• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bill Cullen to Mary Hanafin: "You're hired!"

darkknight

Mary Hanafin should be the Taoiseach

APPRENTICE boss Bill Cullen wants Brian Cowen fired as CEO of Ireland Inc in favour of a "feisty" Mary Hanafin.

The successful entrepreneur believes that the situation is now so dire that all the main parties should come together to form a national government.

However, he wouldn't allow the Green Party into the arrangement because they would ruin the country with a madcap agenda.

The "disappointed" Fianna Fail supporter told the Herald today that he believes Ms Hanafin is the best performer in Irish politics and would "blossom" in the role of Taoiseach.

"Women are multi-taskers. I've been doing school visits for years now. If I go into a girls' school they'll knock the socks off the boys," the self-made millionaire said.

"She is, unfortunately because of the death of her husband, a single lady, so we'll get 120pc from her.

"And she's proven herself in many different ministries over the years. She's been used to go out there and try put up the blocks when things go wrong with the media and she handles it particularly well," he said. "She's a diplomat. And she's feisty. If you get on the wrong side of her, she'll tell you what she thinks.

"She has all the characteristics that I like as a leader. If she got the job she would blossom."

the_rebubblican

Go F**k yerself Bill and your "lovely, lovely legs" stick with entertainment. It's time for the plain speaking power of a national vote.

gatsbygirl20

Mary was able to give a word perfect interview on Newstalk the morning after the night before. She was on Miriam O'Callaghan's TV thingy deflecting criticism from Cowen later that night. Even Miriam saw the irony "Look, I'm sorry...I know you're always wheeled out at times like this..."

She is the typical office "treasure" of the pre-feminist era---the hardworking, dull looking lady secretary who covers for the boss, knows his job better than he does, but who is never promoted, or even noticed....

Cowen has sidelined Hanafin, probably because she is a middle aged, ambitious, competent woman who wants his job, and who has none of Coughlan's ladette bluster.
She can never be one of the boys, mainly because of her total inability to buy her round, or to sing "Four Roads To Glenamaddy" while sculling pints.
Doing impersonations of golfers at 3 .a.m seems to be beyond her, also

Just not leadership material, I guess

darkknight

I reckon FF could do a lot worse than opt for Mary Hanafin.

If nothing else, as the first female Taoiseach she might convince some mná na hEireann to support FF at the next GE (and I can't see anyone else convincing many people of either gender to do that!).

derm0t

Anyone who uses the term "Ireland, Inc", should have their navel nailed to a tree.

Hey Pearse, how about you add a final stanze to "The Rebel", after "we will try it out with ye, liars, tyrants, Hypocrites", along the lines of:

"And we shall run our country as a corporation, on best practice,
maximising shareholder value,
ensuring that our institutions will be competitive in the global marketplace,
our leaders fit for purpose,
the nation (inc), shall rise to glory, going forward".

yeah, the boys in 1916 will march to their deaths with those words ringing in their ears, no?

Last edited:

Mar Tweedy

Afaik she is only single in the sense of not being married. It's old news so I hope it's still on the go.

Aristodemus

Why are the pronouncements of this old fossil Cullen given such prominence? Ben Dunne had him pegged a couple of months ago with his withering put down that Cullen was "showing his age". (I bet that hurt). He doesn't even realise how sexist that comment about Hanafin actually was. I wonder what his understanding of "multitasking actually is? If Hanafin is the new standard to aspire to it probably means she can run a cabinet meeting and make sandwiches for the lads at the same time.

Tom245

What a load of old horsesh1t. He'd be out of business if it wasn't for the scrappage bailout for motor dealers, who in my experience all seems to be rabid FF supporters.

LeDroit

The last thing the country needs is a lurch back to our Opus Dei past. Let's leave the pious, sanctimonious repression stuff to Dermo 'Blasphemy Law/Film Banning' Ahern.

Hanafin is DeValera in a dress.

showbandmanager

The disappointed fianna fail voter who would now like to see a national govt. Every time FF screw up the country we get this national govt stuff . why don't all the other parties
row in behind FF and then if the country recovers FF will make it seem as if it was all their doing

meriwether

The woords 'Bill', 'Cullen', 'hypocritical' and '************************' aren't in enough sentences.

Odious character.

Rocket Man

In my view Mary Hanafin is about the worst type of politician.
Yes she is quite competent and hardworking but she is incapable of independent thought.
All you ever get from her is the official party line.
She will never stray even marginally from this regardless of the issue.
If FF were to bring in a policy of exterminating all baby boys under the age of two then you just know that she would be wheeled out on Primetime to defend the policy.
And though I have no doubt that she would not support such a measure she would still defend it to the last.

Tom245

If FF were to bring in a policy of exterminating all baby boys under the age of two then you just know that she would be wheeled out on Primetime to defend the policy.
And though I have no doubt that she would not support such a measure she would still defend it to the last.
I've no doubt she would have 'concerns' which she would raise with the relevant Minister, and then believe it necessary.

CookieMonster

We need Ben Dunne to comment on this now. :D

Rex Ryan

The last thing the country needs is a lurch back to our Opus Dei past. Let's leave the pious, sanctimonious repression stuff to Dermo 'Blasphemy Law/Film Banning' Ahern.

Hanafin is DeValera in a dress.
If this is true, has she been called out on it in public? Surely as a member of Opus Dei she owes her ultimate allegiance to the Catholic Church and not the state and therefore cannot serve a 'secular' state ahead of this?

Didn't Ruth Kelly get in a load of trouble for Opus Dei membership in the UK?

BBC NEWS | UK | Education | Profile: Ruth Kelly

stoichkov

mary hanafin is your typical fianna fail drone-droid. no actual political gifts or vision, just an unblinking willingness to defend the party to the death.

she's every bit as much of a dud as the rest of them.

as for bill cullen, surely it must be time for the phoenix to do another piece about all his loss-making companies. business genius my arse.