• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Birmingham Pub Bombings

between the bridges

I can smell bacon cooking. I didn’t know it then but that was the smell of burnt hair, bodies and dying people. I was about ten foot away from the bomb as it went off, and in the smoke and dust filled darkness, although I can’t hear them, there are dead and dying people all around me. Later the body count is to total eleven, the injured in there number 100 per cent.
Birmingham pub bombings: 38 years on - Birmingham Mail

Sitting alone at first light in a deserted New Street, it was difficult to imagine the traumatic scenes witnessed just a few hours before. I reflected on the fact that so many peoples lives had suddenly changed forever.
birmingham pub bombings

My first impression when I arrived in the Bull Ring was like the Blitz all over again, broken plate glass windows littered the surrounding streets, people were running all over the place, I must have got there within minutes of the explosions.
Photographer remembers Birmingham pub bombings: "It was like the Blitz" - Birmingham Mail

'It is appalling that in a civilised country the mass murder of 21 innocent people has not been investigated and those who committed the atrocity have been allowed to go free.
Read more: Cold case cops probe Birmingham pub bombings that killed 21 revellers nearly 40 years ago | Mail Online

Since 74 much of the attention has been on the miscarriage of justice (something i am sure will get a mention or two) the victims, survivors and families rarely get a second thought. Some of them want to change that ...
A woman whose sister died in an IRA bomb in Birmingham has appealed to Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness to help find out who was responsible.
“If Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness can assist us in ascertaining any truth towards us getting justice for Maxine it would be most gratefully received,”
Family appeals to McGuinness and Adams over IRA bomb in Birmingham - Regional - Belfast Newsletter

I am not sure the two gentlemen will be of much assistance in the families quest for answers, after all truth reconciliation and justice are a one way street...

A bereaved sister's campaign to get the Birmingham pub bombings re-investigated has been backed by Northern Ireland's First Minister, Peter Robinson.
BBC News - Birmingham pub bombs inquiry backed

between the bridges

Build it and they will come...run along child

Davy Broderick

Chris Mullins MP knows who the bombers are, as I'm sure do the Guards, and Adams and McGuinness. It is in his book Error of Judgment, published sometime in the 80s. He got permission from the RA to talk to one of the bombers, who was then living in Dublin.

Another possible bomber or planner of the bombing was a guy called Mick Murphy (I think, don't have the book in front of me). He was prominent in RA circles in Birmingham and he got a sentence for possession of explosives. He is long out now.

Great book, very sad. Many of the victims were second-generation Irish.

picador

Birmingham pub bombings: 38 years on - Birmingham Mail

birmingham pub bombings

Photographer remembers Birmingham pub bombings: "It was like the Blitz" - Birmingham Mail

Read more: Cold case cops probe Birmingham pub bombings that killed 21 revellers nearly 40 years ago | Mail Online

Since 74 much of the attention has been on the miscarriage of justice (something i am sure will get a mention or two) the victims, survivors and families rarely get a second thought. Some of them want to change that ...
Family appeals to McGuinness and Adams over IRA bomb in Birmingham - Regional - Belfast Newsletter

I am not sure the two gentlemen will be of much assistance in the families quest for answers, after all truth reconciliation and justice are a one way street...

BBC News - Birmingham pub bombs inquiry backed
The IRA carried out the Birmingham pub-bombings and said so at the time. They also repeatedly stated that the six men framed for the bombings were not their members but even so, it took the so-called British justice system 17 years to release them.

I don't ever recall Peter Robinson calling for justice for the Brimingham Six.

Levellers

“"Among the many disturbing features of that Lancaster trial is the role played by a Thomas Watt, an admitted police informer and a member of the National Front.
Mr. Watt was a significant prosecution witness, giving damning evidence against two of his former workmates, Mr. Walker and Richard McIlkenny; he was also the man who gave shelter in Birmingham to Kenneth Littlejohn, who at that time had made his way out of Dublin’s Mountjoy prison, and was by an astounding coincidence, in Birmingham the night of the bombings.”

CAIN: Events: Birmingham Six: Fr. Denis Faul and Fr. Raymond Murray. (1976) The Birmingham Framework: Six innocent men framed for the Birmingham Bombings

picador

Chris Mullins MP knows who the bombers are, as I'm sure do the Guards, and Adams and McGuinness. It is in his book Error of Judgment, published sometime in the 80s. He got permission from the RA to talk to one of the bombers, who was then living in Dublin.

Another possible bomber or planner of the bombing was a guy called Mick Murphy (I think, don't have the book in front of me). He was prominent in RA circles in Birmingham and he got a sentence for possession of explosives. He is long out now.

Great book, very sad. Many of the victims were second-generation Irish.
Those presumed responsible were named many moons ago in a TV documentary based on Mullin's research.

picador

Britain and it's loyalists deserve what they get when they throw their weight around in other peoples countries.
If this is an attempt to justify the Birmingham pub-bombings it is pretty lame.

between the bridges

The IRA carried out the Birmingham pub-bombings and said so at the time. They also repeatedly stated that the six men framed for the bombings were not their members but even so, it took the so-called British justice system 17 years to release them.

I don't ever recall Peter Robinson calling for justice for the Brimingham Six.
A FORMER IRA bomber has told one of the survivors that the Birmingham Pub Bombings were “a mistake” that would never be publicly admitted by the IRA.Birmingham Pub Bombings were a 'mistake' IRA bomber tells survivor - Birmingham Mail

Ren84

The Brum pub bombings were completely unjustified. But then that's not exactly the response Walter Bridgey was hoping for.

picador

A FORMER IRA bomber has told one of the survivors that the Birmingham Pub Bombings were “a mistake” that would never be publicly admitted by the IRA.Birmingham Pub Bombings were a 'mistake' IRA bomber tells survivor - Birmingham Mail
I stand corrected. The IRA initially denied involvement but subsequently admitted responsibility and said the Brimingham Six were NOT their members. Even so, the so-called British justice system delayed 17 years before releasing the six. Of course the Brits were well aware they got the wrong men and had a very good idea of whom the real culprits were. Indeed at least one of them actually stood in the same dock as the Brimingham Six.

picador

They don't have to be justified, I think this was a reminder that the British shouldn't rely on the IRA being overly nice in giving plenty of warning.

Imagine the London City bomb carnage from 1993 if it had been no warning during a normal weekday.

Not nice.
What you think and what actually happened are different things as you would find if you read Mullins' book.

between the bridges

The Brum pub bombings were completely unjustified. But then that's not exactly the response Walter Bridgey was hoping for.
Of course they were unjustified any rational person knows that, (and obviously a few numbnuts like yourself). However you miss the point (surprise, not) a victims family has asked the DFM of NI and a ROI TD for help in gaining Truth and Justice, do you think it will be forthcoming...

between the bridges

I stand corrected. The IRA initially denied involvement but subsequently admitted responsibility and said the Brimingham Six were NOT their members. Even so, the so-called British justice system delayed 17 years before releasing the six. Of course the Brits were well aware they got the wrong men and had a very good idea of whom the real culprits were. Indeed at least one of them actually stood in the same dock as the Brimingham Six.
My dear Pic any chance of you getting off the soap box and commenting on the victims families search for Truth and Justice...

My cousins lived in Birmingham at the time. Not a good time to be Irish in Birmingham. They left to go back to Donegal not long after. Only the Irish in England and the northern Catholics truly understand how f*cked up everything was back in the 70s and 80s (seems like a lifetime ago).

The victims included a number of Irish background, by the way. The bombings were an unforgiveable war crime.

picador

My dear Pic any chance of you getting off the soap box and commenting on the victims families search for Truth and Justice...
As pointed out, the British have known for years who was behind the Birmingham pub-bombings. Perhaps you're a bit slow on the uptake.

between the bridges

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Wasn't aware that we all had to strictly follow the thesis of Mullins.

Having known some people who were in the Ra, I say that it was a message.
Ah jasus why didn't ye say, I would have taken you so much more seriously, hand on the heart of my bottom guys like you are my true hero's, pm moi your address and I will send you one of my blue peter badges...

picador

Thanks for pointing out the obvious.

Wasn't aware that we all had to strictly follow the thesis of Mullins.

Having known some people who were in the Ra, I say that it was a message.
Well, that's great. I take it you have extensively research the matter then?

between the bridges

As pointed out, the British have known for years who was behind the Birmingham pub-bombings. Perhaps you're a bit slow on the uptake.
Sorry Pic silly of moi not to realise it would be the same old tired answer...''it's all the Brits fault''...

picador

Sorry Pic silly of moi not to realise it would be the same old tired answer...''it's all the Brits fault''...
Perhaps you are incapable of comprehension. The IRA were responsible. For many years the British have known which IRA members carried it out. Proving it is another thing.

Of course the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad who botched the original investigation and fitted up the Birmingham Six are immune from prosecution. You won't hear your dear leader whinging about this.

between the bridges

Perhaps you are incapable of comprehension. The IRA were responsible. For many years the British have known which IRA members carried it out. Proving it is another thing.

Of course the West Midlands Serious Crime Squad who botched the original investigation and fitted up the Birmingham Six are immune from prosecution. You won't hear your dear leader whinging about this.
A lot of deflection going on in your post, any comments on the victims families campaign for Truth and Justice... and FYI Robo's not my leader merely a casual acquaintance...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies