Bloodbath feared amongst clothes collecting gangs.

gijoe

Integration in Ireland is working: Up yours Merkel!!

Well if this is not a proof of integration among our recently arrived East European brothers and sisters I do not know what is:

SENIOR gardaí fear "a bloodbath" may ensue following attacks on a Cork-based gang which controls most of the estimated nationwide "€1 million a week" export of used clothing to eastern Europe..........

Several clashes have occurred recently between the gangs, including a pitched-battle between combatants armed with baseball bats and hurleys on the South Ring Road. It subsequently went quiet but in the past few days gangrivals have fire-bombed vans.

Read more: Fears rise over Cork clothes collection gangs | Irish Examiner
Pitched battles.....hurleys.....how more Irish do you need to get???

Twin Towers

Is there anything that encapsulates the state of lawlessness in this country than the clothes collecting Mafia bringing their corrupt racket to your doorstep with impunity.

Now it seems a war is developing for control of the lucrative fraud that could have so easily been nipped in the bud before it putrefied into tit-for-tat fire-bombings.

Fears rise over Cork clothes collection gangs | Irish Examiner

gijoe

Is there anything that encapsulates the state of lawlessness in this country than the clothes collecting Mafia bringing their corrupt racket to your doorstep with impunity.

Now it seems a war is developing for control of the lucrative fraud that could have so easily been nipped in the bud before it putrefied into tit-for-tat fire-bombings.

Fears rise over Cork clothes collection gangs | Irish Examiner
http://www.politics.ie/justice/140754-integration-ireland-working-up-yours-merkel.html

Why are you putting such a negative spin on what is actually a very positive story of integration in Ireland? You must be a racist!! :mad: ;)

TradCat

Twin Towers

Why is it a corrupt racket? It's very handy to be able to dispose of last year's designs so easily. They provide a service and if they make a profit good luck to them.

Of course any violent turf wars are completely unacceptable and must be stamped out.

Sync

/MOD/ Merged threads / MOD/

Twin Towers

Twin Towers

Twin Towers

Why is it a corrupt racket? It's very handy to be able to dispose of last year's designs so easily. They provide a service and if they make a profit good luck to them.

Of course any violent turf wars are completely unacceptable and must be stamped out.
To collect clothes you have to have a license for obvious reasons.

eyeSpy

Twin Towers

There are plenty of charities who would be delighted to see your last year's designs.
But then that might mean going to the effort of bringing them to them.

It may not be illegal but many people are led to believe these people are collecting for a non-profit organisation.

Twin Towers

It may not be illegal but many people are led to believe these people are collecting for a non-profit organisation.
Without a license it is illegal.

It's not as if it would be a difficult thing to stamp out. Why hasn't it been stamped out?

TradCat

There are plenty of charities who would be delighted to see your last year's designs.
But then that might mean going to the effort of bringing them to them.

I appreciate what you say about the charities and they too send around occasional bags. But I wonder could they handle the volumes the East Europeans deal in. Otherwise why don't they collect every week.

Of course the non-profit angle is a scam but clearly people don't mind and are happy to get rid of old clothes. I don't see the harm in it.

Twin Towers

I appreciate what you say about the charities and they too send around occasional bags. But I wonder could they handle the volumes the East Europeans deal in. Otherwise why don't they collect every week.

Of course the non-profit angle is a scam but clearly people don't mind and are happy to get rid of old clothes. I don't see the harm in it.
Great, so what other licenses should we dispense with? Gun licenses, pub licenses, dog licenses? They are routinely scamming people with blatant lie filled leaflets carrying bogus charity ID's and you don't see any harm in that?

TradCat

Great, so what other licenses should we dispense with? Gun licenses, pub licenses, dog licenses? They are routinely scamming people with blatant lie filled leaflets carrying bogus charity ID's and you don't see any harm in that?
Certainly pub licences should be abolished in their present form. They are a barrier to entry and drinkers pay the price. The only reform of gun licenses I suggest is that i get one. Do people actually get dog licences?

While I'm on the subject the TV licence is a protection racket and should be abolished.

If the clothing collectors are acting illegally then it's up to the Gardai to arrest them. But I would rather see them deal with anti-social behavior than a service which may be in breech of a licensing technicality but is completely voluntary for the people who use it and does no harm.

Twin Towers

If the clothing collectors are acting illegally then it's up to the Gardai to arrest them. But I would rather see them deal with anti-social behavior than a service which may be in breech of a licensing technicality but is completely voluntary for the people who use it and does no harm.
It is organized barefaced racketeering that now appears to be descending into anarchy and bloodshed but it does no harm?

eyeSpy

a service which may be in breech of a licensing technicality but is completely voluntary for the people who use it and does no harm.
Tradcat, IMHO and all that, diverting clothing and household tat from actual charities, local and international, to sharp practicing profiteers does some harm.

now, the fact that the large multinational charities possibly divert as much of a cut of the benefits of charity offerings to run their operations and quasi-civil services is another issue which may be worthy of its own thread someday.

TradCat

Any violence for whatever reason is wrong and must be stamped out.

But the commercial activity itself appears benign.

"Most of these so-called clothes collection vans are out on the road between 2am and 8am picking up clothes left outside households. When they get the clothes they are exported where they are cleaned, pressed and resold on as new or virtually new," said the Garda source.
What exactly is wrong with that? I get rid of unwanted clothes. People in Eastern Europe get offered quality and style at a price they can afford and the people who organise it make a profit.

Mister_Jinks

I must say that I'm amazed by the number of these leaflets that come in the door. At least one a week. If not more. There seems to be a constant stream.

eyeSpy

I must say that I'm amazed by the number of these leaflets that come in the door. At least one a week. If not more. There seems to be a constant stream.
i made an effort to stop them by sticking the corner of each one to the pane of glass next to the door.
i've an array of a dozen there of different colours and designs.
the junk mailer can see them through the frosted glass.
it has cut down the number I've been getting and the perpetrators have been seen to back off once they see them.
but i still get the odd one.

New Threads

Most Replies