• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Big fall in support for a United Ireland: RedC/Sunday Times poll

gijoe

According to today's Sunday Times there has been a big fall in support for a United Ireland in the Republic over the last 4 years. The poll was conducted by RedC on October 4-6th.

57% favoured a United Ireland; 22% were against; and, 21% Don't Know.

The number in favour at 57% is down from 80% in a 2006 RedC poll.

Support was consistent across all demographic groups and regions of the country although it was notably higher among younger people (63%) and the Unemployed (73%). I suspect the higher young and unemployed support can be explained by a higher support level for SF among those groups.

eoghanacht

In 2006 we were still intoxicated by the celtic tiger.
In 2010 people are more worried about putting food on the table or paying bills.
Therefore national confidence isn't as high.

Are yo suggesting in your last sentence that only people who support a UI are SF supporters/voters?

absconded

I wonder if the fall in support has anything to do with the lower exposure to Wolfe Tones "music" over the same period? :)

Pro Liberate

I would also say that support is well down in here in north, i would only vote for a united ireland if it economically beneficial which is def not the case now.

Sync

gijoe

Are yo suggesting in your last sentence that only people who support a UI are SF supporters/voters?
Cop on. No I am not saying that. What I am saying is that the HIGHER levels of support among the young and unemployed could be explained by SF's higher level of support among those groups.

Iarmhi Gael

People in the South need the Border to avail of the cheap shopping. No surprise People in the Irish Republic do not want a United Ireland.

I'd also say that Southerns are embarrased of the situation they are in and somewhat red-faced that they gloated* during the Celtic Tiger of their success and looked down on the North as backward to some extent. (*I refer to a speech in Bank of Ireland HQ given to Northern Ireland business leaders and politicians)

Fianna Fail failed policies have done more damage to a United Ireland then any terriorist grouping or British occupation in the North

eoghanacht

Are you suggesting thats not the case?
Well yeah. Unless i missed the newsletter aren't FF and FG atleast paying lipservice to the idea.

eoghanacht

Cop on. No I am not saying that. What I am saying is that the HIGHER levels of support among the young and unemployed could be explained by SF's higher level of support among those groups.
Easy now joe, atleast keep it civil 'til after the first page.

Fair enough i asked you to explain what you meant and you did. Thank you

ocoonassa

"Core to RED C's approach is the desire to utilise the telephone methodology, ensure the most effective question design/format and develop past vote weighting techniques used in the UK and across Europe to better measure and understand the ever increasing number of claimed undecided voters in Ireland."

What does that mean, in laymans terms? What are vote weighting techniques and how have they been used on this poll?

Cato

I wonder what it would fall to if the economic cost of unification was factored into the question.

Sync

I dont believe anybody who votes for a partitionist party and claims to support a united ireland
*shrug* Expand your circle of friends then. The numbers clearly don't back up your assertion.

disgruntledcitizen

a UI is a luxury we simply cannot afford, in the "good times" many people were more optimistic and thought money grew on trees so we could afford it, these same people now know we were not rich (we were just working up a big credit bill) and cannot afford it.

that is not to say that there are not some economic benefits to a UI, however the costs of supporting the north's deficit on top of the souths deficit would bankrupt the country even quicker than Bertie & Co managed.

for now the peoples of both countries need to (and will be focused) on matters of primary importance, for the northern administration thats minimizing the impact of the current UK Gov spending review and for the south trying desperately (and probably in vain) to avoid calling upon the EFSF (IMF/ECB fund).

I very much doubt that apart from the usual suspects any politicans on either side of the border will give it a second thought for some time to come

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

If you exclude the DKs from the sample it's a 72% for and 28% against result.

Not surprised by the actual result though. We're in the worst economic sh!t storm the country has ever faced.

Oh and even though I would like to see a more UI, I'm only to glad of the amount of money I save by shopping up there at the moment. :)

Cork1234

SF popular with the youth? Where? They are all FF or FG or LAB. (Surprising how many are FF)

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
I dont believe anybody who votes for a partitionist party and claims to support a united ireland
fine - so you belive that about 7% of the South and 27% of the North (what's that 12-13% overall?) support a United Ireland?

I presume if that's what you think, you'd be against it happening yourself, being a democrat?

MacCoise2

fine - so you belive that about 7% of the South and 27% of the North (what's that 12-13% overall?) support a United Ireland?

I presume if that's what you think, you'd be against it happening yourself, being a democrat?

well thats why we dont have a united ireland, people dont vote for it

Cato

Well that's why we don't have a united Ireland; people don't vote for it.
And do you accept the democratic decision of the people?