Best ever Leader of the Labour Party

Who is/was the greatest leader of Labour Party

• Total voters

mercyboy34

The oldest political party in the country founded in 1912. So, who do you think was the best leader. I'm a Spring man myself. Before some smartarse says it, don't say Michael O'Leary because he defected to Fine Gael.

CJH

Where's Larkin? Surely he would be the man? Or for God's sake, Connolly?

Opus

Oh, I'd say it has to be Comrade Spring.... although I did have a sneaking regard for Frank Cluskey.

Regards,

Opus

mercyboy34

CJH said:
Where's Larkin? Surely he would be the man? Or for God's sake, Connolly?
larkin and connolly and william o'brien founded the labour party, but were never actually leaders.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Um couple of points mercyboy.

1. according to the labour partys own website, Labour was founded in 1912 by Larkin, Connolly and William O' Brien. I assume one of these were at the time the leader of the Labour Party so why weren't there names included in the poll ?

2. Sinn Fein was founded in 1905, so by my maths that makes them 7 years older than Labour. Therefore Labour are not, as you described, Irelands oldest political party.

3. Why ask who was the best leader of the Labour party from Corish on ? Surely the question should have been who was the most subservient leader of FG lite ?

4. How can any self-respecting labour party member sit back and watch their party being sacrificed to rehabilitate your nearest political rival i.e. FG.

Before the FG'ers lose the rag here, would you consider a pact with FF that would end up with FF winning an extra 25 seats, while FG would win an extra 5 ? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that just political suicide, especially when you have an emerging Left-wing rival for votes in Sinn Fein.

Personally to the Labour lads, we're pissing ourselves laughing at the prospect of a Lab/FG pact

mercyboy34

rockofcashel said:
Um couple of points mercyboy.

1. according to the labour partys own website, Labour was founded in 1912 by Larkin, Connolly and William O' Brien. I assume one of these were at the time the leader of the Labour Party so why weren't there names included in the poll ? as i said before, (read my earlier post) those three did found the party, but were not leaders. they sat out a couple of elections. if you go back to labour website, u will see leaders posted, doesn't include them

2. Sinn Fein was founded in 1905, so by my maths that makes them 7 years older than Labour. Therefore Labour are not, as you described, Irelands oldest political party. members of fg and ff would argue with you here. sf split so many times, labour never did

3. Why ask who was the best leader of the Labour party from Corish on ? Surely the question should have been who was the most subservient leader of FG lite ? yeah, yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah

Personally to the Labour lads, we're pissing ourselves laughing at the prospect of a Lab/FG pact here is where i actually agree with you. u got me.[/b]

Jim84

Got to be Quinn, who tried to break away from FG, should off stayed longer.

But Spring is the most effective.

Michael O'leary name should be stricken from Labour History.

CJH

Quinn, the best Lab leader ever? Maybe if you're a die hard FFer, but otherwise surely not.

Spring's most notable triumph was turning the Labour party into the plaything of the Irish Times.

Maybe shouldn't the poll be changed to Greatest Labour Figure? Connolly and Larkin were head and shoulders above the mediocrities that followed them

stakerwallace

I'd go with TJ O' Connell

Ryan Tubbs

1. according to the labour partys own website, Labour was founded in 1912 by Larkin, Connolly and William O' Brien. I assume one of these were at the time the leader of the Labour Party so why weren't there names included in the poll ?
Labour didn't have a "Leader" as such until they had representation in the Dáil from the Treaty Election onwards. This is hardly unique. The Green Party didn't have a leader until they were a credible parliamentary force. And Sinn Fein itself didn't have a "Leader" in the sense that we know the word now, for much the same reason. For the first 15 years it operated as a sort of a collective leadership among various honourary officerships, much in the same way that most radical left/revolutionary parties did for the 50 years up to that point and still do today.

2. Sinn Fein was founded in 1905, so by my maths that makes them 7 years older than Labour. Therefore Labour are not, as you described, Irelands oldest political party.
The Sinn Fein which you are presumably referring to (the one present led by Adams) was founded in 1970 (not 1905) when it split from the actual Sinn Fein, which later evolved into SFWP and the Workers Party.

The Workers Party is the only organisation which can claim direct unbroken lineage from the 1905 entity. All other parties split away from this party over time - Cumann na nGaedheal in 1923, Fianna Fail in 1926, and the present day Sinn Fein in 1970.

On the substantive issue though:-

Best Leader: Probaly Spring, on the whole.
Most underrated leader: Norton
Most overrated leader: Corish
Leader who most wasted his potential: O'Leary

borntorum

Frank Cluskey was a nice man.

What a strange thread to bump.

Analyzer

Gimmemore.

If you disagree, just ask Ballsbridge.

making waves

The poll is flawed - it excluded the only 2 LP leaders worth talking about - James Connolly and Jim Larkin.

realistic1

The oldest political party in the country founded in 1912. So, who do you think was the best leader. I'm a Spring man myself. Before some smartarse says it, don't say Michael O'Leary because he defected to Fine Gael.
What does it say of the Labor party when you see the complete lack of interest in what should be a lively thread? Labor by not staying in opposition and building electoral strength has led to the sort of ridiculous politics that has destroyed this State.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies