• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bloody Sunday families offered £50,000 compensation - justice or a derisory penny offering?

ruserious

It doesn't replace a loved one, but holding out for more would suggest of looking to gain from tragedy imo.

wombat

The Brits are paying, who cares?

Sister Mercedes

And we wonder why Kenny didn't apologize for the Laundries. Is everything in this country about compensation?

between the bridges

50k is a miserable sum, nothing can compensate for the loss of a loved one. However it is much more than many victims families received and almost 5 times the amount of the Eames Bradley proposal to pay £12,000 to all victims families...

eoghanacht

50k is a miserable sum, nothing can compensate for the loss of a loved one. However it is much more than many victims families received and almost 5 times the amount of the Eames Bradley proposal to pay £12,000 to all victims families...

Couldn't resist a bit of whataboutery could ye.

Levellers

That amount is an insult - considering that not only were they murdered but then false accusations were made against them.

Evergreenfinch

He has made a point! Is my father's family less worthy because it was Loyalist terrorists killed his brother and not the British Army or RUC?

I don't think any compensation should be paid, let them chase the soldiers through the courts and receive the same justice everyone else who are victims of the Troubles will receive! NONE!!

eoghanacht

He has made a point! Is my father's family less worthy because it was Loyalist terrorists killed his brother and not the British Army or RUC?
I'm sure he's proud you grew up a self hating Loyalist, but no it's not less worthy good luck in bringing a case though

I don't think any compensation should be paid, let them chase the soldiers through the courts and receive the same justice everyone else who are victims of the Troubles will receive! NONE!!
Stop being an embittered cow will ye.

eoghanacht

And we wonder why Kenny didn't apologize for the Laundries. Is everything in this country about compensation?
Jaysus any other day you'd be telling us the North is a different country.

Global Justice

Sync

Yes of course they are, the same as someone who is assaulted by a guard under instructions from their command can expect more than someone assaulted by a mugger. What a stupid question.

between the bridges

I stated facts, I stated no amount can compensate, and i included all victims and yet you accuse me of whataboutery, pathetic away and take a good look at yourself chara...

Global Justice

While compensation of £150,000 was awarded out to Alan Lennon on dubious grounds of religious discrimination by Conor Murphy, yet not a yelp out of you. Morally and ethically redundant unionism as usual

Evergreenfinch

I'm sure he's proud you grew up a self hating Loyalist, but no it's not less worthy good luck in bringing a case though

Stop being an embittered cow will ye.
Is that what the Bloody Sunday families are after? Blood money?

between the bridges

Yes of course they are, the same as someone who is assaulted by a guard under instructions from their command can expect more than someone assaulted by a mugger. What a stupid question.
Really? there was little old moi thinking murder was murder, so do tell us who is top of your hierarchical pyramid of victims...

Sync

Really? there was little old moi thinking murder was murder, so do tell us who is top of your hierarchical pyramid of victims...
............Are you serious? If I'm mugged by some spod I can't sue the ****ing govt. If I'm mugged by a guard I can. Which part of this is too complex for you to understand? The former incident sees no liability on the part of the govt. The second does.

Hitch 22

The families are unlikely to get any convictions because throughout the recent Saville Report it is emphasized that most of the soldiers opening out of "fear and panic".
A Lieutenant leading the platoon fired a burst of shots over the heads of demonstrators which rebounded off buildings and several men opened up on reflex.
Maybe Corporal F who single handed killed many of the victims that day will be convicted but don't count on it.
He led three of his men around one of the flat complexes into a nearby car park where they fired on people taking refuge from the carnage on Rossville Street.
He then went back onto Rossville Street and shot two or three men who were in the open including one man waving a hankie.
A murder conviction will be next to impossible to prove.
He will claim he acted as he did believing he was in a combat zone.