• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Berraway and Ken Rohan

mollox

I'm not suggesting any connection with Rohan payments to Berraway but....

In the 1994 Finance Act, then Minister for Finance Bertie Ahern introduced an amendment whose effect was to eliminate an estimated £1m BIK tax liability assessed by the Revenue Commissioners against Ken Rohan.

Not only that, but the relief was made retrospective to 1983! It has since been widely reported in the media that Ken Rohan was the sole known beneficiary of this amendment. Indeed, it has been alleged in the media that Rohan’s accountants may have drafted the precise wording of that amendment.

Rohan had furnished his home "Charleville" in Enniskerry with very expensive antiques and objets d’art which were actually owned by his company. The Revenue had assessed him as having a BIK liability which was reported to exceed £1m.

Rohan was contesting the Revenue assessment of BIK libility, but the very fact that the Government deemed it necessary to amend legislation would suggest that the Revenue may have had a reasonably good case in the first instance.

loner

1994 Finance Act

Given the involvement of Berties close friend Des Richardson with the Rohan group and the current controversy about Berties digout I believe it is imperative that Bertie explain the reason for the provision in the 1994 Act that seemed to benefit Ken Rohan and no other citizen.

HanleyS

Yes, but a trawl of Richardson's accounts would show if the alleged invoices were raised, who paid them and where did the money eveentually end up and with whom. An explanation from Bert is irrelevant, most of us don't believe him anyway.

droghedasouth

Re: 1994 Finance Act

loner said:
Given the involvement of Berties close friend Des Richardson with the Rohan group and the current controversy about Berties digout I believe it is imperative that Bertie explain the reason for the provision in the 1994 Act that seemed to benefit Ken Rohan and no other citizen.
Difficult for BA to repeat the old "no favour asked, no favour given" mantra.

A post-1996 trawl of Richardson's accounts might bring some skeletons to light, and Judge Mahon made a ruling yesterday that if they deem it necessary, and I think they will, then they will conduct a pre-1992 and post-1996 trawl on Richardson's strange accounts, to add to the one ordered yesterday. The only problem in relation to Rohan, who is well known to Tribunal-watchers, is that he might be constitutionally within his rights to get anything not on the 'J1' list struck out. And the Tribunal are anxious to finish this year. The only alternative would be for the Oireachtas to expand the Tribunal's Terms of Reference, which won't happen while the Corner Boy is in charge..

The Tribunal had a list of subjects of inquiry they declared they were looking at under their Terms Of Reference, such as Quarryvale and related matters. They then, when their therms of reference expanded, were required to declare by a certain date they were to study certain other cases, to be included in the J2 list. Many of the cases weren't declared by the Tribunal, such as the Fitzwilton (Tony O'Reilly) module, on time, and the Supreme Court struck them out. So anything that doesn't now come under the ambit of already-declared subjects of inquiry can't at present be looked into by the Tribunal, unless they can show a link with one of the subjects they are inquiring into, e.g. a link with Quarryvale.

HanleyS

I find it all pretty disgusting. Ahern & Co dragging their heels to waste tribunal time and money. The new bill will no doubt serve to protect the vested interests of Fianna Fail supporters and backers. The CAB should be recovering the funds and there should be criminal proceedings where necessary. I'm starting to think the tribunal bills were money well spent.

loner

HanleyS said:
I find it all pretty disgusting. Ahern & Co dragging their heels to waste tribunal time and money. The new bill will no doubt serve to protect the vested interests of Fianna Fail supporters and backers. The CAB should be recovering the funds and there should be criminal proceedings where necessary. I'm starting to think the tribunal bills were money well spent.
Ihave very little doubt that the money being spent on this Tribunal---particularly when Iponder the expenditure on PPARS and EVOTING machines and their storage----is money well spent and having seen the contributions of the witnesses at the Tribunal on 7 November I am satisfied that this nation will owe a huge debt of gratitude to Tom Gilmartin.

loner said:
HanleyS said:
Ihave very little doubt that the money being spent on this Tribunal---particularly when Iponder the expenditure on PPARS and EVOTING machines and their storage----is money well spent and having seen the contributions of the witnesses at the Tribunal on 7 November I am satisfied that this nation will owe a huge debt of gratitude to Tom Gilmartin.
Particularly given:

1)His age and health.
2)He was outside the jurisdiction and didn't have to do it.
3)The gutter tactics of those who lined up to give him a kicking for speaking out.
4)The effect on his family and his wife, who is paralysed with MS.

Those who ridiculed and insulted him will be reminded of their words..

HanleyS

As an other poster said today, these people are the reason we sit in gridlock traffic every day and we have no proper services in our communities. The problems caused by these people have cost the country billions. The trbunals are worth every penny to expose these people. It's only a pity the CAB isn't going after the ill gotten gains. Charlie Haughey's estate should have been recovered to offset the cost of the tribunals.

Tom Gilmartin is a man who will go down in Irish History for standing up to the corruption and hegmony of Fianna Fail*

*Albeit there are some in FF with integrity, for God's sake wont they stand up for their own self worth.
It's a shame that Colley lost to Haughey all those years ago.

FakeViking

HanleyS said:
As an other poster said today, these people are the reason we sit in gridlock traffic every day and we have no proper services in our communities. The problems caused by these people have cost the country billions. The trbunals are worth every penny to expose these people. It's only a pity the CAB isn't going after the ill gotten gains. Charlie Haughey's estate should have been recovered to offset the cost of the tribunals.
Don't worry, tonys will be along shortly with proof that it was all FG's fault! :roll:

stanley

I now believe Tonys is just a professional paid spin doctor for FF and it does not matter what anyone posts on this site he will argue the opposite and try to belittle posters and stamp on everybody's opinions in case journos or maybe even the tribunal itself gather little clues or look at things in a different way.

loner

Ithink that in the light of the information coming to light over the past few weeks people like Tonys will have to cop themselves on an realise the futility of their attempts to continue to defend the indefensible

loner said:
Ithink that in the light of the information coming to light over the past few weeks people like Tonys will have to cop themselves on an realise the futility of their attempts to continue to defend the indefensible
I think this poster is given too much credence, everyone seems to want to try and convince someone who is not there to be convinced. Far better to ignore, I'd say...

towny

Stockbrokers making 'political' contributions on behalf of clients...........pigs are flying.....