Bernadette Scully - ACQUITTED

Emily Davison

Should this case ever have even come to trial?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/bernadette-scully-found-not-guilty-of-the-manslaughter-of-her-disabled-daughter-emily-35299460.html

Emily had microcephaly, severe epilepsy and couldn’t speak or move. She’d been in pain for the last eight days of her life, having had a medical procedure to replace the tube into her stomach, through which she received fluids and medication.

Was there a public interest in having this trial?

Does Ireland support families who have profoundly disabled children?

Bea C

Should this case every have even come to trial?

Bernadette Scully found not guilty of the manslaughter of her disabled daughter Emily - Independent.ie

Emily had microcephaly, severe epilepsy and couldn’t speak or move. She’d been in pain for the last eight days of her life, having had a medical procedure to replace the tube into her stomach, through which she received fluids and medication.

No.

silverharp

the law is the law, argue to get the law changed, you cant give the nod to parents to bump off their own disabled children.

hollandia

the law is the law, argue to get the law changed, you cant give the nod to parents to bump off their own disabled children.
There's a vast difference between "bumping off" and allowing to die with dignity. One of the most shameful and heartless posts I've ever seen on p.ie. Take a bow.

Roll_On

Good outcome, but Euthanasia remains illegal in this state so a trial was of course needed. I don't agree that euthanasia ought to be banned but it is the law for now.

Emily Davison

GP found not guilty of daughter's manslaughter

Emily was profoundly disabled from birth. She had microcephaly and severe epilepsy and could not communicate, stand, sit or walk.

She had hearing and vision impairment and chronic digestive problems. She needed round-the-clock one-to-one care.

She was on 13 different medications including anti-seizure drugs. Her mother said she had to fight for services and "people are not queuing up to help you when you a child with special needs."

Disillusioned democrat

It was a very sad case, one that should have been given a wide berth by the media, but for some reason RTE went full ghoul on it. Lot's more relevant news buried in the meantime.

Good decision.

O

Oscurito

This thread has been pretty restrained so far. Long may it remain so although I can think of a few curmudgeons who will likely come in and disgrace themselves.

jas376

There's a vast difference between "bumping off" and allowing to die with dignity. One of the most shameful and heartless posts I've ever seen on p.ie. Take a bow.
There is also a big difference between over-dosing a child with sedative and allowing someone to die with dignity. The child had no choice in this case.

I get the Impression that the mother is already serving a sentence with a life term and no possibility of remission.

My heart goes out to her.

hollandia

This thread has been pretty restrained so far. Long may it remain so although I can think of a few curmudgeons who will likely come in and disgrace themselves.
There is also a big difference between over-dosing a child with sedative and allowing someone to die with dignity. The child had no choice in this case.
And as if by magic...

Emily Davison

Can you explain the difference between overdosing with sedative and dying with dignity?

Emily Davison

I get the Impression that the mother is already serving a sentence with a life term and no possibility of remission.

My heart goes out to her.
Anyone following this case Des can see that. I couldn't believe this when I heard it from the trial a week ago(copy from RTE link above)

She said around that time she was exhausted and burnt out and had been forced to go back to work in her GPs practice just days previously.

She said she had asked a psychiatrist to sign her off work but she had refused, suggesting instead that she put her daughter into residential care during the week.

jas376

Can you explain the difference between overdosing with sedative and dying with dignity?
Allowing someone to die with dignity surely means that the person has a choice in the matter. I'd be all in favour of voluntary euthanasia but anything short of that I'd be wary of.

Gurdiev77

Should this case ever have even come to trial?

Bernadette Scully found not guilty of the manslaughter of her disabled daughter Emily - Independent.ie

I think such a case would have to have some form of review, especially given that the Mum was a doctor. Tragic for all involved.

Perhaps there should be a special type of closed tribunal for cases such as this .

Without a doubt it should not reveive daily coverage in the media. Should be something akin to a family court.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies