• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bertie Ahern's Tax Status... is he compliant yet ?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Was having a look back at some old threads here and came across a few referring to Bertie Ahern's tax status...

In 2002 Bertie Ahern declared himself to be tax compliant, but was subsequently unable to furnish a tax clearance certificate after being elected in 2007, and lodged a considerable sum of money with Revenue in case a judgement was made against him... he was allowed continue as a TD and Taoiseach, because Revenue were still reviewing his case in light of allegations made in the Mahon Tribunal... however, that has subsequently reported, so Revenue should be able to work out whether he has any liability or not..

So, since then, has he settled up his affairs with Revenue ?

Did he have to make a further payment over and above what he lodged with Revenue ?

Was he tax compliant as he said he was in 2002 ?

If he hasn't settled with the Revenue, should the State be continuing to pay his a substantial pension from scarce State resources ?

Why hasn't Micheal Martin asked questions about this in the Dail ?

Analyzer

My immediate response when I seen the title was to burst out laffin....

Be careful now folks. You might say something controversial.

Remember Irish Defamation Law. Da Bert has "a right to good name" regardless of what activity he ever got up to in the past.

Nemesiscorporation

Remember Irish Defamation Law. Da Bert has "a right to good name" regardless of what activity he ever got up to in the past.
He has a right to a good name.

How would he define a good name as a matter of interest?

lying eyes

Was having a look back at some old threads here and came across a few referring to Bertie Ahern's tax status...

In 2002 Bertie Ahern declared himself to be tax compliant, but was subsequently unable to furnish a tax clearance certificate after being elected in 2007, and lodged a considerable sum of money with Revenue in case a judgement was made against him... he was allowed continue as a TD and Taoiseach, because Revenue were still reviewing his case in light of allegations made in the Mahon Tribunal... however, that has subsequently reported, so Revenue should be able to work out whether he has any liability or not..

Did he have to make a further payment over and above what he lodged with Revenue ?

If he hasn't settled with the Revenue, should the State be continuing to pay his a substantial pension from scarce State resources ?

Tricky Micky Martin does not ask questions relating to tax- money lodged in accounts - I wonder why??????

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Tricky Micky Martin does not ask questions relating to tax- money lodged in accounts - I wonder why??????
Well he should.. I am pretty sure as potential Taoiseach, he should care about making sure all tax monies owed are collected.. shouldn't he

Analyzer

Well he should.. I am pretty sure as potential Taoiseach, he should care about making sure all tax monies owed are collected.. shouldn't he
Second great laugh of this thread. But not as hilarious as the question about Ditherer's tax compliance.

jpc

And given that article in the SBP about the Revenue withholding tax clearance certs from the self employed if they do not pay the property tax makes it all the more ironic a thread.
The government and taxman only walk around like they have a big pair when dealing with the small guys.
For anyone else its raisins in the sack.
Amazing that!

oggy

In this country it is long established practice to maintain secrecy between Revenue and individual taxpayer. You are either a prized eejit for not knowing this or as is obvious only starting a thread to feed the eejits who subscribe to your eejitry. Is eejitry a word ?

Oh, as SF have a reputation for building a dossier on people perhaps you can request them to locate Ahern's file at Revenue ?

CarnivalOfAction

In this country it is long established practice to maintain secrecy between Revenue and individual taxpayer. You are either a prized eejit for not knowing this or as is obvious only starting a thread to feed the eejits who subscribe to your eejitry. Is eejitry a word ?

Oh, as SF have a reputation for building a dossier on people perhaps you can request them to locate Ahern's file at Revenue ?
Seeing as we're paying 3 grossly inflated pensions to Paddy Power's bête noire, who did most to ruin our economy, we should be able to find out if he's paid taxes on his winnings. Hopefully the Bon Jovies can locate his files.

Maybe you should specify why you wonder rather than asking questions which are only qualified as "questions" by virtue of having multiple question marks at the end of them.

Yes, the lying incompetent charlatan indeed has a right to not be called a communist.

GDPR

As Bertie Ahern is now a private citizen, there wouldn't be anyone in the Dail who could answer him and he'd know that, whereas you apparently don't.

RahenyFG

Yeah that's true. I was going to say something comparing him to Charles Haughey but changed my mind for fear of repercussions.

GDPR

Were FF wrong to kick him out?
Depends on what you mean by "wrong".

In the strict sense of course, they didn't actually kick him out, he walked.

From a PR point of view, it was the right move, but does that make it the right thing to do?
I'm not sure it does myself, on the other hand, I'm not too upset about the result.

The point was how could they be sure, the tribunal had taken 14 years and many hundreds of millions and come up with nothing you could hang your hat on, but I suppose they had to be seen to do something in face of the baying mob, for whom the niceties of proof and evidence don't count for very much.

See, when it comes to the mob, there is no middle ground, there's no "just for this issue", you're either with them in their baleful ignorance or you're against them, always, just because they're a mob.

I know where I stand, always.

Eoin Coir

There seems to be a position here that once you leave public office, you are a private citizen and cant be asked any questions. This matter of his tax is an important one in how we order our affairs. This is not anyone, but an ex prime Minister of our country. You wont get an humble hackney licence without a tax clearance cert. Bertie is a member of the council of state.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies