Big Tom to take his final journey down a country road

automaticforthepeople

Golden Phoenix

This Friday's Late Late is a country music special. I expect the night will be in honour of Big Tom.

Eire1976

The Four country roads will be jammed with people to see him off

enuffisenuff

I'm no country music fan, actually I cant stand it generally...but Big Tom was pretty cool back in the day with some good tunes...RIP

The Nal

Interesting that I never heard of this guy before this morning.

Spirit Of Newgrange

another sad loss. RiP big tom.

automaticforthepeople

A buddy of mine went to see him in the punk era and pogoed up and down to Gentle Mother. Tom gave him a wry look from behind his guitar!

enuffisenuff

A buddy of mine went to see him in the punk era and pogoed up and down to Gentle Mother. Tom gave him a wry look from behind his guitar!
Love it!! Being a metaller I can see where he was coming from!

willyboy14

His trademark song could be revived and
renamed- 4 badly potholed Country, and lack of Council investment roads.!!

Half Nelson

Big Tom had a hand in many a romance over the decades. Many of you may owe your existence to his gentle tones. :)

RIP

Paddyc

He was even better than The Ramones or The Velvet Underground.
There was an apocryphal tale about the Mainliners doing a gig in New York and the crowd that turned up not realising that "Mainliner" in Ireland did not involve mainlining heroin.

automaticforthepeople

He was even better than The Ramones or The Velvet Underground.
I heard another story during his Mainliner days. He arrived in the Bronx where he'd been bigged up as Ireland's Johnny Cash. Tom was playing in some back street venue north of Harlem. Imagine Tom's surprise when he arrived on stage to a tumultuous welcome from a crowd that was high out.
Mainlining in Bronx has a different meaning to Mainlining in Blaney.

Mick Mac

Ar dheis dé

gatsbygirl20

Interesting that I never heard of this guy before this morning.
He was a key part of our cultural history

Back in the late sixties outside of the University cities few people were listening to Dylan, Van, Janis, Joni or CSNY--even if they pretend nowadays that they were

They were standing behind metal railings in the harsh florescent light of the ballroom in Glenamaddy waiting for that subtle signal that started the stampede, as all the guys rushed across the floor where the girls stood in rows on the opposite side corralled in their turn behind metal barriers. "Would you like to dance?" - - every guy had to have mastered that single sentence which opened all doors, - - - or cruelly slammed them shut if you were unlucky

A dance set was three dances which gave the couple time to size each other up. The band announced that the set was over and couples could return to their places. The next key question was "Will you come for a mineral? (a soft drink like Fanta or 7Up)"
That meant you were interested and might proceed further with this dance partner.

It was a clear, easy to follow ritual, understood by the participants, and allowed graceful exits without hurt feelings.

Alas, these clear guidelines in the art of the mating game are missing today. The brash and confident nowadays have no problem, but the shy or awkward youngster has no ritual to follow in the often panicky search for a girlfriend or boyfriend

Big Tom and his band (unironically called the Mainliners) presided benignly over this mating ritual in ballrooms up and down the country.

His songs were pretty dire, truth be told, (He had a big hit in 1967 called Gentle Mother, over which it is charitable to draw a veil)

But he was a nice man, very shy with integrity and quiet charm

RIP

KEYHOLE KATE

Big Tom Mc Bride meant much more to Irish emigrants than Willy John McBride. What a difference a county makes!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Don't want to be too harsh as I'm sure his output means something to someone but he was one of the main criminals in the ongoing musical heist that was Irish country music.

Can't blame him for the whole genre but in my opinion it was just awful. And RTE in combination with Irish country music was basically UN sanction level stuff...

Paddy{ie

He was a key part of our cultural history

Back in the late sixties outside of the University cities few people were listening to Dylan, Van, Janis, Joni or CSNY--even if they pretend nowadays that they were

They were standing behind metal railings in the harsh florescent light of the ballroom in Glenamaddy waiting for that subtle signal that started the stampede, as all the guys rushed across the floor where the girls stood in rows on the opposite side corralled in their turn behind metal barriers. "Would you like to dance?" - - every guy had to have mastered that single sentence which opened all doors, - - - or cruelly slammed them shut if you were unlucky

A dance set was three dances which gave the couple time to size each other up. The band announced that the set was over and couples could return to their places. The next key question was "Will you come for a mineral? (a soft drink like Fanta or 7Up)"
That meant you were interested and might proceed further with this dance partner.

It was a clear, easy to follow ritual, understood by the participants, and allowed graceful exits without hurt feelings.

Alas, these clear guidelines in the art of the mating game are missing today. The brash and confident nowadays have no problem, but the shy or awkward youngster has no ritual to follow in the often panicky search for a girlfriend or boyfriend

Big Tom and his band (unironically called the Mainliners) presided benignly over this mating ritual in ballrooms up and down the country.

His songs were pretty dire, truth be told, (He had a big hit in 1967 called Gentle Mother, over which it is charitable to draw a veil)

But he was a nice man, very shy with integrity and quiet charm

RIP
You forgot the Chipper Van outside. And the Brut/Old Spice wafting throughout the hall. And the tea and Marietta. Or the drop of piddle on th front of the cream trousers after going to the toilet, forcing you to stand behind a chair for 20 minutes while it dried.

KEYHOLE KATE

"
HAD I the heavens’ embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

W.B. Yeats (1865–1939)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies