Big increase in taxes needed to cover totally unjustified public sector pay demands expected to be triggered by the Dublin bus drivers' pay award

patslatt

Big increase in taxes needed to cover totally unjustified public sector pay demands expected to be triggered by the Dublin bus drivers' pay award

It looks like the government's pay policy is a shambles as the Dublin bus drivers' pay award in excess of the Labour Court's arbitration award rewarded the drivers' militancy. The entire public sector will view this award which substantially exceeds private sector pay increases as a new benchmark. The fact that the Irish public sector is the most overpaid and overpensioned in the EU with average pay nearly half as high again as the private sector pay average (vs 13% in the UK) will not moderate greedy pay demands.

The government could restore credibility to its policy of public sector pay moderation in two principal ways. First, it should immediately announce that the subsidy to Dublin Bus will remain unchanged. That would mean reduction in bus services and redundancies of a certain proportion of drivers. The latter would come to regret their militancy as they take up very low paid taxi driving or go on the dole. For taxpayers' sake, let's hope that the Minister of Transport didn't whisper to Dublin Bus management that increased subsidies would be available if DB comes with the begging bowl to cover the costs of strikes and pay increases.

Second, the government should immediately refuse to fund the pay demands of new recruits since 2009 in the Garda Siochana, nursing and teaching for restoration of pay parity with the pay of established workers recruited before that year. To a certain extent,the latter in good trade union seniority practice protected their own pay and pension rights at the expense of the former. The government should exploit this difference in a pay settlement by demanding that the pay of established workers be held down to make room for faster pay rises for those new recruits.

If the government caves in to pay demands, government services will deteriorate as fewer workers can be recruited for the same budget and higher taxes to fund pay increases will damage the economy. Traditionally in Ireland, high pay has come at the cost of creaking facilities as seen in prefab schools, underfunded university labs and dated police equipment.

It's time the government stopped regarding taxpayers as suckers who can always be fleeced to fund the vastly overpaid public sector. A general election on this theme might be a worthwhile political exercise.

Last edited:

gatsbygirl20

Bring back Brendan Howlin.....Now, there was a guy who cut PS pay across the board without a strike in sight.....

Sister Mercedes

The phrase 'pay restoration' is ridiculous. It's as if Dutch people a few hundred hears ago were looking for Tulip restoration.

The benchmarking ATM machines spitting money in all directions was a period of mania and grossly irresponsible public spending.

Catalpast

Dublin Bus are a semi State

This will be funded through hefty increases in bus fares come the New Year

- its Joe Public will pay for this....:?

shiel

The phrase 'pay restoration' is ridiculous. It's as if Dutch people a few hundred hears ago were looking for Tulip restoration.

The benchmarking ATM machines spitting money in all directions was a period of mania and grossly irresponsible public spending.
Repeat of Celtic tiger. Bus drivers in Dublin are supposed to be third highest paid in EU before the present awards.

gatsbygirl20

Repeat of Celtic tiger. Bus drivers in Dublin are supposed to be third highest paid in EU before the present awards.
Same with private creches. Second highest fees in the EU. Crippling working parents, Joe Public paying. Staff on minimum wage, but the owners are, as they say, "not doing this for the good of our health"

It's dog eat dog out there...

drummed

Big increase in tax needed.

From other people who are not actually me obviously.

Totally agree.

Sister Mercedes

It is interesting that virtually all of the 'new political voices' since the financial crisis in Ireland have been from the far Left. Whereas in most other countries they have emerged from both the Left and the Right (Sanders and Trump, Farage and Corbyn etc). I wonder will a tax reform / public sector reform movement get going here? Preferably one without any pro-life nonsense to distract them. The PD's disgraced themselves, but that can't be a perpetual obstacle.

gatsbygirl20

Big increase in tax needed.

From other people who are not actually me obviously.

Totally agree.
I can think of lots of reasons why more money needs to go into my pocket and less into other people's. Other people are greedy. I'm living in the real world, and have bills to pay, etc.......
We can't jeopardise the recovery by giving other people money, and certainly not by taking some off me...

drummed

It is interesting that virtually all of the 'new political voices' since the financial crisis in Ireland have been from the far Left. Whereas in most other countries they have emerged from both the Left and the Right (Sanders and Trump, Farage and Corbyn etc). I wonder will a tax reform / public sector reform movement get going here?
One hasn't got going anywhere. The so called far right you speak of dislike brown people. That's the extent of their policies.

You may be more inclined towards the libertarian view of so called small government. As championed by Gary Johnson who doesn't know what Aleppo is and last night when asked failed to mention the name of a single foreign leader. He couldn't think of a single name and his main policy is free dope for everyone.

Not seeing that catching on here.

drummed

I can think of lots of reasons why more money needs to go into my pocket and less into other people's. Other people are greedy. I'm living in the real world, and have bills to pay, etc.......
We can't jeopardise the recovery by giving other people money, and certainly not by taking some off me...
Funny how I was thinking precisely the same thing.

Sister Mercedes

You're forever moaning about the cost of childcare. But you're not much younger than me, so I doubt you've many creche age children to pay for. You're just using the difficulties of younger workers as an excuse to 'restore' your bloated largesse from the spitting ATM years.

Sister Mercedes

One hasn't got going anywhere. The so called far right you speak of dislike brown people. That's the extent of their policies.

You may be more inclined towards the libertarian view of so called small government. As championed by Gary Johnson who doesn't know what Aleppo is and last night when asked failed to mention the name of a single foreign leader. He couldn't think of a single name and his main policy is free dope for everyone.

Not seeing that catching on here.
That wasn't the question. He was asked to name a currently serving foreign leader who he admired. Even someone who knew the names of the leader of every country would struggle with that.

drummed

You're forever moaning about the cost of childcare. But you're not much younger than me, so I doubt you've many creche age children to pay for. You're just using the difficulties of younger workers as an excuse to 'restore' your bloated largesse from the spitting ATM years.
We need to watch that one. Up to no good I suspect.

Anyways, you seem like a good target for a substantial tax hike yourself.

We'll put you on the list.

GDPR

The auld haircut at Peter Marks has jumped to 40 a month and these nails don't manicure themselves. I look forward to an early Christmas present of more pay, less hours and I'd be outraged if the old lump sum isn't increased to 100 minimum. I would also suggest hiring some philipino to answer the phone for me, the people are getting very uppity this weather and I must have time to concentrate whilst out at the golf course every other day. Finally I demand the latest latest android, I look like a pleb with this A3 model.

Sister Mercedes

We need to watch that one. Up to no good I suspect.

Anyways, you seem like a good target for a substantial tax hike yourself.

We'll put you on the list.
When I moved back here, I swore it would be my last move. But I will not stay here to pay even higher taxes to fund pay and pension increases for PS workers who are paid more than me, have far greater job security than me and in most cases are already retired and on their pensions at my age.

patslatt

Bring back Brendan Howlin.....Now, there was a guy who cut PS pay across the board without a strike in sight.....
Cuts from insane Benchmarking levels left still crazy pay levels nearly half as high again as the private sector pay average. The Irish public sector are the new aristocracy, with pension rights for the top half of the pay scales that are available only to handfuls of top executives in the private sector.

gatsbygirl20

But we're all just usernames here....Who knows our ages?

The point still stands.

The cost of childcare--which has increased in almost every creche since the upturn,--is causing far more ongoing hardship to "taxpayers" than a few bus strike days

I know all about it because so many grannies are minding their grandkids to reduce creche costs for their adult kids who are crucified by them.

So much for the free market driving down costs, "competition" etc....

Of course the creche owners--like the bus drivers--quite rightly argue their case and can give you lots of reasons why they have to charge so much

The main one being, that if someone has to take the hit, it's not going to be them.....

They don't have to go on strike. You get your kid settled in to a creche, bonding with staff, happy with familiar faces. Then you show up one morning and you're told that fees have taken a jump. Suck it up.

ruserious

Cuts from insane Benchmarking levels left still crazy pay levels nearly half as high again as the private sector pay average. The Irish public sector are the new aristocracy, with pension rights for the top half of the pay scales that are available only to handfuls of top executives in the private sector.
Here Pat:

www.publicjobs.ie

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies