• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bill Pay Mobile Phones - Issues Ahead

Malbekh

There's a problem coming down the line, just wondering if people are having or seeing the same issues I've had.

First.

Independent phone retailers don't exist any more apart from Carphone Warehouse. Other than that, we just have the ubiquitous host shops of the indigenous service providers. What's more, the providers are actively encouraging people to buy online. This makes rational sense, what is the point in having expensive retail outlets and expensive staff when you can sell online with far greater profit margins? In addition, people don't trust the providers on giving expert opinions on phones, so you can make the right decision based on reviews on sites where the expertise lies.

Second.

The reason why the independents have gone out of business is down to online traffic including being isolated by the service providers that have completely changed their modus operandi. Partly, this is down to a lack of sweetheart deals from the phone manufacturers, but mostly this is down to a change in perspective on how to maximise their profits. Before, the industry standard was that you could change your network provider - depending on the size of your business of course - and get the top rated phones for free for you and your employees as long as you sign up for a year. This has changed in the last 18 months. Now you are limited on the phones that you get for free, and typically it will be last year's flagship models, but more importantly, the operators now want to tie you to 18 or 24 month contact.

Third.

This is where the problem actually is. Mobile phones are not built to last 2 years. Why should they? As a rule of the thumb, the phones are updated once or twice a year and the peer pressure is always to change your phone to the latest offering. It's possible that the old phone will be passed on to another party but there is no guarantee with this, so we don't have a decent picture of how well these phones perform. All I can say is that in recent experience, I've had serious issues with business phones at work lagging, crashing, or having a issues completing basic tasks such as taking and making phone calls.

Anybody else seeing this?

commonman

Try and live a few weeks without a phone ,its good for the mind try it.

jackryan

Try and live a few weeks without a phone ,its good for the mind try it.
Have to agree, Went on hols recently my phone didn't work, at first panic stations and then hey I can survive without it and enjoyed it.

SPN

Nokia 6310i

Third.

This is where the problem actually is. Mobile phones are not built to last 2 years. Why should they? As a rule of the thumb, the phones are updated once or twice a year and the peer pressure is always to change your phone to the latest offering. It's possible that the old phone will be passed on to another party but there is no guarantee with this, so we don't have a decent picture of how well these phones perform. All I can say is that in recent experience, I've had serious issues with business phones at work lagging, crashing, or having a issues completing basic tasks such as taking and making phone calls.

Anybody else seeing this?
Well as have have 3 phones in 12 years and figuring on not replacing for least 2 years then must just be lucky.

Orbit v2

So-called smart phones are in fact small computers, which means they do general computery things quite well, but in many ways they are inferior actual phones compared to what we had in the past. This is particularly true for Android phones which can be very frustrating to use.

I don't get the two year thing though. The products might well be getting updated faster than that. But, individual units should last two to three at least. Battery life is probably the main problem, since smart phones use so much power.

operationbustnation

Perhaps I missed the point of this thread, Issues ahead?

What Issues?

As for my phone I use it more for text, email and online browsing, with the occasion watch of a video and video calls.

Phone Calls are one of the few things I use it for these days.

Zerubbabel

Don't be a drone and prisoner any more, one of my ambitions in life is to find a way to get rid of my phone, email, wristwatch / clocks.

Set yourself free.

Last edited:

Malbekh

What Issues?

As for my phone I use it more for text, email and online browsing, with the occasion watch of a video and video calls.

Sure, you're a business tied into a 2 year contact with service provider of your choice. You give your employees their shiny last-year's-flagship phones as they are the best you can get. 18 months down the line and the phones start to fail for various reasons. Have you any idea how much it costs to replace them? An absolute fortune. That's a big issue when you get tied into a contract like that.

jcdf

Not unexpected. This of course will result in the shutting down of yet more retail stores and subsequent loss of jobs.

Oh and what do you think of the Lab? A merger between AIB and some cellphone/laptop shop. They have an outlet in Dundrum.

So-called smart phones are in fact small computers, which means they do general computery things quite well, but in many ways they are inferior actual phones compared to what we had in the past. This is particularly true for Android phones which can be very frustrating to use.

I don't get the two year thing though. The products might well be getting updated faster than that. But, individual units should last two to three at least. Battery life is probably the main problem, since smart phones use so much power.
I have had no problems with my new cellphone in a technical sense. As for applications draining the battery just disable them and set the display screen for rapid turn off as that drains battery too.

jcdf

Not unexpected. This of course will result in the shutting down of yet more retail stores and subsequent loss of jobs.

Oh and what do you think of the Lab? A merger between AIB and some cellphone/laptop shop. They have an outlet in Dundrum.

I have had no problems with my new cellphone in a technical sense. As for applications draining the battery just disable them and set the display screen for rapid turn off as that drains battery too.

cnocpm

Don't be a drone and prisoner any more, one of my ambitions in life is to find a way to get rid of my phone, email, wristwatch / clocks.

Set yourself free.

Can't help you with the free part,but an extended trip down the block in Wandsword will accomplish the rest.

gijoe

I have not a balls notion what the OP is on about. You can buy an unlocked phone for any number of online outlets or get your existing phone unlocked and all providers are offering SIM only plans. Lycamobile is probably best of the unlimited plans at €29/month and there is no contract - just top up and buy the bundle month to month.

gijoe

What Issues?

Tesco mobile might be best for you where data is just 2c/MB or €6.99/GB. Download the cabbage app for free texts and use someone like 007.com for your mobile calls - calling Irish landlines circa 1c/minute and mobiles 6.7c/minute plus data costs of circa 1c/minute.

devnull

What about it?!
It's a legendary phone.
It does nothing aside from phone calls and texts, but is considered unrivalled in how well it does them - it has the reliability of a T-34 tank and the build quality of a block of titanium.

Edit: The OP's third complaint was that phones don't last 2 years. This is the Duracell Bunny of them.