• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Better internet for rural Ireland ( have we a plan?)

Smithy12

It seems to me mobile broadband companies have already decided their will be no investment for rural Ireland ( next five to 7 years at least) The knock on effect will be Eircom wil still continue to overcharge rural customers for using their DSL broadband service, and any chance of an upgrade to your local exchange seems unlikely in the near future!!

What is the point of 4G saturation in only urban areas though?. Areas like this are already been upgraded to fibre and cable (4G is only a third right service compared to this) How many people will take up this service if they already have Fibre? Isn't Fibre likely to be cheaper also?

If 4G is only going to be provided for urban areas ( why hasn't the Irish government came out and said we'll be getting involved here ( this rural place and this one?) Why are Satellite towns ( villages) outside our major city urban areas not able to get better broadband than 5 to 6 meg?

Should the 300 million the Irish government ( got from the spectrum auctions) be put to work straight away? The Irish government claimed they would invest 200 million prior to the Auction results. When will the 30% not covered by the spectrum auctions ( see improvement in their broadband speeds?) Let have some honesty first!

Anyway my rant is after reading this today.
4G will rock – but the trick will be managing consumers’ expectations - Ireland’s communications news service – Siliconrepublic.com

Kilkenny, also has UPC 150 mb really think its pointless having the first 4G network there next year. I guess forward thinking doesn't happen much in Ireland anyways.

Man or Mouse

Hot topic by the looks of it.

slippy wicket

I'll tell you what is sickening, we have sub one meg 'broadband' at home, while I was at a shareholders meeting midweek and the company had set up 9.8mg 3G in the middle of a field.
It's a funny old world.

Be a good few years before we see the like.

southwestkerry

This has been the case for a good while and well continue for a good few years yet. I myself live in a rural spot in kerry and the mobile [vodafone blackberry] is rubbish. The Internet is provided my digiweb as Eircom do not come within 10 miles off the house with broadband.
SWK

truthisfree

Getting this right now after a modem upgrade last week, get about 11Mb/s at off peak times. This is great after years of really bad speeds so someone somewhere is doing something right for once....neighbour getting almost as good with O2, also a recent upgrade, both measured from wireless, probably a bit higher connected directly.

Mackers

Simple solution for faster internet speeds for country folk...................................

Move to City.

Smithy12

It estimated 60 per cent of people live in urban areas and towns. So 40 per cent how many people is that? They should just sell their house, knock it down whatever and move to a city area to get broadband worth a damn. Great plan!!

Smithy12

Getting this right now after a modem upgrade last week, get about 11Mb/s at off peak times. This is great after years of really bad speeds so someone somewhere is doing something right for once....neighbour getting almost as good with O2, also a recent upgrade, both measured from wireless, probably a bit higher connected directly.
What that high ping you would have trouble streaming videos, uploading stuff and gaming. Download and upload not bad. Better than what i get with Eircom ( the upload)

Smithy12

This has been the case for a good while and well continue for a good few years yet. I myself live in a rural spot in kerry and the mobile [vodafone blackberry] is rubbish. The Internet is provided my digiweb as Eircom do not come within 10 miles off the house with broadband.
SWK
You probably fall into last 20 per cent because of your location ( rural kerry) even though kerry would be great for 4G wireless because of high mountains and stuff. But its all about the money unfortunately for broadband providers.

600 million extra the Irish government was not expecting to get from the auctions. This is a chance to upgrade the 30 percent not covered by the spectrum auctions ( have to wait and see what occurs) i

lying eyes

It seems to me mobile broadband companies have already decided their will be no investment for rural Ireland ( next five to 7 years at least) The knock on effect will be Eircom wil still continue to overcharge rural customers for using their DSL broadband service, and any chance of an upgrade to your local exchange seems unlikely in the near future!!

What is the point of 4G saturation in only urban areas though?. Areas like this are already been upgraded to fibre and cable (4G is only a third right service compared to this) How many people will take up this service if they already have Fibre? Isn't Fibre likely to be cheaper also?

If 4G is only going to be provided for urban areas ( why hasn't the Irish government came out and said we'll be getting involved here ( this rural place and this one?) Why are Satellite towns ( villages) outside our major city urban areas not able to get better broadband than 5 to 6 meg?

Should the 300 million the Irish government ( got from the spectrum auctions) be put to work straight away? The Irish government claimed they would invest 200 million prior to the Auction results. When will the 30% not covered by the spectrum auctions ( see improvement in their broadband speeds?) Let have some honesty first!

Anyway my rant is after reading this today.
4G will rock – but the trick will be managing consumers’ expectations - Ireland’s communications news service – Siliconrepublic.com

Kilkenny, also has UPC 150 mb really think its pointless having the first 4G network there next year. I guess forward thinking doesn't happen much in Ireland anyways.
Did we ever have a plan for anything???????

Abaddon

Supply broadband through the national grid.

I use powerline ethernet bridges at home and in work. The tech is available a while now. The cables used in power supply are of a much better quality than what's used in phone lines or ethernet cables. It wouldn't be UPC fiber optic but it could give a decent level of broadband across the country.

truthisfree

Supply broadband through the national grid.

I use powerline ethernet bridges at home and in work. The tech is available a while now. The cables used in power supply are of a much better quality than what's used in phone lines or ethernet cables. It wouldn't be UPC fiber optic but it could give a decent level of broadband across the country.
Can't for the life of me understand why this is not done.

truthisfree

What that high ping you would have trouble streaming videos, uploading stuff and gaming. Download and upload not bad. Better than what i get with Eircom ( the upload)
Ping is only that high at peak times, usually down to 47ms at other times, am watching a documentary while typing this and no problems with streaming even with that ping, probably SD though, did not check, on RTE player..compared to what I used to get it this really good

Mackers

Ping pong ping pong. Do yourselves a favour and try to read the small print in all the providers web sites. Get your eyes opened to their terms and conditions starting with the words up to vis-a-vis download speeds. Not to mention "fair usage" policy conditions. You've got to laugh.