Blagojevich not guilty on most counts

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
I am suprised, I really am. I was wrong about the involvement of Blagojevich in fraud, slice humble pie for me. Of all the counts he was only found guilty of one, and that was for lying to the FBI - post the false allegations against him. On that count they got him, but still its a low blow that took down an ally of Obama and has none the less neutralised him by finding him guilty of a crime that resulted from the slew of false allegations against him.

On the other hand Sarah Palin was subjected to the same sort of sickening smear campaign by the Democrats, so probably a case of pot and kettle on this one.

Ulster-Lad

The fact of the matter is that he was found guilty on just the one count.There was an 11 to 1 ratio to convict him on on the other counts against him. The one hold out juror is what has resulted in a mistrial. He is to be tried again on the allegations.

Bad timing for the Democrats as the retrial will coincide with the mid term elections in November and the result will be loads of bad press for the Democrats.

NeilW

He was not found "not guilt" on *any* count as far as I can see. How wrong does a thread title have to be before it is changed?

owedtojoy

Doesn't this mean a retrial, not that he is "not guilty"?

Bit premature to give the guy a clean bill of health.

Now that the Feds have him on one count, it may be leverage to force a plea bargain over the others. I've watched Law and Order too.

Analyzer

Well - this is excellent news. This confirms that Chicago politics is not rotten with corruption and graft. And therefore we can expect less investigative analysis of the behaviour of Illinois politics, and indeed politics in Mass., NJ, Florida (the Republican Illinois), Las Vegas, etc....

What an excellent decision by the judges to prevent the public getting outraged and demanding more accountability in the political representatives.

What next I wonder ? a payrise for the judiciary maybe ?

sinsin

A glorious vindication.

The jury was split 11-1 in favour of convicting Mr. Blagojevich on the charge of selling the Senate seat vacated by President Barack Obama.

Are you all retarded?

davidcameron

I am suprised, I really am. I was wrong about the involvement of Blagojevich in fraud, slice humble pie for me. Of all the counts he was only found guilty of one, and that was for lying to the FBI - post the false allegations against him. On that count they got him, but still its a low blow that took down an ally of Obama and has none the less neutralised him by finding him guilty of a crime that resulted from the slew of false allegations against him.
If Blago did not commit any of the crimes he was accused of, why did he lie to the FBI? If he wanted to avoid incrimination, he did not have to lie. Why did he not invoke the Fifth Amendment? How about the following article:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/x716054539/Blagojevich-not-crazy-experts-say
This article says that he withheld funding from a children's hospital until he got a campaign contribution from it.

Last edited:

davidcameron

What did the voters expect from Blago? After all, he has something in common with Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic. He's an ethnic Serb crook.

gijoe

Guilty on 17 of 20 counts including trying to sell Obama's Senate seat. Going inside until he comes out in a box I reckon, unless Obama pardons him.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Fantastic news, and a great win for Illinois.

TiredOfBeingTired

What did the voters expect from Blago? After all, he has something in common with Ratko Mladic and Radovan Karadzic. He's an ethnic Serb crook.
If he was an ethnic Irish crook he would have a €100,000+ pension for the rest of his life instead.
The worst he would have to worry out is loss of phone and secretarial expenses.

CptSternn

14 years in Club Fed. First off, he will be doing easy time in a special federal prison for white collar criminals. Low security to the point they have have daily visitors and get day passes out if they need them.

Also, thanks to the over burdened system there most of the low security prisons have a policy which states a day in with good behaviour is worth day out, meaning for every one day you do and don't get in trouble is worth two. That drops his time down to seven years immediately. Top that off with the fact he is 54 and will start to encounter health problems in the next five years and I bet they will file for early release in 2017 or so, citing some health issues and again due to budget cuts they will get it. It's cheaper to send sick prisoners home than it is to pay for their treatment. Unless they are some hardened criminal who they fear will commit the same crime again, the parole system will usually send them on their way.

I say he will be a free man again around 2017.

Thats when he will do his book deal, be on more crappy reality TV, and who knows? Maybe like another famous American politician who was arrested and convicted on corruption charges he will get his own TV show.

I mean, everyone loves Jerry Springer don't they?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies