• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bernard Dunne, Kevin Myers and the Irish Language

cashinhand

The former bantam weight world champion Bernard Dunne didn't manage to pass his academic Irish exams in school... due to being exhausted from training the nights before the early-morning classes!

His interest in the language was kindled in the USA, encountering for example a Mexican-American family proud of their Mexican-Spanish language heritage.

He has now taken to learning the language with gusto, and is improving all the time, hoping to be proficient before too long: he is in a race with his children to get "fluent" first!

Kevin Myers and Paul McGrath have endorsed his efforts to encourage people across Ireland and the world to use whatever Irish they have, and to be proud to use it... hence Bród (Pride) and the Bród Club.

I was excited to read Bernard's interview on Beo! today; there was an infectious enthusiasm about it. I think it is partly because he is coming from a "tough area" of Dublin, his personal massive achievement of becoming a world boxing champion, and his willingness to turn the page on not acquiring Irish in a formal school setting and settting out to learn the language himself.

I am sorry if this has been discussed before. The Beo! article has lots of vocabulary help if you just roll your mouse over "difficult" phrases or words, if you'd like to have a go at reading it.

Anyway, what do you make of Bernard Dunne's public efforts with one of our two official languages? Do you agree there is something fresh about it? Or is it just more of the same?

Last edited:

harshreality

Fair play to Bernard Dunne, and anyone else who takes up such a project.
it will be interesting to see how it goes for him.

I was fluent as a child but badly need to brush up on my language skills and hope to re-learn the language.

It shan't be too long though before the sneers arrive and lampoon such efforts.

Riadach

I think Myers interest in this could be considered mercenary at best.

ger12

I think Myers interest in this could be considered mercenary at best.
I dunno. A couple of years ago I heard him praising a CnG policy.

carlovian

The former bantam weight world champion Bernard Dunne didn't managed to pass his academic Irish exams in school... due to being exhausted from training the nights before the early-morning classes!

His interest in the language was kindled in the USA, encountering for example a Mexican-American family proud of their Mexican-Spanish language heritage.

He has now taken to learning the language with gusto, and is improving all the time, hoping to be proficient before too long: he is in a race with his children to get "fluent" first!

Kevin Myers and Paul McGrath have endorsed his efforts to encourage people across Ireland and the world to use whatever Irish they have, and to be proud to use it... hence Bród (Pride) and the Bród Club.

I was excited to read Bernard's interview on Beo! today; there was an infectious enthusiasm about it. I think it is partly because he is coming from a "tough area" of Dublin, his personal massive achievement of becoming a world boxing champion, and his willingness to turn the page on not acquiring Irish in a formal school setting and settting out to learn the language himself.

I am sorry if this has been discussed before. The Beo! article has lots of vocabulary help if you just roll your mouse over "difficult" phrases or words, if you'd like to have a go at reading it.

Anyway, what do you make of Bernard Dunne's public efforts with one of our two official languages? Do you agree there is something fresh about it? Or is it just more of the same?
Great to see it.

If your going to promote it, then change Myers in the thread to big Paul.

Myers ain't flavour of the month round these parts and the thread will degenerate into an anti Myers thread.

ger12

harshreality

Can't quite remember. It was when DmacC was president of CnG. Education and Irish I think at Primary level.
Interesting, I must investigate further as I don't believe I have ever heard Myers praise anything......ever!

ger12

Interesting, I must investigate further as I don't believe I have ever heard Myers praise anything......ever!
Might have been Stádas. Gettin on, memory not as it used to be.

Riadach

Davy Broderick

It's fresh, I think, and he will get a lot of pleasure out of it. There is a lot of baggage attached to Irish - you can see a lot of it on this site - but when you learn or speak Irish simply because it's an interesting thing to do, you get a kick out of it.

We are civilised by being able to speak and think in another language. Good on Bernard.

Niall996

I wouldn't knock it. Happy for him. If the language is to have any hope it will have to come from a ground up movement. People learning it for fun and personal reasons. The decades of ugly force feeding and nonsense have been a complete failure and a complete waste of time. Would happily see people turning to the language out of real desire.

edifice.

I wouldn't knock it. Happy for him. If the language is to have any hope it will have to come from a ground up movement. People learning it for fun and personal reasons. The decades of ugly force feeding and nonsense have been a complete failure and a complete waste of time. Would happily see people turning to the language out of real desire.
Aim for conversational Irish, take it out of the rigid 3/4 hour class and have it deliberately informal throughout the school and working day. You don't have to be fluent in gear coefficients in order to know how to drive a car. Better a 1000 people speaking imperfect plausible Irish commenting on tits and football than having 10 fluent speakers boring the bo!!ix out of you with Peig.

Dr Pat

Great to see interest from Bernard Dunne and yes. Kevin Myers too. The Irish language is and should remain non-political and is available to all. Look at the proud Gaelic-speaking Protestants in the Western Isles of Scotland. Long may it continue!

Last edited: