• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Black economy will rocket post budget. Do you blame them?

asset test

As if tax receipts were not bad enough. I think there will be a huge increase in cash only, no VAT etc, transactions. I know it was always there, but surely it will increase big time?

Do you support this way of business?

I personally am not happy about this, primarily because I cannot channel any of my income into a tax free element like providers in the black.

Mind you, I would say that recipients might be happy to get a job done cheaper.

It all detracts from the pain we have to undergo.

So.... to curtail it, why not make the recipients (if caught) also be responsible for procuring such services..

or... give say up to €1000 tax credit for jobs done by those who are legit.

Of course the credit will only affect those still paying tax!

Still, I do not like the black. Everyone should contribute now.

bormotello

Still, I do not like the black. Everyone should contribute now.
Why?
Government will waste money anyway
Why people couldn't save on black market money which government took from them due excessive populism in previous years?

asset test

Why?
Government will waste money anyway
Why people couldn't save on black market money which government took from them due excessive populism in previous years?
So what do you say to someone who is not in a position to benefit from tax free earnings then? Do you admire someone who is creaming it like that while others pay through the nose in their taxes?

I don't blame them for having to do it, but I don't agree with it, because it is not helping matters in the general scheme of things.

louis bernard

The black economy balloons in banjaxed economies like Irelands. There will be an enormous rise in cash in hand jobs from now on.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I will reduce the amount of tax I pay in anyway I can. I am doing my patriotic duty by not giving cash to our bankrupt elite to squander.

I have'nt bought irish ciggies since May of this year for example. If people can avoid paying any taxes, good look to them.

Even if we didnt have the bailout to content with, the cost of the PS is far too high, they'll have to learn to survive on a lot less, sadly though the top half will keep their high salaries and just encourage job cuts for the low paid PS worker.

robut

"Do you support this way of business?"

NO, I can't!

Not alone will it drop tax receipts but it will also have the large knock on of putting small businesses like me OUT OF BUSINESS ( as if it were not bad enough ) because I will not be able to compete with the CASH Price. The affect of this will be further degrade of tax revenue. Although I will not be a burden ... being self employed means ZERO dole!

This has been coming for a while. I have been asked by other businesses and individuals over last few months "Will I do xyz for Cash". NO was my answer!

This is where the AH THATS DIFFERENT brigade will start appearing. The house holders, the joe / mary on the street.

For the cash economy to balloon it takes two to tango. Problem is joe and mary citizens usual answer when asked why THEY take part in things like the cash economy ( besides cheaper ) is normally .. yes you guessed .. AH SHUR THATS DIFFERENT where they are concerned.

They are faultless of course because its someone else who accepted to do the cash job even if they themselves asked for a cash job in the first place!

Its no longer joe and mary citizens fault or responsibility because the guy doing the job accepted there request. Thats the thinking of the AH SHUR THATS DIFFERENT brigade!

Robut

eoghanacht

In light of the figures we've seen today it's every man for himself i'm afraid.

neutral_lurker

Is this a joke post?

The black economy is huge

Go on to Gumtree ring up any of the ads most will do it cash in hand - majority are signing on

By most I mean 99%

Don't take my word for it - check yourself.

The Volunteer

Some black martket, like petrol etc, is good for the people and keeps the money in the community instead of big corporations.

asset test

Is this a joke post?

The black economy is huge

Go on to Gumtree ring up any of the ads most will do it cash in hand - majority are signing on

By most I mean 99%

Don't take my word for it - check yourself.
I did say in my OP that this cash stuff was always there. Everyone knows that. What I questioned was the potential for it to increase big time. Some legitimate businesses who always give a proper invoice + VAT may be forced to go into this way of business. If they don't, businesses like robut's above will suffer. So if you are legit, you get screwed, if you are not, well... not much happens to you but society suffers overall.

That is not good for anyone. But I agree, it will only escalate, every one for themselves. Easy for those who can, but those on fixed incomes i.e. PAYE cannot supplement their incomes like that either.

The OD

The black economy balloons in banjaxed economies like Irelands. There will be an enormous rise in cash in hand jobs from now on.
Are you offering?

:shock2:

Machdaddy

I will reduce the amount of tax I pay in anyway I can. I am doing my patriotic duty by not giving cash to our bankrupt elite to squander.

I have'nt bought irish ciggies since May of this year for example. If people can avoid paying any taxes, good look to them.

Even if we didnt have the bailout to content with, the cost of the PS is far too high, they'll have to learn to survive on a lot less, sadly though the top half will keep their high salaries and just encourage job cuts for the low paid PS worker.
Spot on.Croke Park deal was a sham because greater efficiencies mean a lot less need for top heavy senior civil servant ranks.The turkeys voted for christmas but were never gonna show up for dinner.

Suasdaguna

this is deja vu of the mid 70's.....ever remember what richie ryan did to the econom?y....he imposed a wealth tax that was a huge umbrella on the populas.......the black economy florished and this is what is and going to happen more so post budget. The govt have their testicles in a nut cruncher compliments of europe......the govt dont do what europe say and they squeeze that nuts cruncher. The scenario is a disaster.

hammer

In light of the figures we've seen today it's every man for himself i'm afraid.
Man, woman & child. Every family for itself.

The black economy is currently worth €22 billion.
The DOF as they have no clue as to how it works believe that this only costs the exchequer €4.5 billion in lost taxes.

God help them

maxthedog

Man, woman & child. Every family for itself.

The black economy is currently worth €22 billion.
The DOF as they have no clue as to how it works believe that this only costs the exchequer €4.5 billion in lost taxes.

God help them
is it time to propose a tax amnesty?

wassupdude

"Do you support this way of business?"

NO, I can't!

your integrety is admirable, if everyone felt the same we wouldn't be up to our oxters in Debt!

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em; you'll be a long time waiting for them to join you, alas.

gatsbygirl20

There is a lack of consistency in saying "It's every man for himself. Can you blame people for dodging tax? Sure aren't they all at it?" while at the same time urging "patriotism" on certain sections of the populace. If it is indeed "every man for himself", then we cannot be "all in this together", nor can we trot out cliches like "we all have to share the pain".

Dodging tax is wrong, whoever engages in it. It places a disproportionate burden on honest, compliant tax payers. In the 1980s when taxes were very high, the few of us left paying them were screwed to the wall. Tax amnesties were then given to the criminals who had dodged. This, among other things created the corrupt mood music for the Celtic Tiger years, and taught some people that illegal activity would have no consequences.

By all means dodge tax. But quit the moralising about others' "greed" and "corruption". You can't have it both ways

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies