• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bishop Richard Williamson : SSPX.

gerhard dengler

Yesterday, Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX) decided to expel British-born Bishop Richard Williamson from it's congregation.

SSPX say that Williamson was guilty disobeying the order of his superiors.
SSPX has been in dispute with the Roman Catholic church and which say it expulsion in 1988.
Ongoing negotiations between the Vatican and SSPX broke down recently.

Williamson is regarded as having controversial views on many issues including 9/11.
Germany has charged Williamson over remarks he made about the holocaust.
Williamson opposed negotiations between the SSPX and the Vatican.

Rebel Catholic group expels Holocaust-denying bishop - Yahoo! News

TommyO'Brien

Who cares?

olli rehn

Glad to see the back of that bastard...

gerhard dengler

Glad to see the back of that bastard...
SSPX statement:

Bishop Richard Williamson, having distanced himself from the management and the government of the SSPX for several years, and refusing to show due respect and obedience to his lawful superiors, was declared excluded from the SSPX by decision of the Superior General and its Council, on October 4th, 2012. A final deadline had been granted to him to declare his submission, after which he announced the publication of an “open letter” asking the Superior General to resign.
This painful decision has become necessary by concern for the common good of the Society of Saint Pius X and its good government, according to what Archbishop Lefebvre denounced: “This is the destruction of authority. How authority can be exercised if it needs to ask all members to participate in the exercise of authority? “(Ecône, June 29, 1987)Bishop Richard Williamson, having distanced himself from the management and the government of the SSPX for several years, and refusing to show due respect and obedience to his lawful superiors, was declared excluded from the SSPX by decision of the Superior General and its Council, on October 4th, 2012. A final deadline had been granted to him to declare his submission, after which he announced the publication of an “open letter” asking the Superior General to resign.
This painful decision has become necessary by concern for the common good of the Society of Saint Pius X and its good government, according to what Archbishop Lefebvre denounced: “This is the destruction of authority. How authority can be exercised if it needs to ask all members to participate in the exercise of authority? “(Ecône, June 29, 1987)

From what I can gather Williamson's opposition to the SSPX policy of negotiation with the Vatican led to him being censured.

H

Henry Thomas

Mel Gibson is a big fan.............

They can get together, and console themselves - out on
the lunatic fringe..................

It's interesting - he was the most hardline of the three bishops holding out against reunion - I suspect Fellay will have been hoping for this for some time. I know people in Ireland who think he's wonderful, amazingly (and they're actually fairly nice people - just quite extreme in their Traditionalism). I also know Americans who know him and his acolytes personally and they think he is off his rocker - people being told how to dress in school and at Mass - and parents being phoned up to tell them how to dress their (already well-dressed) children - the extreme reluctance to have girls educated at all, and, of course, the Holocaust denial.

I wonder where he will go now? I can only imagine that the Sedevacantists will be next, given the preponderance of anti-Semitic nutjobs in their ranks...

S

simeongrimes

It looks like Rome said no deal with Williamson still on board. The flack they would have taken for reconciling with a Holocaust denying Bishop would have been seriously damaging.

So we can probably expect full communion some time in the new year.

FrankSpeaks

Put simply: this thread is about one crazier fukker being thrown out of the crazier club because the other crazier fukkers have decided they are no longer crazier and want to rejoin the club of the crazy fukkers they left in the first place.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

It's an interesting story - from an ecclesiological point of view, and because he has often been in the news...
It is also interesting as due care should be given to those made bishops by the official church or its off shoots. Williamson is well spoken but not much else. He is not particularly well versed to speak with authority on World war 2 so he should stfu on matters like that. The bigger issue is the wrong people being promoted because they are favoured. Bishops McGee, Pell and Casey (Cathy Come Home) come to mind. Casey would have been happier to be left alone in Camden. The other two were sent to Rome to study, a sure sign they played by the book.

I liek the Latin mass btw. i was recently at a High Mass at Westminster concelebrated by the British papal nuncio (see above), and a variety of Syrian, Iraqi and Nigerian bishops and priests.

gerhard dengler

It will be interesting to see what this split will derive.

I know next to nothing about the SSPX, except that they oppose the reforms of Vatican II and wish to retain
the Tridentine Rite and other customs pre-Vatican II.
It’s my understanding that SSPX maintain that they are the faithful Roman Catholic Church.

It would appear that Williamson regards the SSPX as having “gone soft” on their ideological/theological opposition to the Roman Catholic Church currently.

Presumably Williamson is representative of a point of view within the SSPX?
And if this is so, will this lead to a schism within the SSPX?