Bishop of Dromore resigns

President Bartlet

Was just going to ask - he says he is resigning but has the Vatican accepted it? Remember Cardinal Brady offered to resign but it was refused by the Vatican

michael-mcivor

Was just going to ask - he says he is resigning but has the Vatican accepted it? Remember Cardinal Brady offered to resign but it was refused by the Vatican
he says he will make a statement in the near future- probably to tell us that he tried his best but the Vatican said No like a good Paisley-

Cruimh

Seems a bit strange as all this happened 20 odd years ago....

Bishop McAreavy facing calls to resign - BBC News

regarding saying the mass with Finnegan, the claim was

A spokesperson for the Catholic diocese of Dromore said Bishop McAreavey had been "very surprised" at Fr Finnegan's "unannounced attendance" at the Mass.

It is understood that because Fr Finnegan's ill health made him increasingly difficult to manage, a last-minute decision was taken not to confront him beforehand.

The spokesperson said the bishop visited Fr Finnegan a few days later and remonstrated with him for attending the Mass.
Ill-health - a euphemism for alcoholism? Mental Health Issues?

While there might be some credibility in the decision to let him participate rather than risk a scene in 2000, there is no way to explain McAreavey conducting Finnegan's Funeral Mass in 2002.

Is there more to come out?

Sword of Gideon

he should not have been able to resign, he should have been removed by the church long ago. Are the ones above him now going to resign for letting him stay for so long?

Cruimh

In the two-line statement, Dr McAreavey said: "Following media reports which have disturbed and upset many people in the Diocese and further afield, I have decided to resign with immediate effect.
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0301/944458-bishop-mcareavey-resignation/

Doesn't sound as if it is conditional on the Vatican accepting?

AhNowStop

Brady was & is a disgrace,,, he never accepted any “real” culpability for his part in the smith affair ... disgusting individual and I’m certain he (& gobsh1tes like him) did the Catholic Church in Ireland an incredible amount of harm .... his ignorant & arrogant refusal to accept any blame for the incidents themselves & also his subsequent attempts to stifle the release of pertinent documents etc.. really have had an incredible impact on how modern days Catholics see the institution....

I’d be confident his “offer to resign” was for show only !!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Hmm. And twenty years later he immediately resigned...

Old Mr Grouser

Seems a bit strange as all this happened 20 odd years ago....

Bishop McAreavy facing calls to resign - BBC News ...

While there might be some credibility in the decision to let him participate rather than risk a scene in 2000, there is no way to explain McAreavey conducting Finnegan's Funeral Mass in 2002.

Is there more to come out?
Probably not, but as the Bishop had already come into the media spotlight there might hve been more attention given to what was already public knowledge; as a canon lawyer Bishop McAreavey had been involved in the cover-up of of at least one criminal cleric, and so had permitted that criminal priest to continue his atrocities.

He was one of those named and shamed by the Murphy Report, seven years ago, regarding the cover-up of Fr Jovito Walsh's crimes - Questions remain as eyes turn to two serving bishops and canon lawyers

But as a canon-lawyer working in that field for many years there's no knowing at this time, what other cover-ups he might have been involved in; either sitting as a member of the tribunal or else as the canon-lawyer assisting the accused cleric.

And in that role of a friend of the accused he could have been involved in cover-ups anywhere in Ireland.

Last edited:

Emily Davison

I'm a bit confused. He's resigning for doing a funeral mass in 2002. Even a paedophile will have a funeral mass one assumes.

ne0ica

Good riddance.

Old Mr Grouser

I'm a bit confused. He's resigning for doing a funeral mass in 2002. Even a paedophile will have a funeral mass one assumes.

And I'm confused as to why this thread is in the Northern Ireland forum.

His activities as a canon-lawyer weren't confined to Northern Ireland; the criticism of him in the Murphy Report related to a matter in the Dublin Diocese.

Cruimh

And I'm confused as to why this thread is in the Northern Ireland forum.

His activities as a canon-lawyer weren't confined to Northern Ireland; the criticism of him in the Murphy Report related to a matter in the Dublin Diocese.
I'm amazed that such a poor OP didn't end up in the Zoo.
It as an obvious "I want the OP to Break The News" post- zero input or background.

cricket

He failed badly and should have stepped down years ago but the faux outrage by Nolan on his show the other night was cringemaking.

Cruimh

Would a funeral mass by a Bishop not be seen as in some way being honoured? The Notorious Brendan Smyth had a 3:30 AM Requiem mass attended by 7 Norbertine Priests , a few locals and none of his family, and he was buried by the lights of a Hearse at 4:15 AM.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies