Biffo on The Week in Politics, RTE1 10:35

Rocky

What's this 'we' business? You are taking me for a FF supporter because I have made a few comments complimenting some FF behaviour and have made some comments disparaging non-FFers? That zero-sum tribal nonsense is what is hollow and requiring medical attention. We will not advance as a nation or a society by tolerating one kind of mediocrity over another and Kenny is thoroughly mediocre and cringeworthy. As is Gilmore and the whole of the FF front bench.

I'd like to see FF put of office and the FF tendency disappear but the Greens have shown themselves to be complete amateurs, Gilmore is an opportunist windbag and Kenny is a pallid time server. Its no addition to the debate to pretend otherwise. Its supposed to be about country over party and to prefer some chancer just because he's NOT FF is just as stupid as proferring someone because he is.

Biffo may be a bit of a slob and no orator but he's still the most EFFECTIVE party leader. He's put through his agenda, beaten off his backbenchers, got a big loan at reasonable rates, he's still in charge and all he has to do is pass his budget, which he will, with the assistance of FG. Considering he was the last MOF before the crash that's some going. The Reps are gone in the US, Brown (much sharper chap) is gone in the UK and wee Brian from Clara is still standing? That's some going. Forget party and think of the country - you want the baddest MOFO leading the team and, viewing the opposition benches, Biffo would have any of them for lunch.
What a pile of nonsense. The reason Bush and Brown are gone and Cowen isn't, is because their terms ended since the crash, Cowen's hasn't and both of them made it to the end of their term, Cowen won't. When Cowen does face an election he will face a far far better defeat then either Labour or the Republicans did.

The other reason Cowen is still there, is the Greens would never accept another FF Taoiseach and all the other other potential FF leaders would rather take over after an election then now.

Kenny has matched Cowen's sole achievement, saying as leader of his party and Kenny isn't still there because no one wants the job at the moment. Cowen got a loan at terrible interest rates and has literally ran this country into the ground. He can't make decisions, his approach as Minister was to keep his head down, shout a bit and do nothing and he would do the same thing as Taoiseach and has tried, but the EU won't let him.

Kenny and Gilmore have already eaten Cowen for lunch. He is destroyed, he is a defeated man. To be fair it wasn't hard, due to Cowen's lack of ability and he has largely destroyed himself but he is destroyed. He even knows it himself now.

Finally I find it shocking that their is still anyone out there who wants him to lead this country.

Rocky

I think it was the arrogance, laziness,tribalism, inefficiency and sense of entitlement of the Irish people that has led us to this pass. Blaming their elected leaders is just mass hypocrisy. Nearly half the people voted FF in the last election knowing what the risks were and now everyone's making out like it some imposed junta. Less in-fighting and more action I say.
Yeah most Irish people make a massive mistake last time and they should take some of the blame for that. However the large majority of Irish people have wanted Cowen and co. to be out for ages now and they have refused to step aside, to let another government solve our problems. Instead they have continued to happily destroy Ireland.

H

Humbert

What a pile of nonsense. The reason Bush and Brown are gone and Cowen isn't, is because their terms ended since the crash, Cowen's hasn't and both of them made it to the end of their term, Cowen won't. When Cowen does face an election he will face a far far better defeat then either Labour or the Republicans did.

The other reason Cowen is still there, is the Greens would never accept another FF Taoiseach and all the other other potential FF leaders would rather take over after an election then now.

Kenny has matched Cowen's sole achievement, saying as leader of his party and Kenny isn't still there because no one wants the job at the moment. Cowen got a loan at terrible interest rates and has literally ran this country into the ground. He can't make decisions, his approach as Minister was to keep his head down, shout a bit and do nothing and he would do the same thing as Taoiseach and has tried, but the EU won't let him.

Kenny and Gilmore have already eaten Cowen for lunch. He is destroyed, he is a defeated man. To be fair it wasn't hard, due to Cowen's lack of ability and he has largely destroyed himself but he is destroyed. He even knows it himself now.

Finally I find it shocking that their is still anyone out there who wants him to lead this country.
Who wants him to continue to lead the country?

H

Humbert

Yeah most Irish people make a massive mistake last time and they should take some of the blame for that. However the large majority of Irish people have wanted Cowen and co. to be out for ages now and they have refused to step aside, to let another government solve our problems. Instead they have continued to happily destroy Ireland.
They didn't make a mistake - they took a punt and lost and hopefully they have learned to stop gambling with their own country's future by voting for eejits. The fact they changed their mind after makes no difference - 5 years is 5 years and the outcome if FG had been in would have been largely the same. We will see how hard they punish FF in the upcoming GE - not hard enough I fear.

Rocky

Who wants him to continue to lead the country?
You.

Forget party and think of the country - you want the baddest MOFO leading the team and, viewing the opposition benches, Biffo would have any of them for lunch.

H

Humbert

Until the budget gets passed, that's true, simply for the sake of stability and certainty. After that I would rather that he would shamble off into the mists of history, quit smoking, moderate his alcohol intake and take some exercise. And take his kinda creepy front bench with him.

If everyone wants change as much as they say they do then no doubt the GE will see a complete change and re-alignment in Irish politics. Except we've been here before - the bungling during the 1980s was even worse (we didn't even appear to get rich for any of it) and people kept voting for and still do, the main parties and before that - in the 1950s when the country nearly shut down because there was no-one left in it and still they kept voting for the same schmucks.

And there is no-one waiting in the wings who isn't either a total neophyte or a weirdo like Joe Higgins or your man from Dun Laoghaire with the big frown. Its hard to see where change is gonna come from. Maybe we can make do with Inda till Barack O'Bama becomes free in 2012 and he'll see us right. MEanwhile FG seem to have the most credible ecoomics team - they are playing politics but that's the game. Can they force through reform against special interests form the docs to the unions - that's the question.

skiii

It is hard to credit a world-view as askew as Humbert's. He is as mad as he is persistent. Whenever I see his post I move on. But they'll keep coming. Sometimes democracy is overrated.

H

Humbert

It is hard to credit a world-view as askew as Humbert's. He is as mad as he is persistent. Whenever I see his post I move on. But they'll keep coming. Sometimes democracy is overrated.
Lets just see what happen - if the budget passes and the sky fails to fall in, do I get to be President?

ManOfReason

I caught five minutes of Cowan on The Week in Politics and I have to say it was pathetic. He was doing his old party trick of being all aggressive, with his jowles bouncing up and down and his lips all pouted, all to give the impression he was saying something meaningful. The reality of course is that him and Lenihan have been exposed as liars and intellectual lightweights, who both achieved the highest offices in the land based on their family dynasties, and in their floundering have brought the country down to this point of economic destruction. :mad:

Beaney

I used to think that Cowen was an intelligent man before he became taoiseach. But on this show, he truly dispelled that myth. At one point, while defending the Anglo guarantee, he actually said "we couldn't take the same approach that was taken with Lehmans....we all saw what happened there"!

To still maintain this view - the guy is either an idiot or he's corrupt. There's no in-between.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies