• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Bishop Edward Daly has died

President Bartlet

The death has taken place of Bishop Edward Daly, who was present in Derry's Bogside in Bloody Sunday in 1972.
He was filmed, waving a blood-stained handkerchief, as he tried to assist the mortally wounded 16-year-old Jackie Duddy.
Paratroopers had opened fire and killed 13 people. Fourteen were injured, and another died later.
From 1974 until 1993, he served as Bishop of Derry and in recent years he was chaplain at the Foyle Hospice. A native of Belleek, Co Fermanagh, he boarded at St Columb's College in Derry and completed his studies for the priesthood at the Irish College in Rome. Aged 82, he was awarded the Freedom of the City by Derry City Council last year.
He died at 9am, with family members by his bedside.

RIP - a good and true shepard of the Church and a gentleman

petaljam

A wonderful person - I knew him, or rather my father did, which is how I met him.
If it hadn't been for Bloody Sunday of course he'd never have even been in the running to be bishop - one of the very few instances where the church acceded to the wishes of ordinary people in that regard, and I don't think he was ever ambitious in that way at all, it was not something he'd have wished for.

RIP.

Mad as Fish

Despite all the dirt thrown at religion it's worth remembering that there are still many people of great humanity who are attracted to the church, any church, for they feel a calling to serve society and their fellow passengers in life. We can all sneer at the damage that adherence to a faith has done over the centuries, but much good has been accomplished to.

President Bartlet

Despite all the dirt thrown at religion it's worth remembering that there are still many people of great humanity who are attracted to the church, any church, for they feel a calling to serve society and their fellow passengers in life. We can all sneer at the damage that adherence to a faith has done over the centuries, but much good has been accomplished to.
Well said!

Emily Davison

You don't have to be a member of any church to have great humanity. The RCC or any other religion don't have a monopoly on living the good life. Maybe you're not suggesting that but it's if you are then it's insulting to those of us who are not religious as it implies we are somehow not good people.

Barna

Give this one time.
The thread is young....expect the Cork schoolteaching bigot any moment now.....

Barna

You don't have to be a member of any church to have great humanity. The RCC or any other religion don't have a monopoly on living the good life. Maybe you're not suggesting that but it's if you are then it's insulting to those of us who are not religious as it implies we are somehow not good people.
I don't think he was suggesting that somehow, but that's what you read into it.
That says a lot.

Barna

On P.ie, the loons only associate the RCC with child abuse and the shinners.
Anything else is above them, but that's what happens with navel gazers.....

Anyway, RIP to the man, he'll be remembered.

Mad as Fish

Please read it again, I am not suggesting that at all.

Emily Davison

I don't think he was suggesting that somehow, but that's what you read into it.
That says a lot.
One has not noticed you before and I'd say that's a pretty good thing. I know little of Daly so I'm making no comment on him but I hope he rests in peace.

greengoose2

If is a big word. The poster did not use it nor should you!

What he said is plain and simple but bravo to you for muddying the water!

turdsl

A great man, he has served his church and his people well. May he Rest In Peace.

Prester Jim

A very interesting comment there by Diarmaid Martin on RTE radio 1 there;
he said that Eddy Daly was religious affairs advisor for RTE for a time during the 70s after Bloody Sunday and that Fr. Daly was not happy there.
The reason was that he felt under siege there and Diarmaid Martin said that he always felt that the RTE 1 news dept should have had some competition from a separate news dept in RTE 2, this latter statement was directly linked to the discussion about Daly's integrity and the Widgery inquiry.
Was it Harris, Bird, Finucane et al who made life difficult for Fr. Daly because he had the gall to have a first hand experience of the north?

There seemed to be a lot unsaid in the interview, worth a listen when it becomes available, it started about 11.06-10 I think.
https://www.rte.ie/radio1/

HereWeGoAgain

An incredible human being. R.I.P.

He spent 54 years in Derry, arriving in May 1962 and what a difference he made.

From his speech on the acceptance of Freedom of the City in Derry, together with his colleague, James Mehaffey at the Guild Hall in Derry in May last year, he said:

When I first came to Derry, many of the streets I served in did not have a single telephone, now most people over 10 years of age have a powerful minicomputer in their hand or in their pocket or their bag. There have been many advances – better housing, better living conditions – the city looks so much better – the work that this Council has done on the Waterfront is truly stunning and worthy of mention. But, as was the situation 53 years ago, there are still unacceptable levels of unemployment. The campaign for a university worthy of this ancient city must be sustained and the road and rail connections must be improved as part of the fundamental answer to this problem
His latter years, he spent assisting the dying at the Hospice:

I greatly enjoyed the pastoral and cultural involvement of the early years of ministry here – I was shocked and terrified during the years of conflict; those years provided me with great challenges that I found daunting and, sometimes shocking; sometimes terrifying; and then, for the last 21 years, I have served in the hospice – those years spent in that remarkable place have formed an edifying and life-enhancing experience and gave me a new sense of the precious and unique nature of every human life.
Accommodating difference:

My experience here over five decades has convinced me of one thing above all others – that we can do much more together than we can do apart. Difference should be seen as enriching rather than threatening. There is a rich tapestry of cultures here – and each of them has made an important contribution to who we are and what we are and each should be cherished by us all.
and finally, in the footsteps of other greats he accepted the Award

The last two people to be given freedom of this city were John Hume and Dr Tom McGinley. I am honoured and humbled to follow in their giant footsteps.

read his entire speech here
Acceptance Speech of Bishop Edward Daly | Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference

HereWeGoAgain

From RTE Archives: Documentary ‘Darkest Days : Edward Daly Remembers’ Presented and researched by Tommie Gorman, first broadcast on 4 January 1996 available via link below

Dr Edward Daly gives describes the events and changes he has seen from his days as a young priest in the Bogside, Derry since 1962 up to the present as a retired Bishop of the city in a time of great hope for the future.

Edward Daly sought to diffuse the growing row between the British authorities and republican prisoners.

In this excerpt from the programme he remembers a visit he made to Long Kesh (the Maze Prison) accompanied by Cardinal Tomás Ó Fiaich. He describes the horrific conditions in which the prisoners were confined.
Despite the conditions Daly comments
I was amazed at the spirit of the men, at their resilience, their good humour...

Link to listen
RTÉ Archives | War and Conflict | Edward Daly Remembers The Darkest Days

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies