Bertie on economy: "There was no great concern when I left office"

Utopian Hermit Monk

Bertie's boast - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Ex-Taoiseach Bertie Ahern today describes how problems with the economy only started in June – a month after he left office.

In an interview with the Herald, Mr Ahern says he had “no great concern” about the state of the economy when he stepped down last May.

Despite Taoiseach Brian Cowen stating that “we are we are battling the most severe global economic and financial conditions for a century”, Mr Ahern insists everything was fine just six months ago.

Speaking ahead of Bertie, the documentary which airs tonight, Mr Ahern also says that some of the economy's “senior players” have approached him in recent weeks seeking advice. “There is no end to people coming to pick your brains,” he reveals.

jpc

Well he also looked up every tree in north Dublin at one point if memory serves me correctly.

hiding behind a poster

:roll: God, what a tool.

G

Gimpanzee

here's a bit more of his wonderful wisdom:

In his most revealing interviews to date he:

Refuses to rule out running for the presidency.

Says gangland crime is the scourge of Dublin.

Believes America should have given Hillary Clinton a chance.

Reckons Stephen Ireland should bury the hatchet with the Irish soccer squad.

Reveals that “I think half the country still calls me Taoiseach."

He really seems to have gone loop-the-loop in the past 12 months.

Dillinger

That is just unreal !!, I am no politician, or economist, and I started to get worried in 2005. What a gimp.

adamirer

Of course he had no concerns... he never did give a s*it.
Bertie was a Dublin chancer who gave great PR.

Rocky

Christ, is it any wonder that we are in Troublle since we had a Taoiseach who clearly knew nothing about economics and was quite simply brain dead, if we are to believe that statement.

politicaldonations

NEWSFLASH: Architect of house of cards denies he is to blame for it's inevitable collapse.

String this spiv up.

Clanrickard

Speaking ahead of Bertie, the documentary which airs tonight, Mr Ahern also says that some of the economy's “senior players” have approached him in recent weeks seeking advice. “There is no end to people coming to pick your brains,” he reveals.
I am sure he meant kick instead of pick.

ZANU-FF

is ahern for real?

this only makes him more dispicable

then again what would the chancer have to worry about? what with all his guaranteed pensions and sure he could always win money on the nags and sure if that failed he could have a dig out organised and if that failed

well, he could borrow cash off 'de dotter' who mysteriously gets lots of cash for low sales... follow the money.......

Sidewinder

Oh look, Bertie opened his mouth and a big blatant obvious Lie came spewing out. What a surprise.

I wonder if the lying little thieving spiv has ever told the truth about anything?

constitutionus

sweet. monkey. jesus.

how in the name of god did the interviewer not call him on any of that?

KungFugazi

Have we not got an isolated island somewhere that we can dump him on.
Inishvickillane maybe?.

smitchy2

The neck on this guy is ridiculous.
He of course would not take any responsibility for seeing over the massive political splurge in public service pay which is the key reason for us having such a bad deficit compared to everyone else in the EU.
Sure the property sector was in fine condition when you left as well Bertie!
I really wish this overpaid waffler would get the f@ck out of the media.

Victor Meldrew

Of course he had no concerns... he never did give a s*it.
Bertie will be studied in years to come as a classic sociopath.

One can only hope that this sort of drivel, when coupled with Biffo's utter incompetent handling of the emerging (to FF - the dogs on the street saw this coming 2 years ago) crisis will possibly jolt the thick half of the country to realise that their interests were never being served by this shower of gombeens....

smitchy2

It really is an outrage that state money is continuing to be used to promote this deviant.

flavirostris

I'd love to know what Cowen thinks of all this, Ahern is basically inferring that he's a complete muppet.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies