• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bishops vow to 'boycott the civil aspect of marriage if gay marriage is passed!!

USER1234

Bishops vow to boycott the civil aspect of marriage if gay marriage is passed!!

Bishops vow to 'boycott' weddings over gay marriage

IRELAND's Catholic prelates are leading the charge against gay marriage, warning that they will not perform the civil aspects of weddings if marriage is extended to gay couples.

In their 10-page submission, the Catholic bishops say any change to the definition of marriage would mean the church could no longer co-operate with the civil aspect of marriage.

"Any change to the definition of marriage would create great difficulties and in the light of this if there were two totally different definitions of marriage the church could no longer carry out the civil element," said former Bishop Christopher Jones in the submission.
Full story: Independent.ie - Bishops vow to 'boycott' weddings over gay marriagel

1) The bishops should be very curtly told to mind there own business and stay out of civil state affairs

2) The will damage themselves & the church if they do this!!

3) It will affect the thousands of weddings that take place in the church (because any weddings preformed after this ban goes into place will therefore be null and void as far as the state goes until the civil aspect of marriage are completed)

Last edited:

Bill

Do you have to pay them to get married in a church?

pragmaticapproach

Full story: Independent.ie - Bishops vow to 'boycott' weddings over gay marriagel

1) The bishops should be very curtly told to mind there own business and stay out of civil state affairs

3) It will affect the thousands of weddings that take place in the church (because any weddings preformed after this ban goes into place will therefore be null and void as far as the state goes until the civil aspect of marriage are completed)
Great news, Religious clergy should not officiate over the civil aspects of marriage. Just bring in a one size fits all civil partnership contract thats dealt with separately from the religious ceremony .

Last edited:

USER1234

Do you have to pay them to get married in a church?
No they mean for a wedding to be legally recognized in Ireland, it must be solemnized by one of the 5,600 people who are on the Register of Solemnizers, however around 4,300 of these are Catholic priests who would refuse to do so, so under Irish law no marriage would have taken place!!!

Mercurial

There already are different definitions of marriage. That's why divorced people can get civill but not religious marriages in some cases for example.

Sync

"If you don't do what we want we'll reduce the value of our product in retaliation!" isn't a winning argument boys.

EvotingMachine0197

Presumably the civil aspects will be dealt with by some other method, a peace commissioner or someone. I don't see any major issue here.

USER1234

Great news, Religious clergy should not officiate over the civil aspects of marriage. Just bring in a one size fits all civil partnership contract thats dealt with seperately from the religious ceremony .
No because marriage will always be seen as the superior institution and civil partnership less than it!!!

Bill

No they mean for a wedding to be legally recognised in Ireland, it must be solemnised by one of the 5,600 people who are on the Register of Solemnisers but around 4,300 of these are Catholic priests, who would refuse to do so, so under Irish law no marriage would have taken place!!!
Yes I know that I'm asking do you have to pay the church a fee for celebrating your wedding, regardless of the signing of the registry. I been to church weddings where the couple had previously been married.

White Horse

It seems like a natural course of action.

If the civil authorities change marriage to such an extent, they are creating a separate institution but maintaining the same name.

Let the two be separate.

Isn't this what secularists want?

Separation of Church and State.

seabhcan

It seems like a natural course of action.

If the civil authorities change marriage to such an extent, they are creating a separate institution but maintaining the same name.

Let the two be separate.

Isn't this what secularists want?

Separation of Church and State.
It certainly wont bother me anyway. Seems a little childish on their part.

USER1234

Yes I know that I'm asking do you have to pay the church a fee for celebrating your wedding, regardless of the signing of the registry. I been to church weddings where the couple had previously been married.
I dont know for sure but i think there is some gratuity given!!!

pragmaticapproach

No because marriage will always be seen as the superior institution and civil partnership less than it!!!
Why do you need the state to be so heavily involved? people could still have a church wedding or whatever, then deal with the legal aspects such as inheritance etc by signing a civil contract.

darkhorse

They are quite right.
The Catholic Church invented marriage and now it has been stolen from them, twisted in its meaning and they are being forced to take it back in its new liberal form.
They should never have co-operated with the State's version of marriage after divorce was allowed.

Spanner Island

It's amazing really... that an institution that is reputed to be full of gay members is so obviously self loathing...

Look I've no problem with the church refusing to participate in or accept gay marriage... although I do find it a bit puzzling...

But it really is up to them and if people don't like their rules, then people should have the guts to move on...