Best and worst British airports

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
There's this recent Which report rating British airports.

For those who use London airports the ranking is:
1 London Southend 84%
2 London City 68%
3 Heathrow Terminal 5 61%
4 Heathrow Terminal 2 57%
5 Gatwick South Terminal 52%
6 Heathrow Terminal 3 52%
7 Heathrow Terminal 4 52%
8 Gatwick North Terminal 51%
9 London Stansted 38%
10 London Luton 29%​

Not surprisingly to me, and not without reason, Luton is bottom of that heap, with a 29% customer satisfaction. I know, from bitter experience, that Luton's "car-park" was a horrendous cinder-track, and the trek from check-in to EasyJet seemed to stretch across the odd English county. Yes, I know the owners (the borough council) are trying to improve the link to the main-line rail and are generally polishing-the-jobbie, but it is currently a bit of a hole.

Equally unsurprisingly (and based upon just one experience) Southend scores well.

On another page of the Which survey, the two Belfast airports score 60% (City) and 53% (International).

The experiences and distances of others may differ. For all its essential trivia, I'd see here a more profitable topic than p.ie's current obsessions with minor British royals or various flavours of anti-semitism.

toconn

Luton is the worst in my experience , not enough time to explain why but the general unfriendliness of the security staff , nowhere to sit and wait when busy and the rip off pricing re car parks is a start. Shiittehole

livingstone

I've never really had a problem with Luton. It's not the most glamorous location, but generally I've got through security pretty quickly, and have never had a major problem with getting to flights (Ryanair).

The area around it is a pain - the train to airport shuttle bus is annoying. I've never had to use the car park, but when I've been picked up by taxi it has felt that the distance from arrival to the taxi (in the rain!) was quite long.

For me the biggest factor in desirability of an airport is accessibility from public transport - Luton has advantages for me purely in being on the Thameslink route (where the downside of the time it takes is outweighed by the benefit of being pretty direct from the part of London I travel from).

Heathrow, Gatwick and City are all directly on train lines, but for me to get to them all involves changing which I prefer to avoid with luggage.

Wascurito

Nothing about Luton (airport or town) is meant to be fun. Think of it as character-forming, kind of like a pre-mortem Purgatory.

I spent six months working there in the mid-90s. The only good things about the place were the regular trains to London, and a Thai restaurant that was packed 7 nights a week.

blokesbloke

I hardly ever fly, the last foreign trip I took was to France years and years ago.

I find all these jet-setting people most confusing. When did it become normal to have several foreign holidays a year?

I'm quite content with the odd rainy week in Blackpool!

former wesleyan

Nutts Corner. Now that was an airport and a half. So it was.

Deadlock

As low as it is ranked, I'm surprised that London Stansted ranked that highly. It is Satans own waiting room, and well picked by RyanAir as a hub airport. Too far from London to be convenient to travel to and from, and there is little in nearby Bishops Stortford to please any of the senses.

I understand when UK Air Traffic Control Centres suspect a flight is in difficultly, or suspected of having been hijacked, the plane is diverted to London Stansted. Well appointed.

livingstone

I hardly ever fly, the last foreign trip I took was to France years and years ago.

I find all these jet-setting people most confusing. When did it become normal to have several foreign holidays a year?

I'm quite content with the odd rainy week in Blackpool!
Once was quite enough in Blackpool. Where joy goes to die.

Casablanca

Nice little airport in Bristol.
We use it for easy access to Bath for The Season. Lady deBourgh speaks highly of it as well.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Nutts Corner. Now that was an airport and a half. So it was.
The steep flightpath in-and-out to Nutts Corner, over the mountains, had hairy moments, especially in those high-wing monoplanes, which always seemed to land crabwise in cross winds, with me, the passenger, afforded a clear view down the skewed runway.

I still relate the myth(?) about the eyes of the hares, reflected in the landing lights, spooking the pilots. Good to see the fauna removed to Aldergrove.

Only RNAS Twatt (Swiftly renamed HMS Tern) was guaranteed to provoke more ribaldry than RAF Nutts Corner.

Last-but-one trip out of Liverpool, small girl in seat in front looks out at Liverpool Flying School and pronounces: "Oh! Look at all those baby aeroplanes learning to fly."

Sorry: anecdotal. Anything to dilute the memory of my last easyJet flight.

Casablanca

Do you take the waters at Bath, before a lark in Leamington Spa?

That old canard about me taking a lark was put about by my enemies, I'm shocked that you would bring it up in polite society.

For shame, Sir

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
As low as it is ranked, I'm surprised that London Stansted ranked that highly. It is Satans own waiting room, and well picked by RyanAir as a hub airport. Too far from London to be convenient to travel to and from, and there is little in nearby Bishops Stortford to please any of the senses.

I understand when UK Air Traffic Control Centres suspect a flight is in difficultly, or suspected of having been hijacked, the plane is diverted to London Stansted. Well appointed.
Standest used to be great but it is pretty awful now I have to say. Went through there about ten days ago. Always used to loathe Heathrow and prefer Stansted years back but they are pretty close now in terms of experience I find.

Deadlock

That old canard about me taking a lark was put about by my enemies, I'm shocked that you would bring it up in polite society.

For shame, Sir
I am both shamed and chastened Sir. My profusiest contrafibularities to have had thus occasioned your person, good Sir. Prithee I withdraw said utterances ...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Apparently there is an airport in Cornwall. Now there's a great idea. Toyed with the idea of buggering off down there for a few days recently but was put off by the seven hour drive idea, or similar by train.

You can fly from Gatwick to St Ives, I believe, and slightly cheaper than the train fare. I did not dare ask what type of 'plane was on that route. Sopwith Camel, prob'ly. With Biggles up front and Ginger trying to flog you a can of coke for £3...

New Threads

Most Replies