• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Bigotry, social media, and the new Irish:

McSlaggart

SDLP MLA Daniel McCrossan said he made a complaint to police after posts appeared on social media from users bragging about collecting Alliance, Sinn Fein and SDLP posters in the Tyrone area.

On Twitter user posted a picture of the boards saying he would use them for July bonfires.

Earlier this week, Belfast SDLP candidate Heather Wilson said she was accused of "stirring up tensions in a Protestant area" by putting her posters up in Ballysillan.

Their is now a greater danger than ever in using social media to post up actions which may be seen as "anti catholic". I have come across instances of people from Lithunia and Poland posting up the address of people whom have carried out action that my be taken as anti-Catholic.

michael-mcivor

Poor SDLP Mairia Cahill can’t stand in this years local elections because she forgot to put her home address on her nomination forms- but she posts in every social media around the globe-
She wants everyone to know her but not to know her home address in case local people have a problem and need to see her-
If you can’t handle social media then you are no good in the real world and should be representing no-one-

Pyewacket

OP, I am not clear what your last sentence means. Are you saying victims of hate crimes are posting the names and addresses of the alleged perpetrators on social media, rather than reporting them to the PSNI? Or that social media is being used to encourage hate crimes? Or both/something else?

McSlaggart

OP, I am not clear what your last sentence means. Are you saying victims of hate crimes are posting the names and addresses of the alleged perpetrators on social media, rather than reporting them to the PSNI? Or that social media is being used to encourage hate crimes? Or both/something else?

People from other parts of Europe will post up the names and address of people who have carried out (perpetrators) of "hate crimes". I have never come across anyone who grew up in the society of the North posting up such details. The drunken antics of say taking down posters may have much greater impact now than in the past. (The taking down of sdlp posters is just stupid)

Pyewacket

People from other parts of Europe will post up the names and address of people who have carried out (perpetrators) of "hate crimes". I have never come across anyone who grew up in the society of the North posting up such details. The drunken antics of say taking down posters may have much greater impact now than in the past. (The taking down of sdlp posters is just stupid)
Thanks, I wasn't sure what you meant. because Poles certainly have been targeted in NI, as have other immigrants/temporary workers. There is a good deal on NI social media which is hateful, even if it does not reach the threshold for prosecution as hate speech. Some of it is so illiterate, it might not be possible to determine what the speaker actually intends!

I agree that what might seem a minor bit of horseplay can escalate. It's only on looking back that people are able to say "It started when X, Y, Z".

rem81

Brits out blacks in

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies