• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bertie hopes to get to Heaven

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
He seems to think he'll get to the Catholic Church's heaven... yet he hasn't gone to confession in 40 years ? Do his peculiar beliefs cast light on his political persona ?

Ahern reveals deep religious conviction and hope of heaven - The Irish Times - Mon, Feb 08, 2010
FORMER TAOISEACH Bertie Ahern has said that he lives by the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes and his own conscience, and hopes to get to heaven when he dies.
His government came under severe criticism for the deal they did with the religious orders, capping their contribution to the redress board at €128 million while taxpayers will have to pay out €1 billion....

Speaking to Gay Byrne in RTÉ’s Meaning of Life series last night, Mr Ahern described himself as a regular Mass-goer, but said he had not been to Confession for 40 years.

Mr Ahern said he believed in heaven and hoped that he did enough to get into it, but if he didn’t “at least what I meant to do was good”.
cYp

jcdf

I hope he does, because then I definitely will, and I will get into the better part of Heaven too.:)

Bobert

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHHA

That is all.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Brown Envelopes Ahern said:
Mr Ahern said he believed in heaven and hoped that he did enough to get into it, but if he didn’t “at least what I meant to do was good”.
*vomit!*

This man doesn't know when to stop doublespeaking!!

Imagine someone saying this: Yesterday i approached a young lady with the intention of telling her how wonderful she looked but i killed her instead. At least what i meant to do was good!?

You can apply that logic to almost any negative situation to try make it a positive. People still like this charlatan. Why?

Last edited:

H.R. Haldeman

Remember how Ahern always showed up for LQ's in the Dail ashed-up on Ash Wednesdays? The Drumcondra Al Jolsen. I'm sure he used to do it to wind up the McDowells, Shatters and Quinns of this world with their private educations, SoCo accents and mincing liberalism. Post-religious girly men from Ranelagh were not Ahern's bag and the ash was a perfect opportunity to express his out-of-control inverted snobbery and contempt for poncey modern ways. The ash said he was an old-fashioned type with decent traditional values and - goddammit! - he was not ashamed to show it.

But empty gestures aside, what legacy did he leave to the very people he was communicating to with that ash? Negative equity, jobseeker's allowance and ghost estates. Decent traditional values, said the ash. I want power and nothing else, said the deeds. In fact, ash is a depressingly appropriate metaphor for the scorched earth policies that were the real Ahern.

JCR

Wonder did gay ask anything about karma? something along the lines of - do you believe in an afterlife and do you think it might be an everlasting tribunal for lying corrupt people?

greengoose2

I watched that cringeworthy pile of shyte with Al Jolson and the leathery old Gaybe hasbeen. My God what a pair of useless has beens. Byrne simpering and the weasel going down his via dolorosa was plainly disgusting. This tripe was followed by Gormley making a fool of himself on the Week in Politics. RTE is a shameful mess. I would consider dumping the tele but the licence people would tax my computer anyway.

A great little country indeed...

Dr Pat

Remember how Ahern always showed up for LQ's in the Dail ashed-up on Ash Wednesdays? The Drumcondra Al Jolsen. I'm sure he used to do it to wind up the McDowells, Shatters and Quinns of this world with their private educations, SoCo accents and mincing liberalism. Post-religious girly men from Ranelagh were not Ahern's bag and the ash was a perfect opportunity to express his out-of-control inverted snobbery and contempt for poncey modern ways. The ash said he was an old-fashioned type with decent traditional values and - goddammit! - he was not ashamed to show it.

But empty gestures aside, what legacy did he leave to the very people he was communicating to with that ash? Negative equity, jobseeker's allowance and ghost estates. Decent traditional values, said the ash. I want power and nothing else, said the deeds. In fact, ash is a depressingly appropriate metaphor for the scorched earth policies that were the real Ahern.
Very good post. He had a lot to answer for even though he had excellent people skills and top notch at portraying an image of "the decent old skin". I find it interesting that, according to an earlier post (I did not see the programme), he has chosen not to go to Confession for 40 years. That is telling!!!!

Eurocitizen

If he gets to heaven there is hope for us all , what a pratt

richie268

Pity Pity Shame Shame!

LDF

Oh God. I hope he doesn't get to Heaven. Heaven sounds nice. Give Bertie a few months there and he'll be writing blank cheques for Jesus and the Gates will be rezoned for crappy 3 bed town houses.

If Bertie does get to have supper with the main man I hope he remembers who was there.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Obviously he should have said he'd prefer to go to hell.

It would have made absolutely no sense and any right thinking person would have thought it illogical.

But would have provoked less ire here...

Sometimes the hot air generated by indignation round these parts could warm a town. He has his religious beliefs. Fair enough, let his confessor deal with it. I am sure he will care little for what the theological experts here really think about the Everlasting and the route to same.

Victor Meldrew

Empty gestures aside, what legacy did he leave to the very people he was communicating to with that ash? Negative equity, jobseeker's allowance and ghost estates. Decent traditional values, said the ash. I want power and nothing else, said the deeds. In fact, ash is a depressingly appropriate metaphor for the scorched earth policies that were the real Ahern.
Excellent post...

The problem is that there are enough morons who only see the gestures. Possibly enough to see that wretched rash fool elected to Mayor or the Aras, especially at the rate RTE and other media keep giving him air time. We should never let him mature into an elder statesman position like Albert, Garret Fitz, John B or Jack L.

History will judge Bertie more harshly than CJH...

reknaw

When I read crap like that, all I can say is: "thank God I'm an atheist!":rolleyes:

The idea of Bertie and Paisley praying together is the sickest thing I can think of. With people like those two in positions of power and influence, no wonder our country has had and continues to suffer from such major problems.

Eurocitizen

When I read crap like that, all I can say is: "thank God I'm an atheist!":rolleyes:

The idea of Bertie and Paisley praying together is the sickest thing I can think of. With people like those two in positions of power and influence, no wonder our country has had and continues to suffer from such major problems.

In fairness to both they achieved a lot in the North .

reknaw

In fairness to both they achieved a lot in the North .

Undeniably, but everyone has to get at least some things right in the course of a long life. After all, Mussolini famously made the trains run on time and Hitler built the autobahns. If only Bertie had been half as good as them at either task ...:):):)

greengoose2

\
I can just picture that pair on their knees praying together. Classic!!!

A fraud and a bigot. There must be a joke in there somewhere.

Eurocitizen

Undeniably, but everyone has to get at least some things right in the course of a long life. After all, Mussolini famously made the trains run on time and Hitler built the autobahns. If only Bertie had been half as good as them at either task ...:):):)
Unlike yourself I value human life to trains .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies