Biographies of the 1916 leaders

EU RULES

what relevance has this got to lisbon??? fool

Digout

Normally, I would ask why the hell are you posting this, but I decided to have a quick ready of Connollys one, and now I know. Of only we had the likes today....

netron

Normally, I would ask why the hell are you posting this, but I decided to have a quick ready of Connollys one, and now I know. Of only we had the likes today....
EXACTLY.

sometimes it pays to go back to the past and read again what the Irish Republic is all about.

that is why i posted it.

netron

Digout

EXACTLY.

sometimes it pays to go back to the past and read again what the Irish Republic is all about.

that is why i posted it.
Soon, we will need their spirit to defend the republic they died for.

Digout

And the founder of Fianna Fail was not man enough to take a bullet, the sneaky bollox.

Ramon21

netron

Soon, we will need their spirit to defend the republic they died for.
mad thing about it - reading through it - is the sheer range of ages. Ceannt was fairly young, in his thirties, while Clarke was 59.

Joseph Plunkett - was only 29.

Digout

mad thing about it - reading through it - is the sheer range of ages. Ceannt was fairly young, in his thirties, while Clarke was 59.

Joseph Plunkett - was only 29.
Its how organised they were that really interests me.

I actually paid a visit to Seán Mac Diarmada home in Leitrim at the weekend. Beautiful part of the country but very isolated. One thing that did strike me though was the number of little old derelict cottages, probably around when he was a lad & the number of modern half built houses from the boom time, now abandoned, never to be touched. It was quite a sad juxtaposition.

Utopian Hermit Monk

some interesting voice recordings at Bureau of Military History

General Sean MacEoin
Madam Gonne McBride
Oscar Traynor
Sean Moylan
Sean T O Kelly
William O' Brien
William T Cosgrave
Mrs Eamon Ceannt (Áine Ceannt)
Mrs Tom Clarke (Kathleen Clarke)
Rev Fr. Aloysius Cap
The Hon. Conor A. Maguire
The Hon Mr Justice George Gavan Duffy

This series consists of 12 voice recordings (VR) collected by the Bureau in 1950/51, with the cooperation of the Irish Folklore Commission. Witnesses selected for recording were deemed 'unique in some outstanding way from the point of view of historians' (BMH S 1412) and add a different texture to the BMH Collection, allowing researchers today to hear the accents and inflections of individuals as they tell their stories in their own words.

Among those recorded were Áine Ceannt, widow of the executed 1916 leader Éamonn Ceannt, who recounts the first meeting of the IRB Military Council in her home in Oakley Road, Dublin; the labour leader William O’Brien, who recounts his memories of the executed 1916 leader James Connolly and Maud Gonne McBride, who speaks of the reasons she moved from being a 'carefree society girl' to becoming a revolutionary leader.

Telstar 62

And the founder of Fianna Fail was not man enough to take a bullet, the sneaky bollox.
He had a nervous breakdown.

Just as well the garrison at Boland's Mill barely saw a British soldier all week.............

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies