Bertie or Cowan

Northtipp

Which one is responsible for the madness. My bet says Berties being lined up to take it in the neck

hammer

Bertie of course.

He appointed BIFFO as Minister of Finance
He made sure that BIFFO replaced his as Taoiseach.

Its not BIFFOs fault that he is clueless :)

He should have rang Professor Honahan on September 30, 2008 and not John Gormley :(

Doora

Why limit it to just Bertie or Biffo. There is a veritable rogues gallery to choose from

flavirostris

both. I still hear a lot of people saying "Ah..Bertie landed Cowen in it..he's cleanin' up his mess"

Who do they think was MOF between 2004-2008 ffs

chriskavo

I heard this story the other day.

Bertie was having a pint of bass in the pub ( The Goose Tavern, Sion Hill Road) when a regular accidentally bumped into him. Bertie said something like " There you are" and the disgruntled customer replied in a sneering tone " There you are ...there you are..who do you think you are! Destroyed the country , your nothing but a gangster you and the whole shower of them." Bertie was taken aback and signaled to the barman to have him removed. The barman replied "He is staying, you are going". A humiliated Bertie and his floozy made quick their exit to a chorus of boos and insults.

flavirostris

Bertie was having a pint of bass in the pub ( The Goose Tavern, Sion Hill Road) when a regular accidentally bumped into him. Bertie said something like " There you are" and the disgruntled customer replied in a sneering tone " There you are ...there you are..who do you think you are! Destroyed the country , your nothing but a gangster you and the whole shower of them." Bertie was taken aback and signaled to the barman and asked him to have him removed. The barman replied "He is staying, you are going". A humiliated Bertie and his floozy made quick their exit to a chorus of boos and insults.
That's incredible if true.. Ahern would be almost as regular in the Goose as in Fagans. The idea that the barman would have him removed ( and him being booed ) from such a staunch Drumcondra mafia hideout is amazing.

Casillas

Bertie was having a pint of bass in the pub ( The Goose Tavern, Sion Hill Road) when a regular accidentally bumped into him. Bertie said something like " There you are" and the disgruntled customer replied in a sneering tone " There you are ...there you are..who do you think you are! Destroyed the country , your nothing but a gangster you and the whole shower of them." Bertie was taken aback and signaled to the barman to have him removed. The barman replied "He is staying, you are going". A humiliated Bertie and his floozy made quick their exit to a chorus of boos and insults.
I hope this is true, I'd quite like Bertie to live with the situation of a self-imposed house arrest.

truepatriot

bertie and cowan are both to blame because both of them are brainless. it was all a game to these guys. they did not give a damn about this country. it was all about them and their friends------strokers---- strokers---- strokers. bertie appointed all his friends to high places at the expense of the irish tax-payer, joe burke, richardson, collins, paddy the plasterer, larkin. the list is endless. everytime you see one of these guys in their limos ,ask them for a lift because we are paying for them. they were all at it.

hammer

Maybe the barman has seen what has happened his trade and his business.

Bertie should hang around more in Paddy Powers & Celtic Bookmakers :)

chriskavo

That's incredible if true.. Ahern would be almost as regular in the Goose as in Fagans. The idea that the barman would have him removed ( and him being booed ) from such a staunch Drumcondra mafia hideout is amazing.
It came from a friend of my brothers who lives in that locality. The pub had been receiving complaints about his presence by the locals. I think the threat of losing regular customers was preferable to a treacherous weasel who only has a couple of pints a week.In other words it was great for business lol!

ctr

I've been thinking about this in the last few weeks and I came to a view that Cowen is the most responsible.

He was MoF when all this started to go badly wrong. It was his duty to put correction in at this time.H

I know Ahearn was Taoiseach and effectively Cowens boss but Cowen was responsible for Finances of the State with first duty to the State. He held the seal of office. Even if under pressure from Ahearn to "massage" the books it was his duty to refuse.

However saying all that above I believe there is a case to be made that all of the shirsters are guilty of dereliction of duty!!

Last edited:

justme1

Please explain :

Last Tuesday afternoon, Bertie Ahern walked into the Dail bar to a fanfare of cheers and applause from the Duhallow Community Group on a trip to the Dail, organised by Fianna Fail backbencher Michael Moynihan.

Bertie posed for pictures and mingled with the Co Cork-based community group before making his exit soon after.

The Cork North West TD confessed he did not know what type of reception the former Taoiseach would receive, as the group were not all Fianna Fail supporters. He had wished to bring the current Taoiseach into the bar but Mr Cowen was unable to drown his sorrows with the group as he was taking questions in the Dail.

"The situation was that he [Bertie] was standing outside the Dail after a vote, Mr Cowen was still inside the Dail taking questions, so I asked Mr Ahern if he would come in. I didn't know whether or not he was going to be booed or applauded," he said.

Fine Gael TD and spokesperson on social protection, Michael Ring, who was in the Dail bar at the time, was astonished at the reception that greeted Mr Ahern as he entered the bar.

"It's absolutely crazy, at a time when the IMF are in the country and the EU are aiding our banks, that the architect of it all is getting cheered as if he won the All-Ireland when he walks into the Dail bar. It's an absolute disgrace," he said.

stanley

It came from a friend of my brothers who lives in that locality. The pub had been receiving complaints about his presence by the locals. I think the threat of losing regular customers was preferable to a treacherous weasel who only has a couple of pints a week.In other words it was great for business lol!

Great story, obvious his usual hanger-ons who muscle people away were not with him, lucky the burd was there or he might have got that overdue clatter.

Would lay money his copper driver outside would not have got involved, soon it will be the 3 T's - tinnies, take-a-way and telly.

justme1

Please explain :

Last Tuesday afternoon, Bertie Ahern walked into the Dail bar to a fanfare of cheers and applause from the Duhallow Community Group on a trip to the Dail, organised by Fianna Fail backbencher Michael Moynihan.

Bertie posed for pictures and mingled with the Co Cork-based community group before making his exit soon after.

The Cork North West TD confessed he did not know what type of reception the former Taoiseach would receive, as the group were not all Fianna Fail supporters. He had wished to bring the current Taoiseach into the bar but Mr Cowen was unable to drown his sorrows with the group as he was taking questions in the Dail.

"The situation was that he [Bertie] was standing outside the Dail after a vote, Mr Cowen was still inside the Dail taking questions, so I asked Mr Ahern if he would come in. I didn't know whether or not he was going to be booed or applauded," he said.

Fine Gael TD and spokesperson on social protection, Michael Ring, who was in the Dail bar at the time, was astonished at the reception that greeted Mr Ahern as he entered the bar.

"It's absolutely crazy, at a time when the IMF are in the country and the EU are aiding our banks, that the architect of it all is getting cheered as if he won the All-Ireland when he walks into the Dail bar. It's an absolute disgrace," he said.

Mad ain't it fellow Irish idiots that the above mentioned Ring was in the Bar at that time (which was before 5pm),two sides of the one filthy coin IMO.

ifreannach

neither are to blame, the blame for all that has happened is to be layed at dev's feet. The conditions were created from the states inception for corruption and incompetence because the system was the same one we fought to get rid off yet it flourished under dev and the rest is our sad little history.

we have to get real here, the establishment functions for yes men to flourish. bertie and cowen are pure yes men, no backbone is ff evolutionary trait.

oggy

This story is going the rounds throughout North Dublin and grows wings on its journey. The fiction writers are forever busy. Over the years people made a point of telling me farfetched stories about FF people because they knew I was FF. Tallest stories were always about Haughey's sex life. Could tell a few stories about ABFF politicians but they would never match the truth in UFO stories

stanley

This story is going the rounds throughout North Dublin and grows wings on its journey. The fiction writers are forever busy. Over the years people made a point of telling me farfetched stories about FF people because they knew I was FF. Tallest stories were always about Haughey's sex life. Could tell a few stories about ABFF politicians but they would never match the truth in UFO stories

Oggy, not like you to be shy, if you have some good stories about ABFF'ers let it out, get it off your wee chest, as for Haughey's sex life, is it enough to say it was very active and not confined to Mo and Terry, if you wore a skirt you were in danger, in fairness never heard a rumour about him being a shirtlifter.

Doubt if Ahern will match up with his sex life, women see through him pretty quick, like those burds out at Malahide GC who would not allow him a book-signing opportunity.

ellie08

I'd say Lenihan has done more damage in the year or two he's been in finance.

New Threads

Most Replies