gnome garden.. we weren’t allowed to go there.. we could just see the gnomes through the gate.

Levellers

It wasn’t all bad.

I recall my aunt the Nun wearing very heavy Nuns clothes in the steamy laundry on hot summer days
So all the women from the laundries are lying and the nuns never sold babies fro £1,000 a shot to Americans?

What fools we've been to think any different.

Levellers

It wasn’t all bad.

So all the women from the laundries are lying and the nuns never sold babies for £1,000 a shot to Americans?

Clanrickard

Ben Gilroy is not far right.

Analyzer

Ben Gilroy is simply the ideology of Ben Gilroy. Trying to categorize him is impossible. He literally could not be put on any place on any political spectrum. He is making it up as he goes along.

He is a professional protest politician. RBB minus the ideology, plus a brain (not hard when compared to RBB) and plus a big belly.

Socratus O' Pericles

Bit of a nonentity this guy, I thought it was Ben Conroy at first glance...now him I would like to put in the slammer.

Researchwill

It wasn’t all bad.

How much of the system was bad? I have a friend who had a Aunt who was pregnant in the 60"s in the west of Ireland, her Family supported her. She disappeared one day, was picked up by AGS and brought to Tuam. Her family kicked up so much the women was "released" from custody for the crime of being pregnant and unmarried. Are you saying that form your visits as a privileged guest you can say not one women was kidnapped, not one child abused and no baby sold?

If you are saying that some indeed many in the system thought and actually did good things yes, but you can not say that the system was fit for purpose unless that purpose was to abuse young women and children by and large.

Clanrickard

Q-Tours

It doesn't. Far right means fascist. Gilroy is libertarian. A quick Google would have haloed.
He strikes me as more of an anarchist. At one stage he denied being a Freemaniac, but he did maintain that statutes disn't apply to him. While I sympathise with some of the people he has supported, the way he has set about it rarely seems to work to their benefit.

Buchaill Dana

He strikes me as more of an anarchist. At one stage he denied being a Freemaniac, but he did maintain that statutes disn't apply to him. While I sympathise with some of the people he has supported, the way he has set about it rarely seems to work to their benefit.
I think that's the point. The minute those Freementalers show up, the poor sod facing eviction increases their chances of losing to 100%.

What I'm not sure about is are they well meaning but naive fools or is there something more sinister afoot

Pabilito

So all the women from the laundries are lying and the nuns never sold babies for £1,000 a shot to Americans?

Look, it was 1950/60’s Ireland.. the Nuns were every bit as compromised as everyone else with regard to the morality of the times.

My aunt the Nun cried telling a story about a girl about her own age who was put in the laundry by a brother who used it as a way of getting rid of her after he inherited the family farm and got married.. his new wife didn’t want a spinster sister in law about the place… that’s how it was in 1950’s Irish society..

the Magdalene’s were a convenient means for a dysfunctional Irish society to dispose of unwanted inconvenient people.

Your notion that the Nuns were harvesting young mothers for profit is silly.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies