Bjork leads protest against Iceland energy sale

SirCharles

Icelandic singer Bjork, known for her political activism, urged parliament Monday to review the planned sale of a local geothermal energy company, saying the deal could harm Iceland's interests.

Björk steps up fight against vulturish investors

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USDlMrTn4I]YouTube - Björk speaks out against controversial sale in Icelandic energy sector[/ame]

Where are our artists? U2, Wolfe Tones et al. You could do something, for example, against the sellout of Irish gas resources in Mayo (=> Shell to Sea).

'truthforsooth' just opened a thread here to support a petition to Suspend the work on the Corrib Gas Project Pending a Full Investigation.

We need solidarity in this country.

Goldencircle

Jedward and Christy from Aslan Vs. Shell, I can see it all now.
Why didn't we think of this before.

Seriously though fair play to Björk.

jackryan

Where was she when Icelandic interests were buying up half of the world?

CookieMonster

In all seriousness, if you want the country rid of Shell you could do worse than withdraw the troop of troublemaking hippies and send in Jedward and Christie from Aslan.

They could then do a Christmas duet about their struggle. Save us from having West Life grining at us all through the festive season... again.

SirCharles

In all seriousness, if you want the country rid of Shell you could do worse than withdraw the troop of troublemaking hippies and send in Jedward and Christie from Aslan.

They could then do a Christmas duet about their struggle. Save us from having West Life grining at us all through the festive season... again.
At least these "troublemaking hippies" do something.

What have you done against the sellout of Irish resources there?

Shell et al don't pay any loyalties to the country for harvesting the gas. Therefore they put Irish citizens under threat in Mayo.

CarnivalOfAction

+1

It's not a 1 off for her. From: Björk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Björk has also taken an interest in environmental issues in her native country. In 2004 Björk took part in the "Hætta" concert in Reykjavík, organised in protest against the building of Alcoa aluminium smelters in the country, which would make Iceland the biggest smelter in Europe. She founded the organization "Náttúra" which aims to promote Icelandic nature and grassroots industries. On October 28, 2008 Björk wrote an article for The Times discussing the state of the Icelandic economy, and her thoughts on the proposed use of natural resources to get the country out of debt. Björk, in collaboration with Audur Capital, set up a venture capital fund titled "BJÖRK" to support the creation of sustainable industries in Iceland. She has written the foreword to the English translation of the Iceland bestseller by Andri Snaer Magnason entitled "Dreamland." On May 21, 2010 Björk wrote an open letter in the newspaper Reykjavík Grapevine, calling on the Icelandic government to "do everything in its power to revoke the contracts with Magma Energy", the Canadian company who now has complete ownership of Icelandic geothermal company HS Orka."

In fairness, we have had Christy Hoor, Moving Hearts, Mick Hanley, Damien Dempsey, Sister Sinéad; not to mention Francie Brolly!

SirCharles

Yes, cause trouble and destroy and public support for the issue. Well done hippies.
Can you get a wee more clear?
And can you answer my question please?
Here again: What have you done against the sellout of Irish resources there?

SirCharles

Why do we only show solidarity when it is against the Britons or when we are abroad? Meanwhile at home we're not able to stop insane politics or fight corruption.

Interista

Where was she when Icelandic interests were buying up half of the world?
I'm not sure the affairs of private businessmen are any of Bjork's business, but she has been protesting against the exploitation of Icleand's aluminium resources, and the attendant despoilment of the countyr's national environment, for years now.

LeDroit

I'm not sure the affairs of private businessmen are any of Bjork's business, but she has been protesting against the exploitation of Icleand's aluminium resources, and the attendant despoilment of the countyr's national environment, for years now.
I suppose when you're a millionaire pop star with feck all else to do, bored with life and material surplus and need the attention of others, then this shyte makes you feel better. El- e- va- tion!!

SirCharles

I suppose when you're a millionaire pop star with feck all else to do, bored with life and material surplus and need the attention of others, then this shyte makes you feel better. El- e- va- tion!!
I suppose Bjork is anything but "bored with life". Maybe you are, posting such ... :roll:

LeDroit

I suppose Bjork is anything but "bored with life". Maybe you are, posting such ... :roll:
Oh that hurts just so much Sire.

Whatever. El e va tion! :)

jackryan

I wonder do we have a new album to promote!! by the way is the same lady who beat the ********************e out of a reporter at an airport?

CookieMonster

Ah leave Bjork alone, she's great.

Look, she's wearing a swan.... A SWAN!

SirCharles

I think it's very honourable of Bjork to invest some of her time and her popularity for the good of the people in her country. Compare to some posters in this forum who seemingly are only after sabotaging the good work of other people and contributing nothing but bad polemics.

jackryan

I think it's very honourable of Bjork to invest some of her time and her popularity for the good of the people in her country. Compare to some posters in this forum who seemingly are only after sabotaging the good work of other people and contributing nothing but bad polemics.
ever hear of jumping on a band wagon?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies