Biafran War on TG4

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/how-irish-missionaries-fought-fake-news-and-risked-their-lives-to-save-millions-from-starvation-during-biafran-war-36929802.html

Documentary on role Irish missionaries played in Biafra during their war of Independence.

Know a priest from there who openly states that were it not for the Irish Missionaries the population would have starved.
Owes his whole education to Irish Missionaries.

BBC was of course up there with its Fake News.

TG4 Wednesday at 9.30pm

General Urko

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/how-irish-missionaries-fought-fake-news-and-risked-their-lives-to-save-millions-from-starvation-during-biafran-war-36929802.html

Documentary on role Irish missionaries played in Biafra during their war of Independence.

Know a priest from there who openly states that were it not for the Irish Missionaries the population would have starved.
Owes his whole education to Irish Missionaries.

BBC was of course up there with its Fake News.

TG4 Wednesday at 9.30pm
Thanks for that!
They show incredible docs and really show up The RTé D4 Flute brigade!

Breanainn

Yes, just watching it now, an excellent alternative to the debates for the next hour. Of course, the Wilson government supplied arms to Nigeria, but the missionary support for Biafra arose purely from humanitarian concerns.

fergal1790

Penny for the black babies?

I also remember being thought by holy catholic Nuns and Priests that to waste food in any way especially to not eat all your dinner then you were 100% responsible for all the starving children in Biafra and would remain in purgatory for all eternity after you died.

I guess that is where all the Catholic guilt comes from that makes so many Irish people want to let Africa migrate to a village near them!

Last edited:

nationalsday

Penny for the black babies?

I also remember being thought by holy catholic Nuns and Priests that to waste food in any way especially to not eat all your dinner then you were 100% responsible for all the starving children in Biafra and would remain in purgatory for all eternity after you died.
Fridays were always bring-in-money-for-the biafran black-babies-day and everyone in the class (seven-year-olds, Clontarf,) had to solemnly queue up to deposit their thruppence, default meant being victimised into the future by our teacher (aged circa mid fifties early sixties as seemed to us - contemporary/replaced John McGahern who I missed by a year) who was an ex WW2 bomber pilot who told us regularly about his bombing of Hamburg and Essen. He told us that when the bombs were released the plane used to jump upwards from the loss of weight. He also said that the percussion from the exploding bombs used to make him jump up in his seat in the bomber. He was also a social snob who put the boys from the Corporation houses in one line of desks on one side of the classroom and fawned all over the son of the local doctor, and had no reticence about using the full weight of his open hand against your face for the merest misdemeanour, e.g. writing slightly outside the copybook's "blue line". I promised myself (aged seven) that when I became an adult I would either beat the crap out of him if he was still alive, or else find out where his grave was and take a good p#ss all over it. I didn't bother after all - there are more than enough whingers and wimps in the world nowadays.

redneck

I remember the penny for the black babies. But this war was completely overshadowed by the 'Nam.

McTell

Twitter
No
Biafra had oil and was trying to do exactly what Katanga did in 1960.

Funny how we got all warm and wet about Jadotville, and then felt warm and wet about the Igbo. Joined up thinking not always our best card.

Biafra was sat on, katanga is still going on. No, they didn't invite us back to help cos we did so badly the first time....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katanga_insurgency

Maximus Cynicus

Biafra had oil and was trying to do exactly what Katanga did in 1960.

Funny how we got all warm and wet about Jadotville, and then felt warm and wet about the Igbo. Joined up thinking not always our best card.

Biafra was sat on, katanga is still going on. No, they didn't invite us back to help cos we did so badly the first time....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katanga_insurgency
At least they (priests and nuns) did SOMETHING

McTell

Twitter
No
At least they (priests and nuns) did SOMETHING

Dunno, they used other peoples' misery to raise lots of money. 2 million starved to death. We never heard how many were saved, or how much of the money reached the refugees.

All of it, I'm sure.

Dunno, they used other peoples' misery to raise lots of money. 2 million starved to death. We never heard how many were saved, or how much of the money reached the refugees.

All of it, I'm sure.
As someone whose personal friend was one of the survivors he is very clear that the actions of Irish clergy and willingness not to run away was what helped to save many................ while the Brits piled in and sold arms.

McTell

Twitter
No
As someone whose personal friend was one of the survivors he is very clear that the actions of Irish clergy and willingness not to run away was what helped to save many................ while the Brits piled in and sold arms.

I think everyone selling arms was selling arms.

A reminder how bad it could have been if we'd had a real civil war in 1922-23.

New Threads

Most Replies