Best books on politics?

Can anyone suggest 'the essential' books based on politics to read?

theObserver@hotmail.com

"An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff is a standard introductory text if you are interested in the philosophy and history of ideas that shape modern politics.
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Introduction-Political-Philosophy-Jonathan-Wolff/dp/019929609X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244854676&sr=8-1]An Introduction to Political Philosophy: Jonathan Wolff: Amazon.co.uk: Books[/ame]

corelli

Pauli

"THe Boss" (Joyce/Murtagh) 1983. From this one can get a real understanding of why modern Ireland is like it is.

Question R24U

"THe Boss" (Joyce/Murtagh) 1983. From this one can get a real understanding of why modern Ireland is like it is.
I will go for that. Another is 'the rise and decline of fianna fail' by kevin boland (1982). The biographies of various political figures vary wildely in quality and agenda but are worth a look for an overview - auto-bios are generally not.

youngdan

The Godfather books will tell you all you need to know about politics....
How true, and then read "I Heard you Paint Houses"

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Heard-You-Paint-Houses-Teamsters/dp/1586420771]Amazon.com: I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran and the Inside Story of the Mafia, the Teamsters, and the Final Ride of Jimmy Hoffa: Charles Brandt: Books[/ame]

First few books by P J O'Rourke.
This Great Little Nation by Gene Kerrigan and Pat Brennan is a good one in the irish context.

athlonedub

The third volume of the Robert Caro LBJ biog "Master of the Senate" - covers 1950 to 1958 and an incredible insight into the US during one of its defining decades.

"Throught the Brideswell Gates" by Tom McIntyre \ "Orders for the Captain" - Capt James Kelly \ "We wont stand idly by" Kevin Boland and Vol 246 of the Dail Debates (covering sacking of Ministers during this crisis).

irish_goat

"Yes, Taoiseach" by Frank Dunlop is an interesting and quite funny read that talks about life inside the government working for both FF and FG.

dmc444

The Power Game- Collins (Great for Ireland under FF)

All in a Life- Garrett FitzGerald. (Very Interesting perspective from FG)

Breaking the Mould- Collins (PDs)

Sqaundered- David Craig (Great about the economy under New Labour)

Also i would endorse the Book "The Boss"

Last edited:

PatsyOriel

''Why I am always right'' by Pat Rabbite

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
Never Make Promise You Can't Break: How to Succeed in Irish Politics by Gene Kerrigan. its a bit dated now since the economic catstrofu©k but essential reading none the less, would also endorse the power game by stephen collins

dmc444

For anybody studying the Troubles, start with this book.

Lost Lives by David Kittrick.

5intheface

The Party's Over by B Lenihan. Published 2010.

New Threads

Most Replies