• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"Bin Men" have first dibs on new Dublin Fire Fighting jobs apparently..

D

Dylan2010

Listening to "joe" Dublin City council and the unions Siptu and Impact came to an agreement to transfer staff within DCC. A number of jobs have come up for new position (~25) fire fighting posts with Dublin Fire Brigade however one of the conditions is that they have to be working with the council for a year. So no matter how keen you are , a librarian or bin man can get the job but nobody in the wider community.
It wouldnt matter so much with pencil pushing jobs, but seems like one should fill fire fighting jobs out the widest pool of people you can choose from.
Another example of the lobbies looking after their own?

Seanie Lemass

Not recruiting from outside is something imposed by the state, not the unions. Besides, anyone getting the job will still need to pass a strenuous physical test.

SilverSpurs

Not recruiting from outside is something imposed by the state, not the unions. Besides, anyone getting the job will still need to pass a strenuous physical test.
BinMen would surely have the physical strength to be a good fireman and would be used to working at very unsociable hours in very unpleasant conditions.

Analyzer

It is not easy get people to take up bin removal as an occupation. And I have full respect for them for the job they do.

D

Dylan2010

but still, its one of those jobs that attract very keen people , a "bin man" wanting a change of scene doesnt do it for me even if he can pass the tests. why go for second tier canditates if there are better out there?

firefly123

This was imposed on us by the recruitment embargo. You know because we are bloated and whatnot. This is the result. They still have to meet the physical and medical requirements.
Apparently we will be recruiting externally in October for controllers (who will have the option to become firefighters within four years.

artfoley56

so bin men have first refuseal (sic) on firemen jobs. jest they were binned and treated like trash they cant expect to be dumped where they want

i'll get my coat

D

Dylan2010

This was imposed on us by the recruitment embargo. You know because we are bloated and whatnot. This is the result. They still have to meet the physical and medical requirements.
Apparently we will be recruiting externally in October for controllers (who will have the option to become firefighters within four years.
im sure it was imposed but it doesnt sound logical, if there are surplus staff elsewhere in DCC then make them redundant. It doesnt inspire confidence if the best pool of staff you can have isnt being used. Whats next bus drivers taking charge of ambulances?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
It is not easy get people to take up bin removal as an occupation. And I have full respect for them for the job they do.
It is easy if the pay is good enough.

Astral Peaks

im sure it was imposed but it doesnt sound logical, if there are surplus staff elsewhere in DCC then make them redundant. It doesnt inspire confidence if the best pool of staff you can have isnt being used. Whats next bus drivers taking charge of ambulances?
No that won't happen.

Ambulances rarely get to travel in groups of three!

ShoutingIsLeadership

If ever something highlighted the stupidty of broad-brush recruitment embargoes.

So you make people redundant at great cost, then you incur considerable costs recruiting externally?

That doesn't make sense.

Additionally, redundancy is not allowed where there is a suitable job available within the company. Employers are forced to show that they have attempted to redeploy a worker but couldn't find a suitable position before they make a job redundant

Oriel27

So you make people redundant at great cost, then you incur considerable costs recruiting externally?

That doesn't make sense.

Additionally, redundancy is not allowed where there is a suitable job available within the company. Employers are forced to show that they have attempted to redeploy a worker but couldn't find a suitable position before they make a job redundant
i was listening to that show at lunch time.

it seems to me the public sector are looking after their own people and to hell with the rest of the people.

The public sector need to undergo forced redundancy’s, get rid of the dead wood and employ competent people to work there.

Listening to that show, there was a young guy who probably spent a fortune and lots of time doing all these H&S courses to get into the fire service.
Now its apparent he has wasted his time.

I hope now the government force a 7% cut on wages and start forcing redundancy’s. There are too many people on cushy safe jobs on all levels in the public sector.

The system is wrong, very wrong.

hammer

Are ye under staffed ?

I know ye are top heavy :)

blokesbloke

The Law of Unintended Consequences.

People whine that the PS is bloated and overstaffed, so when there is a recruitment embargo and methods like this have to be used to get round it, this is what you get.

It is however then used as another example of how crap the PS is and how it needs more reform.

i was listening to that show at lunch time.

it seems to me the public sector are looking after their own people and to hell with the rest of the people.

The public sector need to undergo forced redundancy’s, get rid of the dead wood and employ competent people to work there.

Listening to that show, there was a young guy who probably spent a fortune and lots of time doing all these H&S courses to get into the fire service.
Now its apparent he has wasted his time.

I hope now the government force a 7% cut on wages and start forcing redundancy’s. There are too many people on cushy safe jobs on all levels in the public sector.

The system is wrong, very wrong.
You haven't addressed the employer's obligation to seek alternative work for his employee if he is making a position redundant.

This applies equally to the private sector.

Sister Mercedes

You haven't addressed the employer's obligation to seek alternative work for his employee if he is making a position redundant.

Playing with words there, Des. A Private Sector Employer may have a moral requirement to help their compulsory redundant employee find a new job, but for the Public sector Employer there is no compulsory redundancy. There is only another job, at the same pay and conditions, at least.

There's an article in the Daily Mail today about the appalling pay and conditions of Cabin Crew on Ryanair flights.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326003/Ryanair-air-hostess-blows-whistle-contract-staff-forced-months-unpaid-leave-buy-uniforms.html?ico=home^headlines

Yet very recently the former Secretary General of the Department of Transport (in receipt of a huge lump sum and PS pension) joined the Board of Directors of Ryanair.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/former-transport-department-official-one-of-two-women-to-join-ryanair-board-1.2894

The Public-Private Gap in Ireland is a Grotesque Chasm that just keeps getting bigger.

Last edited:
Playing with words there, Des. A Private Sector Employer may have a moral requirement to help their compulsory redundant employee find a new job, but for the Public sector Employer there is no compulsory redundancy. There is only another job, at the same pay and conditions, at least.
'm not playing with words at all.

I've been through the redundancy thing on more than one occasion in private companies and consideration of redeploying an employee who is in a position which is being lost is mandatory. If as an employer I fail in this regard I can expect to find myself in the Labour Court at the very least.

cricket

So, what do people want ? With the bin service being privatised, there are surplus staff. There are vacancies in the fire service, as a first step the surplus bin staff are being offered a chance to redeploy if they meet the fitness requirements, etc. Seems very logical to me. Problem is many anti public sector ranters on here work themselves into such a frenzy they can't apply logic.

D

Dylan2010

its not normally comparable. Its one thing redeploying a park maintenace person to road maintenance, But for front line staff , i'd like to know they recruited the best that they can, not just minimum acceptable when there are beteer people out there. Unions like the current approach as it helps existing members at the expense of the next generation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies