• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Best of luck to Team Ireland at the Special Olympics Winter Games 2013

Vega1447

Don't know if this is in the right forum (Mods please move if incorrect).

Just a thread to wish the Irish team the very best of luck at this year's Winter Games in South Korea :D

HOME

Day One: Special Olympics Ireland Blogs - Main Blog Reader

I will try and keep the thread updated daily on the progress of the team.
Why?
Seriously.

This is a Politics site.

Anyone who is interested is already following the "progress of the team"...

ShoutingIsLeadership

Before I can join in the well wishers, can you please confirm if Team Ireland is sound on the national question?

Cellach

Why?
Seriously.

This is a Politics site.

Anyone who is interested is already following the "progress of the team"...
There is always the option of not clicking on the thread you know.

Vega1447

Well now, who is wearing grumpy trousers today!
An argumentum ad trouserem...

Seriously, is anyone interested other than parents/carers/family/friends of S.O. competitors?

I can quite see that the S.O. are a great idea for competitors but there seems to be an attitude that the competition needs to be validated by having media attention.

Why?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Seriously, is anyone interested other than parents/carers/family/friends of S.O. competitors?

I can quite see that the S.O. are a great idea for competitors but there seems to be an attitude that the competition needs to be validated by having media attention.

Why?
Perhaps not but I have been involved in the Games previously and know people who have competed - hence my interest.

Also the fact that our Special Olympics teams have achieved outstanding success at the events.

Cellach

Why?
Why do you think there is this attitude, and what evidence have you seen of it?

harshreality

Why?
Hey this is p.ie where people discuss recipies, movies, break dancing, dog throwin and all manner of weird & wonderful subjects that may not necessarily be hot topics for most but they are here anyway.

Vega1447

Vega1447 said:
Why do you think there is this attitude, and what evidence have you seen of it?
I think that everyone wishes people with a learning difficulty well. I also think that there is a complicated mix of sympathy, guilt and wishing to be seen to do the right thing.

And I finally think that for very understandable reasons parents/carers of S.O. participants are committed to their charges doing well.

There are much more deserving causes than S.O. in my opinion.

And some of the cheerleaders for the cause do it little credit.

None of the above is an attack on the participants, just on the hype surrounding the event..

Irish National member

There are 14 participating at this year's games.
thank you, any coverage online or anything?

i have no relation in the s.o i dont know anybody in it and i have never been involved in it, but i would have an interest in tiddly winks if we had an irish team heading over