• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Benchmarking: how well did we do?

firefly123

The benchmarking process has been described as one of the main causes of our financial ruin. I decided to find out just how well I did out of the two rounds of benchmarking that occurred.
The first was in 2002
http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/D50C1A4E-2236-405E-BF73-2BA74A43DEE2/0/Bench.PDF

I am employed as a firefighter paramedic in Dublin and received 5% during this round.

The second round of benchmarking in 2007
http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/Benchmarking/2ndBmarkreport.pdf

We received a 0% rise in pay from round two of benchmarking. We piggy backed on the Garda review and they got zilch also.

So out of the two rounds of benchmarking we received a 5% rise altogether. That has been more than recouped with the paycuts and levy last year.

So......
I decided to see what someone higher up the scale would receive. The highest level in the local authority sector ( which is where I work) is the Senior executive officer grade. They got a 13.8% increse in benchmarking 1 and a 5% increase in benchmarking 2. A whopping total of 18.8%.

It is the same across all sectors. The ordinary PS got a moderate increase which has been wiped out plus change by last years cuts while the higher grades got massive increases and reduced cuts last year.
We are not all the same and many of us are doing their best for the public.

'orebel

That must be soul destroying. What do you have unions for?

Rebel_Yell

From talking to PS friends the issue with the PS doesn't seem to be with the pay of individuals. The discrepancy between the public and private sectors has been substantially eroded by the pension levy and pay cut.

The real issue seems to be the sheer numbers in the PS. In particular the number of people brought in for special projects and task forces that were then made permanent. We eroded the number of worker bees in favour of a vast array of middle management posts.

I still think an independent benchmarking exercise now would be useful so that we could all see what the position is rather than this constant assertion and rebuttal based on very little actual information.

firefly123

That must be soul destroying. What do you have unions for?
Long walks down oconnell street to listen to jack o Connor shout outside an empty dail. Doing our damndest to get out of the big unions. They are an absolute joke. It makes me laugh when I read people on here talk about the government or labour being in the thrall of unions. They are a spent force of bearded out of touch has beens.

firefly123

From talking to PS friends the issue with the PS doesn't seem to be with the pay of individuals. The discrepancy between the public and private sectors has been substantially eroded by the pension levy and pay cut.

The real issue seems to be the sheer numbers in the PS. In particular the number of people brought in for special projects and task forces that were then made permanent. We eroded the number of worker bees in favour of a vast array of middle management posts.

I still think an independent benchmarking exercise now would be useful so that we could all see what the position is rather than this constant assertion and rebuttal based on very little actual information.
Based on a separate analysis I did a few days ago we are actually below average in size for public sector. Our problems the too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Plus the many of the chiefs spend all day smoking the peace pipe and looking up squaws on the Internet.... If I am not stretching the concept too far!

dresden8

I got c. 8% and have since lost 14%.

That's why talk of benchmarking pisses my tits off.

cozzy121

Long walks down oconnell street to listen to jack o Connor shout outside an empty dail. Doing our damndest to get out of the big unions. They are an absolute joke. It makes me laugh when I read people on here talk about the government or labour being in the thrall of unions. They are a spent force of bearded out of touch has beens.
O'Connor has been tainted with his buddy-buddy relationship with corrupt-bertie.

He lay down with a dog and is now flea-ridden.

loner

You were lucky that Jack was about--would say most of the fat cat comrades were in far flung places on exploratory missions in the cause of Ireland

loner

Based on a separate analysis I did a few days ago we are actually below average in size for public sector. Our problems the too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Plus the many of the chiefs spend all day smoking the peace pipe and looking up squaws on the Internet.... If I am not stretching the concept too far!
Sounds accurate to me.....

dresden8

west'sawake

I left teaching, giving up a permanent job (but not pensionable, I opted out,) in 1997 and worked in the private sector until 2004 where I was better paid. Pay increases from partnership deals and benchmarking did generously increase teachers pay over the 7 years I was out by almost 40%, with increments increasing too, way more than inflation, a real increase of about 20% I'd say. I returned to the profession only to see those increases wiped out with the pension levy, the pay cut, the other levies, etc. (I'd be quite happy to pay no pension and not receive same, but organise my own) Ah well back to the future. Still see an awful lot of waste in the non teaching side, inspectorate, inservice facilitators, rural co-ordinators, education centres, Teaching Council, curriculum planners, all that should be dumped in this time of crisis and pupil teacher ratios got down. If the experts are as good as we are led to believe let them show us on the coal face. Also, the Junior Cert Curriculum is way too heavy, msot kids doing 11 or 12 subjects to exam level and two non exam subjects. Not enough focus on Maths either in National Schools.

paddywhack

Bechmarking was the greates rip off ever in this country, particularly for politicians and higher paid public servants. There are large numbers of public servants who are still on low wages but they are penalised more than the higher grade public servants.

civilserpant

The benchmarking concept came about due to the haemoraging of skill public servants from the civil and publics services in the late 90's. As the boom took off, large numbers of HEO-PO's left to join the private sector. in most cases they were head hunted as they had years of work experience, were well trained and computer literate.

This was particularly the case for Revenue staff and ICT staff, who were poached almost immediately their trianing was complete. Theres the famous story of when Dunnes went and instructed their accountancy team to offer the entire revenue audit team that were due to audit them. jobs at more than 3 times their wages.

Its worth bearing in mind that while joe public has this image of civil servants being clerical workers doing a 'job anyone can do', 40% of the CS is actually technical staff - engineers, surveyors, inspectors etc and these skills wer ein huge demand.

When Goldsmith Fitzgerald examined trends in turnover across the civil service, it found that an increase in the staff turnover rate in 1999 to 3.75% was due to a doubling of the resignation rate between 1996 and 1999 . Skilled staff were leaving, frustrated by the barriers they hit in their careers and deciding to explore options in the newly dynamic private sector. The lifting of the embargo and a modernisation agenda had arrived, but so to had private sector opportunities for many a public servant. PA Consulting, reporting in 2002, found that ‘recruiting and retaining staff in a highly competitive labour market has been a significant challenge’ . The Irish Civil Service now had competition in the careers marketplace.