• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Patslatt1

Head of the EU commission Ursula von der Leyen presumably is behind the commission's request that Ireland nominate a male and a female candidate for the vacant EU commissioner job triggered by the departure of commissioner Phil Hogan. This request may seem normal in ultraliberal EU circles. But it shows blatant feminist bias since few people possess the necessary skills to fill the critically important international trade commissioner job,dictating that the nomination should go the the single best candidate male or female. The international trade commissioner needs rare, steely negotiationg skills including excellent interpersonal relationship skills and a grasp of extremely complicated trade regulations.

Only if there is cause to suspect Irish politicians were biased againt promoting females could the commission's request be considered unbiased.The increasing promotion of women in the past generation in the Irish civil service suggests otherwise.

Biased feminism that promotes equality of outcomes instead of equality of opportunity may undermine the latter as it threatens to invite a male backlash against feminism in general.

Ireniall

Head of the EU commission Ursula von der Leyen presumably is behind the comthe mission's request that Ireland nominate a male and a female candidate for the vacant EU commissioner job triggered by the departure of commissioner Phil Hogan. This request may seem normal in ultraliberal EU circles. But it shows blatant feminist bias since few people possess the necessary skills to fill the critically important international trade commissioner job,dictating that the nomination should go the the single best candidate male or female. The international trade commissioner needs rare, steely negotiationg skills including excellent interpersonal relationship skills and a grasp of extremely complicated trade regulations.

Only if there is cause to suspect Irish politicians were biased againt promoting females could the commission's request be considered unbiased.The increasing promotion of women in the past generation in the Irish civil service suggests otherwise.

Biased feminism that promotes equality of outcomes instead of equality of opportunity may undermine the latter as it threatens to invite a male backlash against feminism in general.
When they ask for a male and female candidate what they really want is a female candidate and it bodes ill for Irish retention of the trade portfolio as if vdL was intent on the new Irish commissioner retaining it she would surely not have limited the field like that. Now they could get around this problem by nominating a strong male candidate with a weak female but it's not like we're all not going to know and I could hardly imagine the strong candidate, whatever gender , would leave their present job in order to take a punt on getting a new job. They will want to know in advance.

So it's hard to make out what the government are at making this announcement of compliance. Perhaps they will offer inducements to a male fall guy and nominate a good candidate like McGuinness or maybe Fitzgerald and forget about retaining the trade job. In fact it might well be that they've been told that Coveney or Varadkar wouldn't retain it either which frees them from having to take it into consideration. So there's a smell of gamesmanship here. Why not just nominate the female candidate and be-damned

Uganda

@ Ireniall, post #2 above:

Knock yourself out.

The reality is that women political leaders do it better: Frau Merkel and Ms Sturgeon, Christine Legarde, Mairead McGuinness, Helle Thorning-Schmidt ... (add names as you will). You don't have to agree with any of them. But, by heck, they terrify me.
you omitted jo Swinson, Theresa May, Arlene foster, Michelle O’Neill in your list of women who do it better

MsDaisyC

When they ask for a male and female candidate what they really want is a female candidate and it bodes ill for Irish retention of the trade portfolio as if vdL was intent on the new Irish commissioner retaining it she would surely not have limited the field like that. Now they could get around this problem by nominating a strong male candidate with a weak female but it's not like we're all not going to know and I could hardly imagine the strong candidate, whatever gender , would leave their present job in order to take a punt on getting a new job. They will want to know in advance.

So it's hard to make out what the government are at making this announcement of compliance. Perhaps they will offer inducements to a male fall guy and nominate a good candidate like McGuinness or maybe Fitzgerald and forget about retaining the trade job. In fact it might well be that they've been told that Coveney or Varadkar wouldn't retain it either which frees them from having to take it into consideration. So there's a smell of gamesmanship here. Why not just nominate the female candidate and be-damned
What's so limiting by only asking for one female candidate?

Patslatt1

you omitted jo Swinson, Theresa May, Arlene foster, Michelle O’Neill in your list of women who do it better
Foster has a skeleton in the closet on grants for wood chips. In an insult to democracy,O'Neill presumably agreed to sending a Sinn Fein delegation to Venezuela to celebrate the stolen election that many democracies don't recognise.

MsDaisyC

Ability,not gender, should determine the nomination of a single candidate. As a small country, Ireland has a limited talent pool of great leaders.
Exactly, so why bother with a token man?

Hewson

Exactly, so why bother with a token man?

"Look at her moving' there. Hasn't Mary got a lovely bottom?"

"Careful now, Ted. We don't want to upset the girruls!"

"Oh, sorry. Right y'are. Of course, all the girls have lovely bottoms . . . "

MsDaisyC

"Look at her moving' there. Hasn't Mary got a lovely bottom?"

"Careful now, Ted. We don't want to upset the girruls!"

"Oh, sorry. Right y'are. Of course, all the girls have lovely bottoms . . . "
And sexy as fock brains to go with them.

Ireniall

What's so limiting by only asking for one female candidate?
Commissioners who would be fit to slot into Hogans position do not grow on trees in any country much less a very small one so removing half the population is obviously tearing the a**e out of it. Even Coveney or Varadkar would not easily do it and it's not that I think they are necessarily better than others but they have the seniority. Hogan himself would not have had the status either had it been someone else. McEntee is young and a possible future Taoiseach, McGuinneas is the best female candidate but has not served in government. Fitzgerald is not quite there either.

Personally I think the government have made an unholy mess of this whole thing and should have been circling the wagons for Hogan because we were always going to lose the Trade portfolio if he went. It now seems that they have only just realised this and are scrambling to ensure that the new Commissioner gets more than a head bottle washer role -meanwhile the whole of Europe looks on while we f**k around. They should just put it behind them now and suck it up. I'm wondering if FF , having had to ship two losses, unwisely insisted that it was FGs turn with Hogan

Patslatt1

Commissioners who would be fit to slot into Hogans position do not grow on trees in any country much less a very small one so removing half the population is obviously tearing the a**e out of it. Even Coveney or Varadkar would not easily do it and it's not that I think they are necessarily better than others but they have the seniority. Hogan himself would not have had the status either had it been someone else. McEntee is young and a possible future Taoiseach, McGuinneas is the best female candidate but has not served in government. Fitzgerald is not quite there either.

Personally I think the government have made an unholy mess of this whole thing and should have been circling the wagons for Hogan because we were always going to lose the Trade portfolio if he went. It now seems that they have only just realised this and are scrambling to ensure that the new Commissioner gets more than a head bottle washer role -meanwhile the whole of Europe looks on while we f**k around. They should just put it behind them now and suck it up. I'm wondering if FF , having had to ship two losses, unwisely insisted that it was FGs turn with Hogan
There was too much moralising over Hogan. A stern rebuke short of calling for his resignation would be sufficient. Now it looks like we have lost the most important commisssioner post.

Ireniall

Last edited:
Last edited:
@ Ireniall, post #2 above:

Knock yourself out.

The reality is that women political leaders do it better: Frau Merkel and Ms Sturgeon, Christine Legarde, Mairead McGuinness, Helle Thorning-Schmidt ... (add names as you will). You don't have to agree with any of them. But, by heck, they terrify me.
Lol- I doubt anything terrifies you RF. The best of luck to them. The females are also more honest I think. I have no agenda against trying to persuade them to get into politics. My point was that when you are asking for two candidates with a view to gender equality it obviously means that the gender who have not traditionally had it will be favoured. The best of luck to her but we dont have a female Phil Hogan -we dont have another male Hogan in fact. I would have no fear of the females being suggested though I'm not a fan of Fitzgerald. My sole focus was the retention of the Trade portfolio and I think that if vdL had been thinking of the new member for the Trade job she would not have thrown that in. She'd have demanded the best possible candidate that other Europeans might have actually heard of and get them in there as fast as possible. The government were bloody amateur in allowing this to happen though Hogan himself should be bate around the yard with a shovel as well.

Ireniall

There was too much moralising over Hogan. A stern rebuke short of calling for his resignation would be sufficient. Now it looks like we have lost the most important commisssioner post.
Yes indeed. This is not real corruption and there are people sitting in the Dail who should be in prison. Are we going to sack nurses(God bless them) for using their travel passes for personal use?-of course not. It's out of all order.

Zacbestbaby

What? Males have dominated Irish politics for long enough and indeed Ursula seems determined to even up the playing field. Her request seems to have left the three musketeers bamboozled.....the three leaders seem to have gone down a rabbit hole.... Ursula needs those two names sooner rather than later guys...

alaimacerc

Personally I think the government have made an unholy mess of this whole thing and should have been circling the wagons for Hogan because we were always going to lose the Trade portfolio if he went.
You seem all over on this one. Oh noes, we'll lose the portfolio if we send a Weak and Feeble Woman(TM)! Wait, maybe there's insidious backroom signals we will anyway! Actually, it's obvious all alo-- pick out outraged theory and stick with it for maybe 30m or so!

That argument was made: explicitly, in terms. And it was lost. If Big Phil is the wonderkind you imagine, maybe he could have figured this out around statement #4 or 5 or so, rather than blundering on until he stitched himself up good and proper with that carcrash interview with Tony Connelly? If you were hoping that the government would brazen it out in the face of that, consider the dynamics of coaltion politics. Were FF and the Greens going to damage themselves to back Hogan, especially when the latter had already had to suck up losing their deputy leader, and slightly farcically another Ag minister after multiple rounds of hoo-hah over both the previous and current incumbents. But there are whole other threads on that topic. Perhaps more logical here to regard it as a fait accompli -- especially as it most certainly is.

There's a lot of noise that Trade will go to a second-term comish, and very possibly the one Acting Up at present. I don't know if Coveney thinks he's the Big Bazooka that'll change that... or if he just wants to be told he'll not be landed with a fourth-rung brief. Or wants to avoid ending up morto from being nominated, or then passed over. Or maybe he feels he just has to go through the motions. Personally I think he's a deeply unimpressive individual that's already been promoted well beyond his abilities, but he gets big points for being another member of the club of ex-PMs and deputies.

McGuinness is a glib -- garrulous, frankly-- interviewee, and so unembarrassedly bumptious and self-promoting it's amazing to watch. She even has managed to get a few people to repeat her apparently entirely self-created title of "First Vice President". A posher version of Michael Ring shouting about being the poll-topper,without ever having been asked on the topic. I'd personally find Fitzgerald much the most credible of the three, though that's not necessarily to say much.

It might be in the national interest for one of the supposedly super-impressive former officials to get the gig. I'm not familiar with either of them, so I won't attempt to assess their actual merits. But I suspect if they're nominated there might be a lot of political pouting from FG, if they 'lose' a commissioner from their coalition partners failing to back them sufficiently. Pettily partisan, but entirely likely.

Lumpy Talbot

Top Poster Of Month
Twitter
No
jayze, have we finally run out of appointable Marys?

Hillmanhunter1

I'm no expert on the EU, but I always thought that the nomination of a candidate Commissioner is the sole prerogative of the government, and that any request from the Commission President for two names so that s/he can decide which candidate will go forward for ratification is both improper and ultra vires the powers of the President

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom