Blarney Stone gets the thumbs down

Interista

Aside from the hygience aspect - pretty vile in itself - the blarney Stone always struck me as a completely rubbish place to visit. No wonder visitor numbers are down. Can't see why anyone other than the stereotypical elderly Yank in plaid trousers would pay money to kiss a stone where thousands of mouths have been already.

Sync

Can't see why anyone other than the stereotypical elderly Yank in plaid trousers would pay money to kiss a stone where thousands of mouths have been already.
I heard that's why less people are going to watch Lindsay Lohan movies.

Verhofstadt

Website
I'm amazed that over 300,000 still visit it every year...

rubensni

It's disgusting. Even if they made a half arsed attempt to wash it between customers it would be a better experience.

EvotingMachine0197

The Stone of Eloquence has attracted controversy in the past, with a newspaper reports suggesting it was a hotbed for the spread of disease and further accusations last year that the stone, implanted in the walls of the 15th-century castle, was not authentic.
Not an authentic what ? Every stone is authentic isn't it ? Unless it's a fake stone ..

Or do they mean that kissing the stone may not really convey any special verbal powers ? :rolleyes:

Gadfly

All publicity is good publicity - another coup for a genuine (and underestimated) tourism success story.
Starting with a passibly intact castle keep and the fact that the placename had passed into the English language, somehow this became a leading destination for US tourism. 300,000 visitors a year - even after a steep decline? How many attractions would want a problem like that?
When did the Blarney Stone become the default name for Irish pubs in the States? How many are there now? Much of this probably had nothing to do with deliberate tourism promotion - but some of it did. Anyone care to delve into this from the perpective of cultural history or business history? Would make an interesting dissertation.
It is easy to gripe at the (steep) entry price, and sad for the region to see the fall in visitor numbers. But the owners and promoters of Blarney have been hugely successful in putting the place on the map. We could do with more of this kind of success, now more than ever.

CookieMonster

Not a patch on The Holy Stone of Clonrichert.

Urmentor

Twitter
@red7778
Yes good post that. That reviewer probably had a bad hair day or something. And if there any health risks to kissing stone we would have found out by now

Lord Muck Savage

A former English workmate inquired of me "do you Irish kiss the stone as well?" to which I replied "not at all, it's only gullible American tourists that do so, us Irish usually just piss on it".

ruserious

Apparently a man has died after falling from a height in Blarney Castle..

blokesbloke

Well I fully plan to give it a smooch one day.

Shure I'll just take along a wee packet of antibacterial wipes and give it a rub down first!

Have people no initiative anymore?

blokesbloke

A former English workmate inquired of me "do you Irish kiss the stone as well?" to which I replied "not at all, it's only gullible American tourists that do so, us Irish usually just piss on it".
I was advised some time ago on a Canadian forum that the locals pissed on the Blarney Stone.

Mind you that particular Canadian had lived in Ireland for a while and absolutely detested it. I forget why. Something to do with not liking Barry's tea I think, though presumably there was more to it than that.

Herr Rommel

Well I fully plan to give it a smooch one day.

Shure I'll just take along a wee packet of antibacterial wipes and give it a rub down first!

Have people no initiative anymore?
The locals do not take kindly to common sense.

SideysGhost

Mind you that particular Canadian had lived in Ireland for a while and absolutely detested it. I forget why. Something to do with not liking Barry's tea I think, though presumably there was more to it than that.
Guy is clearly some sort of deranged deviant :( I have Pakeha, Maori, British and even a Hong Kong Chinese friend who specifically pop round to my gaff cos they can be guaranteed a nice cup of Barry's!

blokesbloke

Guy is clearly some sort of deranged deviant :( I have Pakeha, Maori, British and even a Hong Kong Chinese friend who specifically pop round to my gaff cos they can be guaranteed a nice cup of Barry's!
I've never actually tried it.

If I popped round, would you give me one?

New Threads

Most Replies