Bitcoin currency

WellNow

bitcoin exchanges are popping up like daisys all over the world this summer. This peer-to-peer currency looks really exciting. The basis of the currency is on scarce resources - computer processing power. But the beauty is that it isn't controlled by any government who can be influenced by the big banks. Also, you can't just print money out of thin air (a la Federal Reserve) because you have to generate the currency using processing power.

Anyway, there are plenty of enthusiasts building mini supercomputers in their bedrooms mining for bitcoins 24/7. One thing's for sure, there's a market servicing these nerds, but is there a market for trading in bitcoins? I don't know, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone on p.ie is into bitcoins.

Then again, perhaps this is just another fad - a bit like rollerblades in the 1990s.

Socratus O' Pericles

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
bitcoin exchanges are popping up like daisys all over the world this summer. This peer-to-peer currency looks really exciting. The basis of the currency is on scarce resources - computer processing power. But the beauty is that it isn't controlled by any government who can be influenced by the big banks. Also, you can't just print money out of thin air (a la Federal Reserve) because you have to generate the currency using processing power.

Anyway, there are plenty of enthusiasts building mini supercomputers in their bedrooms mining for bitcoins 24/7. One thing's for sure, there's a market servicing these nerds, but is there a market for trading in bitcoins? I don't know, but I'd be interested in hearing if anyone on p.ie is into bitcoins.

Then again, perhaps this is just another fad - a bit like rollerblades in the 1990s.
A currency is a reliable method of transmitting value across time and space. Bitcoin isn't.

Bitcoin is Dutch tulips. As with all zero-sum speculation, if you are talking about it before you 'invest', you are mark, not the smart.

Trainwreck

You think Bitcoin isn't created out of thin air? How cute.

You also think we haven't seen monetary regimes ostensible identical to Bitcoin before? That's double cute.

Socratus O' Pericles

A currency is a reliable method of transmitting value across time and space. Bitcoin isn't.

Bitcoin is Dutch tulips. As with all zero-sum speculation, if you are talking about it before you 'invest', you are mark, not the smart.
But can I personally make a few bob mining...........take up the startup guys on their "free" offer.petunia

Instead of shíteing on outta me about squirrels, I could be making a little pocket change-risk free.

https://cryptonomos.com/wtt?r=16keFN...eeks,bit_china,

Sister Mercedes

On 22 May 2010, Laszlo Hanyecz made the first real-world transaction by buying two pizzas in Jacksonville, Florida for 10,000 BTC.
Today that would be $19.7 million for two pizzas.

Looks Tulip to me ....

benroe

But can I personally make a few bob mining...........take up the startup guys on their "free" offer.petunia

Instead of shíteing on outta me about squirrels, I could be making a little pocket change-risk free.

https://cryptonomos.com/wtt?r=16keFN...eeks,bit_china,
The trouble with bit coin mining is that it takes a lot of time and electricity, it was for a long time only profitable in places with cheap power, the advances in processing power and the ever rising value of bit coins could make it profitable here, don't know for sure.

ergo2

Careful now.

Once the idea reaches the front page of P.ie it is too late to board this train

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

Socratus O' Pericles

See no one has a spirit of adventure, except maybe varadKoin bot, what about if you got a couple of old CPUs and plugged 'em in in a corner of the office and let them off, in the same spirit with which people once made home brew lager? Could be fun and better than posting shoite about squirrels which I do too much of anyhow.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

See no one has a spirit of adventure, except maybe varadKoin bot, what about if you got a couple of old CPUs and plugged 'em in in a corner of the office and let them off, in the same spirit with which people once made home brew lager? Could be fun and better than posting shoite about squirrels which I do too much of anyhow.
It's easy to mine VaradKoin I hear, but if you really want easy profits that FFDevCoin is where the actions at. You and all your dev mates can collect FFDevCoin through a unique mining process called back scratching based on a proof of croney validation system. It's been a few years since it last boomed, but I hear they're planning a comeback any day now.

Now say all that with a straight face! :lol:

Socratus O' Pericles

It's easy to mine VaradKoin I hear, but if you really want easy profits that FFDevCoin is where the actions at. You and all your dev mates can collect FFDevCoin through a unique mining process called back scratching based on a proof of croney validation system. It's been a few years since it last boomed, but I hear they're planning a comeback any day now.

Now say all that with a straight face! :lol:

The brown envelopes were always kept in the bottom drawer for just such an eventuality, will the bitcoins be too bulky for them?

It's hard to run 3 homes on a politican's wage after all.

Deadlock

The brown envelopes were always kept in the bottom drawer for just such an eventuality, will the bitcoins be too bulky for them?

It's hard to run 3 homes on a politican's wage after all.
... said Pee to the nation! Truly RTEs finest hour, and no small service from Gay Byrne.

'Twas as though the heavy drapes covering our eyes were sundered and the cold light of day first flooded in!

Socratus O' Pericles

The code and rules are open source and the "ledger2 is public..............better than the Central Bank in some ways?

amist4

The code and rules are open source and the "ledger2 is public..............better than the Central Bank in some ways?
Have you ever marked your ball on the green with bitcoin?

Not as easy as it seems.

Socratus O' Pericles

Anyhow I got one of those "offers" one gets by email:

* This code can only be used on Marvin.ie. EXCLUDES cash orders. Applies to Visa, Mastercard, PayPal & Bitcoin orders only. Open to both existing and new customers. Valid until 27/08/2017 only!
You can buy pizza with bitcoin?:shock:

Bitcoin prices are on the rise again hitting a near-record value, with the digital currency currently trading at $4,414.31.

The volatile cryptocurrency has recovered after dipping back below $4,000, a seven-day low, earlier this week and is edging closer to a record price.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/25/bitcoin-price-rises-near-record-value-long-will-last/

Last edited:

Watcher2

Sooooo, your bitcoin is mined by a computer. Is it made from "bitore" miles underground or something?:lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies