• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Best political analysis / news apps?

Bren Boru

Can I ask what other posters preferences are for political analysis or news apps or even websites?

Personally I like the Fox News app. While I rarely agree with much of the content, it's well put together and informative. It's also entertaining in an ironic kind of way as it labels itself "Fair and Balanced".

livingstone

For US politics, Politico is good.

The main thing I look for in an app is that it can load its content when I have WiFi or 3G signal to be used when I don't. Politico does that but the Huffington Post, for example, doesn't. So if I want to read articles on the tube, HuffPo is useless to me.

I'm not aware of any particularly good ones for Irish/UK politics. As general news goes, The Independent (UK, not Irish) app is good - and free.

Bren Boru

How can "Best / Most meaningful / poignant song lyric" get 500+ posts and this one gets 4, and 3 of those from me!

Dear me....

emulator

How can "Best / Most meaningful / poignant song lyric" get 500+ posts and this one gets 4, and 3 of those from me!

Dear me....
If it ever was.... this site stopped being a political discussion site some time ago. It's more just a gossip site with a small bit of politics thrown in.... Politicalworld dot Org or Politico have more serious political discussions without Government supporters trolling the b'jesus out've it....

gijoe

The Bloomberg app is very good for business news and market information. The Breaking News app is very good for getting Irish news as is Journal.ie on the move and the Irish Independent has the best of the Irish newspapers app and Daily Mail for the UK.

The Livescores app is a great simple app for football score updates.

Last edited:

ManOfReason

Edit: Opps never mind, not the kid of app you are looking for.

Last edited:

flavirostris

Salon and Slate both very good for US political analysis. Sidney Blumenthal was a Salon columnist and that guy's knowledge of American politics is second to none. Also the Washington Post's daily political "The Fix" column.

hiding behind a poster

If it ever was.... this site stopped being a political discussion site some time ago. It's more just a gossip site with a small bit of politics thrown in.... Politicalworld dot Org or Politico have more serious political discussions without Government supporters trolling the b'jesus out've it....
Unfortunately too many people like you define "trolling" as "making an opposing argument to mine". If you can't debate your views and listen to those of others, then you really shouldn't be here.

jsmill

Democracynow.org is a great alternative news source

Shpake

Please someone explain. what is an app? I thought it was some sort of technical thing for an iphone or smart phone... like maps or skype or something. does it mean political message board too?

Bren Boru

Please someone explain. what is an app? I thought it was some sort of technical thing for an iphone or smart phone... like maps or skype or something. does it mean political message board too?
It can be maps or Skype, games or info sources. It's basically a handy shortcut to a website.
If designed and laid out properly it can be useful.

Astral Peaks

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
So no-one knows of any good apps then?

Gap in market???
I think most news apps arent great. A great source of news is to set up a twitter account and get a twitter client app(not the twitter app as there as apps which are much better) and subscribe to the people or organisations who you are interested in. I find this a great way to get the latest news of interest.

Its a misperception that twitter is solely for opinionated famous people and their followers.

You can search for keywords of interest to you also.

Last edited:

Victor Meldrew

Salon and Slate both very good for US political analysis. Sidney Blumenthal was a Salon columnist and that guy's knowledge of American politics is second to none. Also the Washington Post's daily political "The Fix" column.
Found the Slate APP a bit annoying. not as good as the website. In general, I find the need for Apps waning. you are often better off with a mobile rendered site or the full site.

I find the Galaxy S3 pretty capable for full websites.

Victor Meldrew

It can be maps or Skype, games or info sources. It's basically a handy shortcut to a website.
If designed and laid out properly it can be useful.
Otherwise, they are poor cousins of the original website.

asset test

For US

CNN Political Notebook
Left, Right and Centre
NPR radio talk of the nation

On podcast At the Tunein Radio app.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies