• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Best Political Books

G

What are the best political books people have read?

I am thinking of stuff that deals with aparticular short period or incident or modern politics. It would be good if we could build up a politics.ie canon of essential political treatises!

meriwether

Reasons to be cheerful by Mark Steele is funny.
John Charles McQuaid by John Cooney is rivering.
The 6 day war by Jeremy Bowen (I think) is fascinating.
Cosgraves by Stephen Collins is a good read.

The big fat Yorkshire guy who was Deputy leader of the British Labour party wrote an account of 50 years in politics, Wojeus.

But my favourite is The making of the president by a US reporter, an account of the 1960 US election. Brilliant stuff.

Ive read Gerry Adams books. I dare someone to tell me they are works of literary genius.

The biography of the UDA by Henry (??) is spinechilling.

quirk

Website
www.southarmagh32.blogspot.com
10 days that shook the world by John Reed
The Stalin Era by Anna Louise Strong
Fraud, Famine, and Fascism: The Ukrainian Genocide Myth from Hitler to Harvard by Douglas Tottle
Twenty Years in underground Russia by Cecilia Bobrovskaya
Another View of Stalin by Ludo Martens
The Resotration of Capitalism in the Soviet Union by W. B. Bland
Six Months in Red Russia by Louise Bryant

Che Guevara- a revolutionary life by Jon Lee Anderson
The Irish counter revolution by John M.Regan

fisk

Ten Men Dead by David Beresford

Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk

Guerilla Days in Ireland ( Tom Barrys Story )

Bandit Country by Toby Harnden

quirk

Website
James Connolly by Donal Nevin
Churchill by Roy Jenkins
Franz Fanon a life by David Macey
The Age of revolution by Eric Hobsbawn
The age of empire by Eric Hobsbawn
The age of Capital by Eric Hobsbawn
The age of extremes by Eric Hobsbawn

quirk

Website
A history of the Irish Working Class by Peter Beresford Ellis
Kennedy an unfinished life by Robert Dalleck
The singing flame by Ernie O'Mallie
On another mans wounds by Ernie O'Mallie
The Boer War by Thomas Peckenham
Hitler by Ian Kershaw

Akrasia

My absolute all time favourite book

Homage to Catalonia - George Orwell (spanish civil war)

Defeated Romanticist

Modern Politics: Fianna Fail since Lemass by Stephan Collins-a page turner.

Slightly older:Charles XII Lion of the North-Opened my eyes to Romanticism

Also-Iron Kingdom-The rise and fall of Prussia. Excellant. The best technically written book I have ever read. Cant remember the authors name.

quirk

Website
Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Inerventions Since WWII by William Blum
A People's History of the United States of America by Howard Zinn
Rogue State by William Blum
The Black Panthers Speak edited by Philip Foner
Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
Lenin by Robert Service
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell (political novel)
Dispatches - reports from the peoples war in Nepal by Li Onesto

Doylers

The Committee - Sean McPhilemy -Loyalist collusion with RUC in killing Catholics

Banned in Britain and Ireland, I had to get my copy from the US

Helium Three

1. The Bible. Try the Sermon on the Mount for starters. Thank God no-one takes it seriously.

2. The Best and the Brightest. David Halberstam. On assembling the JFKennedy crew.

3.The Selling of the President. Joe McGinness. Stylesheet for modern campaign managers.

Conuil

Ten Men Dead by David Beresford :(

The Orange State by Micheal Farrell ;)

Ardoyne: The Untold Truth by A.C.P. ;)

Bobby Sands: Nothing but an Unfinished Song by Denis O'Hearn ;)

Long Walk To Freedom by Nelson Mandela 8)

Finely Tempered Steel, Sean McCaughey and the IRA by Mairtin Og Meehan ;)

doheochai

quirk said:
A history of the Irish Working Class by Peter Beresford Ellis
there have been quite a few donkeys mentioned on this thread but PB Ellis's book has to take the biscuit. Riddled with inaccuracies, dubious political opinion and downright rubbish this book shouldn't be let within an ass's roar of a library.

doheochai

Conuil said:

You really should widen the scope of your reading material

Conuil

doheochai said:
Conuil said:

You really should widen the scope of your reading material
Elaborate?

merle haggard

Killing Hope - a book i have to put down every 20 minutes while reading it for fear my head will explode

Wretched of the Earth (Fanon) - theres a new English translation on themarket , much easier to read than the antiquated translation from the 1960s

No Retreat
(Tilzey and Hann) - account of the war between British anti facist stewards groups , Red Action AFA etc and the British far right from the 70s to the 90s .

The Dublin Monaghan Bombings and the Murder Triangle (by Joe tiernan . Tiernan was a former RTE journalist who assisted in the making the Hidden Hand documentary for yorkshire television in the early 1990s about the Dublin Monaghan bombings . RTE refused to broadcast the programme and still wont . Tiernan never got working for them again . Major retailers refuse to stock his book so youll have to hunt for it . Hes distributed it to many small shops and newsagents all over the country . I recommend anyone who wants to know the true nature of the state they reside in to read this book . Tiernans findings have been instrumental in the attempts by the Dublin Monaghan families to get to the truth and are the primary reason why the state has made sure every last one of their files has disappeared without explanation . Tiernans work covers the entire reign of terror of the British intelligence gang responsible in their years of unhindered attacks both sides of the border , including interviews with former members . Guaranteed to leave you shaking with anger at not only the British but Irelands media , politicians and police . Its a detailed account of this countrys worst scandal that is till ongoing)

Tigrrr

Just came across a book at home by Tim Ryan, which is a biography of PJ Mara called, as you might guess, 'PJ Mara'. It's a reasonably short book, well written, gives a great insight into Mara. I would highly recommend it.

DerekOwens

Would second 'Snakes and Ladders' without hesitation, though remembering Mr. finlay's personal angle is an obvious neccessity.
as for these other reccomendations, these are solely taken from what's on my bookshelf atm. There's probably fantastic stuff gathering dust up in the attic.

elsewhere in modern Irish politics:
Lee, J., Ireland, 1912-1985 is fantastic
Joyce & Murtagh, The Boss. Jaundiced but a feat of investigative journalism
O'Brien, Justin, The Arms Trial

and abroad
Clark, Alan, Diaries
Machiavelli, Niccolo, The Prince

the lighter side
Hannon, Katie, The naked politician
O'Rourke, P.J., Republican Party Reptile

Fiction
Klein, Joe, Primary Colours
Penn Warren, Robert, All The King's Men

As I say, not at all scientific or comprehensive, but a few of my faves!

DerekOwens

merle haggard said:
The Dublin Monaghan Bombings and the Murder Triangle (by Joe tiernan . Tiernan was a former RTE journalist who assisted in the making the Hidden Hand documentary for yorkshire television in the early 1990s about the Dublin Monaghan bombings . RTE refused to broadcast the programme and still wont . Tiernan never got working for them again . Major retailers refuse to stock his book so youll have to hunt for it . Hes distributed it to many small shops and newsagents all over the country . I recommend anyone who wants to know the true nature of the state they reside in to read this book . Tiernans findings have been instrumental in the attempts by the Dublin Monaghan families to get to the truth and are the primary reason why the state has made sure every last one of their files has disappeared without explanation . Tiernans work covers the entire reign of terror of the British intelligence gang responsible in their years of unhindered attacks both sides of the border , including interviews with former members . Guaranteed to leave you shaking with anger at not only the British but Irelands media , politicians and police . Its a detailed account of this countrys worst scandal that is till ongoing)
This gent called to my door actually selling the book. Didn't seem in the best of health (physically speaking). Have to say I didn't buy it. His release seemed a bit swivel-eyed...