• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Billy Timmins- A belated rising star?

geraghd

Billy Timmins (though with a seemingly admirable background as an Officer in the Defence Forces) never really impressed me on the national stage.. up until now.
Watched his performance on Q&A on Monday 15th Dec and he came across excellently. He was clear, concise, passionate, convincing, and spoke with authority and impact on his brief which included Lisbon.

I have never really followed him, but did anyone feel the same, or is it just I haven't heard very much from him.

If he continues with this, he will add immeasurably to the front bench coming up to the next GE.

Last edited:

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Q and A from Monday past?
He was dismally rubbish, even with so many easy punches to land on the government.
He made Micheal Martin look polished, which was difficult given the fact that Martin was being filletted in stereo by Mary-Lou and that Simons gal from Libertas at the time.
FG really need to cop on and sort out their front bench. For every Jim Reilly or Richard Bruton, it appears that there is still some superannuated, out-of-their-depth, time-server like Timmins.
Rising star? Only to the most one-eyed of Blueshirts. Face facts - he's useless. That's why you haven't heard very much from him in the past.

Oppenheimer

He was dismally rubbish, even with so many easy punches to land on the government.
He made Micheal Martin look polished, which was difficult given the fact that Martin was being filletted in stereo by Mary-Lou and that Simons gal from Libertas at the time.
FG really need to cop on and sort out their front bench. For every Jim Reilly or Richard Bruton, it appears that there is still some superannuated, out-of-their-depth, time-server like Timmins.
Rising star? Only to the most one-eyed of Blueshirts. Face facts - he's useless. That's why you haven't heard very much from him in the past.
Would agree that Mary-Lou seems to be sticking more to the substance this time, but Simons filleting Martin - give us a break, she was patendly uncomfortable with remembering the facts she needed to get out of her brain(?) in the Treaty section and was clueless in any other question raised that evening. She will need to polish up on her memory skills on wider current affairs issues if Libertas intend running her in Dublin which I believe is the intention.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Would agree that Mary-Lou seems to be sticking more to the substance this time, but Simons filleting Martin - give us a break, she was patendly uncomfortable with remembering the facts she needed to get out of her brain(?) in the Treaty section and was clueless in any other question raised that evening. She will need to polish up on her memory skills on wider current affairs issues if Libertas intend running her in Dublin which I believe is the intention.
I'm simply telling it as I saw it.
Simons destroyed Martin, waving a treaty in his face that he wants us to sign off on, but that he hasn't read himself. He came across as a blustering fool in response.
I'm not party political. I would be suspicious of Libertas and outright hostile to Sinn Fein. But I can only describe what I saw on last Monday's show - the women performed excellently, the Minister poorly, and that slackjaw from Fine Gael was beyond pointless.

geraghd

I'm simply telling it as I saw it.
Simons destroyed Martin, waving a treaty in his face that he wants us to sign off on, but that he hasn't read himself. He came across as a blustering fool in response.
I'm not party political. I would be suspicious of Libertas and outright hostile to Sinn Fein. But I can only describe what I saw on last Monday's show - the women performed excellently, the Minister poorly, and that slackjaw from Fine Gael was beyond pointless.

Well I couldn't disagree with your analysis more. Whilst Simons came across as an excellent communicator her "stunt" with the Minister was fairly mute, if not a bit embarassing, especially when Martin then gave her something to read which she wouldn't herself. In other words she was given her own medicine and actually responded less well than Martin did when she waved the treaty at him. She looked a tad like a pechalent child than a serious debater.

mollox

Timmins looks and sounds like a redneck. But when you can get past that prejudice, he usually has something sensible and considered to say.
As for Mary-Lou and Simons filleting anyone - I don't think so. Waving the treaty was Ganley's prize stunt last time out. But Like McDowell going up the pole, it won't work twice.

turdsl

Was that the man who made the stupid comment about Ganley dinning in the Shelbourne

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Well I couldn't disagree with your analysis more. Whilst Simons came across as an excellent communicator her "stunt" with the Minister was fairly mute, if not a bit embarassing, especially when Martin then gave her something to read which she wouldn't herself. In other words she was given her own medicine and actually responded less well than Martin did when she waved the treaty at him. She looked a tad like a pechalent child than a serious debater.
Dude, you could hardly be considered agnostic on this issue, given your sig.
You are ideologically prevented from agreeing with my analysis, which as I said has the benefit over yours of being without added agenda.
Give it a rest for once and deal with the title topic.
Timmins a rising star?

Parnella

Billy Timmins (though with a seemingly admirable background as an Officer in the Defence Forces) never really impressed me on the national stage.. up until now.
Watched his performance on Q&A on Monday 15th Dec and he came across excellently. He was clear, concise, passionate, convincing, and spoke with authority and impact on his brief which included Lisbon.

I have never really followed him, but did anyone feel the same, or is it just I haven't heard very much from him.

If he continues with this, he will add immeasurably to the front bench coming up to the next GE.
Hope you are right :D:D

Because, if Timmins is positioned for this role, he will make sure that Fine Gael go nowhere.

The guy is clueless. A bit player, Mary Lou McDonald was miles ahead.

Other than Richard Bruton, this appears to be all you have to offer :rolleyes:

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Last Monday was the first time I had ever seen Billy Timmins on Q&A. He was very good.
Really, he wasn't. He was very bad, in fact.

And Leo Varadkar, James Reilly, Brian Hayes, Olwyn Enright, Fergus O' Dowd, Charlie Flanagan, Michael Ring, Alan Shatter and Simon Coveney wouldn't make great ministers?
I'd give you at best three of those.
Varadkar needs to calm down, Enright's useless, Brian Hayes is in the wrong party but unfortunately for him Unionism no longer organises in the 26 counties, and O'Dowd, Flanagan, Ring? You're joking, right?
See, this is why FG need Labour in government. Not to make up the numbers in the Dail so much as to make up the numbers in cabinet.

geraghd

Dude, you could hardly be considered agnostic on this issue, given your sig.
You are ideologically prevented from agreeing with my analysis, which as I said has the benefit over yours of being without added agenda.
Give it a rest for once and deal with the title topic.
Timmins a rising star?

You were the one who brought up the Simons thing to start with. And I could just as easily say you are ideologically prevented from agreeing with my analysis and could not be considered agnostic either but lazy comments like that don't serve any purpose. So rather than argue with me perhaps you could argue the substance of this thread.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
You were the one who brought up the Simons thing to start with. And I could just as easily say you are ideologically prevented from agreeing with my analysis and could not be considered agnostic either but lazy comments like that don't serve any purpose. So rather than argue with me perhaps you could argue the substance of this thread.
Unlike you, I HAVE been arguing the substance of the thread. See above.
Now, you can keep trying to defend the indefensible, and you can keep throwing unsubstantiated slurs in my direction, or you can take your ADHD medicine and try to focus on the TOPIC.

DJP

Really, he wasn't. He was very bad, in fact.
A "fact" according to you...???

I'd give you at best three of those.
Varadkar needs to calm down, Enright's useless, Brian Hayes is in the wrong party but unfortunately for him Unionism no longer organises in the 26 counties, and O'Dowd, Flanagan, Ring? You're joking, right?
:roll: I don't know what is sadder your view of Olwyn Enright being useless, your description (coming from a man who does not use his real name online) of Brian Hayes as being unionist or the latter three as being unworthy. When you add them all together you get a stupid post from an ignorant and nasty (I'm basing the nasty on many of your contributions on this site) poster.

Pathetic...

geraghd

Unlike you, I HAVE been arguing the substance of the thread. See above.
Now, you can keep trying to defend the indefensible, and you can keep throwing unsubstantiated slurs in my direction, or you can take your ADHD medicine and try to focus on the TOPIC.

No you attacked my credentials but insinuating I has some sort of agenda which makes you more credible than I, and you say I made a slur on you? Come off it, act a little mature when debating, and yes, try to not to be hypocritical in telling others to deal with the topic when you take it off course by bringing up the Q&A debate and attack others' credentials.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
A "fact" according to you...???
And confirmed on this thread by every non-FG poster thus far. And by most of the people on the Q and A thread for that debate, I believe.

:roll: I don't know what is sadder your view of Olwyn Enright being useless, your description (coming from a man who does not use his real name online) of Brian Hayes as being unionist or the latter three as being unworthy. When you add them all together you get a stupid post from an ignorant and nasty (I'm basing the nasty on many of your contributions on this site) poster.

Pathetic...
...like FG's front bench, do you mean? Or perhaps not quite THAT pathetic?
I don't see you putting together a list of Enright's many stellar achievements to prove me wrong.
I don't see the alleged merit of using your real name online on this BB either. You do? Woo hoo! So effing what?
Hayes as Unionist has been covered so often it hardly merits revisiting. Are you suggesting he's NOT?
And again, I don't see you demonstrating the worthiness for cabinet office of the others.
Now, I'm sorry you think I'm being nasty to your precious front bench. And I'm doubly sorry that you didn't get the response to this thread you expected and hoped for, where people all came along to enthusiastically agree that the grunting fool Timmins is indeed the Obama-esque messiah Ireland has been waiting for.
I am sorry. But I don't see any reason to lie to you to make you feel better.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
No you attacked my credentials but insinuating I has some sort of agenda which makes you more credible than I, and you say I made a slur on you? Come off it, act a little mature when debating, and yes, try to not to be hypocritical in telling others to deal with the topic when you take it off course by bringing up the Q&A debate and attack others' credentials.
Firstly, the OP brought up the Q and A debate first.
Secondly, I compared Timmins' performance on that debate to the others present to highlight his poor performance. Entirely on topic.
It was YOU who went gallopping off-topic because you have an issue about Libertas and Lisbon.
So far, you've yet to opine at all in relation to Timmins. Your purpose here is the same as your purpose on most threads. To whine about Lisbon and Libertas.
You lost. It was months ago. Get over it already.

DJP

I don't see the alleged merit of using your real name online on this BB either. You do? Woo hoo! So effing what?
I am merely pointing out that all of our TD's are directly elected by the people and that you are merely a political nobody who when on this site frequently spends your time posting nasty often (perhaps generally) untrue comments about others.

At least have the balls to tell people who you are instead of coming across as the screwed up SDLP supporter from the Ardoyne in Belfast. Thank God- and I'm sure SDLP members debating/looking on this site agree- there is only one of you here.

You can be dismissed as a crank.

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
I am merely pointing out that all of our TD's are directly elected by the people and that you are merely a political nobody who when on this site frequently spends your time posting nasty often (perhaps generally) untrue comments about others.

At least have the balls to tell people who you are instead of coming across as the screwed up SDLP supporter from the Ardoyne in Belfast. Thank God- and I'm sure SDLP members debating/looking on this site agree- there is only one of you here.

You can be dismissed as a crank.
I STILL don't see you making the case for the cabinet-level quality of those people you feel slighted that I dismissed.
Instead, I see an ad hominem attack.
Plenty of people know who I am. Anyone with a need to know does, anyway. Obviously, you're not one of them.

draiocht23

I hate to interrupt a good fight but in relation to Timmins, I heard him being interviewed on Drivetime yesterday with the Indo's Brendan Keenan. He just seemed to parrot everything Keenan had just uttered, about the financial regulator.

I also saw him on Prime Time and while his performance was not awful, it didn't stand out as particularly great.

Basically, he's no Bruton.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies