• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Bloody Sunday Killings ''UNLAWFUL''

idle tim

Bloody Sunday Inquiry Leak.UTV Live

A leak from the Guardian Newspaper.It is expected the the Bloody Sunday Inquiry has found that some of the Deaths were found to be unlawful killings.The findings of the inquiry are due to be published next Tuesday.A prominent Unionist has described the findings as like "throwing a live had grenade into the NI PPS".

<<MOD Thread merged>>

Last edited by a moderator:

idle tim

Henry McDonald is one of the Guardian Journalists who has received the information,obviously no sources have been named.

tiocfaidh

According to utv, quoting front page of tomorrows Guardian newspaper.

Also: prosecutions to follow, according to the article.

Bloody Sunday killings to be ruled unlawful | UK news | The Guardian

Thats the can of worms opened now so.
Wow. Big news indeed.

Trimble sickens me, though:

On his warning to Blair, Trimble said: "I just reminded him that the Widgery report of 1972 concluded that the troops' behaviour, to quote from the report, 'bordered on the reckless'.

"Then I told the prime minister that if you moved from one millimetre from the that conclusion you were into the area of manslaughter, if not murder," he said.

"I pointed out to Blair that we would see soldiers in the dock. I told him that at the time of the talks leading to the Belfast agreement," Trimble said.

So what's the problem? If a 12 year investigation finds people likely guilty of manslaughter or murder, why should they not be in the dock? Trimble is blatantly warning that justice should not be served, if it finds British soldiers guilty. Disgusting.

idle tim

Wow. Big news indeed.

On his warning to Blair, Trimble said: "I just reminded him that the Widgery report of 1972 concluded that the troops' behaviour, to quote from the report, 'bordered on the reckless'.

"Then I told the prime minister that if you moved from one millimetre from the that conclusion you were into the area of manslaughter, if not murder," he said.

"I pointed out to Blair that we would see soldiers in the dock. I told him that at the time of the talks leading to the Belfast agreement," Trimble said.

So what's the problem? If a 12 year investigation finds people likely guilty of manslaughter or murder, why should they not be in the dock? Trimble is blatantly warning that justice should not be served, if it finds British soldiers guilty. Disgusting.
I would expect nothing less from Mr Trimble.

Theobald

Trimble is a spineless, anti irish, arrogant limp-wristed unionist newt.

At least Paisley had balls.

picador

If this is so I expect the British government will re-examine some of the findings of the Eames-Bradley report into dealing with the past. Clearly there is a double standard whereby former paramilitaries can be prosecuted but members of state forces effectively cannot.

I question the value of any prosecutions for pre-GFA activity. None of those found guilty will serve a day in prison. A Truth Commission (with the power to grant amnesty) would achieve more (and cost less!)

idle tim

I cant help but feel sorry for the relatives who have been so dignified up to now,they will be subjects of a media frenzy for the next few days.I hope the source of the leak is proud of themselves.

eoghanacht

There will be no convictions. Crucial evidence that could have secured convictions was destroyed just before the new enquiry commenced.

BBC News | NORTHERN IRELAND | Concern over Bloody Sunday guns
True, but atleast the victims are vindicated and their families can now move on after getting closure.

I look forward to reading it. Will it be a case of trigger happy squaddies or were they acting on orders from upon high, who wanted to teach the ingrates 'a lesson'

The Underdog

True, but atleast the victims are vindicated and their families can now move on after getting closure.
What closure. Just political window dressing. Justice delayed is justice denied. Their killers are walking around as free men and got to live their lives with no consequences. Happy as Larry, with their NI service medals and army pensions.

Catalpa

Wow. Big news indeed.

Whatever his motivation Trimble is/was right.

Either the Paras were within their rights as Soldiers of the Queen to open fire

- or they were not.

Obviously almost 100% of Nationalist Ireland regarded at the time and still do that the events of that day were an Act of Mass Murder.

If these killings are declared to be 'Unlawful' then expect to see an Amnesty or 'Act of Oblivion' being introduced to cover the years 1969-1997 by the British Government within the year of date of publication of this Report.

eoghanacht

What closure. Just political window dressing. Justice delayed is justice denied. Their killers are walking around as free men and got to live their lives with no consequences. Happy as Larry, with their NI service medals and army pensions.
Lets not get carried away now, you and i both know, not one of those murderer's will serve a day in jail.

idle tim

I look forward to reading it. Will it be a case of trigger happy squaddies or were they acting on orders from upon high, who wanted to teach the ingrates 'a lesson'
Leak hasnt put any numbers on how many of the 14 deaths were unlawful,it will be torture on the families for next few days.I hope the Source is discovered and has the book thrown at him/her.

idle tim

Amazed this thread is an hour old and the unionist posters havnt decended yet!

TradCat

I think the families will be happy with the outcome and if they are happy nationalist in general will be happy. The British public are the ones who should be concerned about it. Their soldiers murdered people and their government covered it up. If they can do it in Derry they can do it in Birmingham. No wonder this is being leaked just before the World Cup.

Civic_critic2

Leak hasnt put any numbers on how many of the 14 deaths were unlawful,it will be torture on the families for next few days.
Why so? Why should people expend so much energy looking to the british over this matter regarding a political enquiry whose purpose is to serve political needs in the present day just as widgery served political needs in its own way in its day. Despearately looking to those who shot your relative dead for some hope and engaging in the chicanery of their convoluted legalisms stikes me as an odd way to conduct yourself.

sondagefaux

Whatever his motivation Trimble is/was right.

Either the Paras were within their rights as Soldiers of the Queen to open fire

- or they were not.
Being a soldier in the British Army has never given anyone legal carte blanche to fire on unarmed civilians - at least in theory.

The fact that these killings (or some of them) have been declared unlawful means that they were unlawful at the time - you can't apply today's laws retrospectively.

If they result in prosecutions (by no means a certainty) you can probably expect a hell of a lot more complaints to be made to NI's Public Prosecution Service about other shootings apart from Bloody Sunday.

Even if public prosecutions don't take place, the way is now open for the relatives of those killed to take private prosecutions (again in theory, the state would have to agree) and civil actions.

eoghanacht

Amazed this thread is an hour old and the unionist posters havnt decended yet!
Ah, outside of the usual paddywhackery, and claiming that the world owes Britain a depth of thanks yet to be realised they have liitle else in their arsenal.

In saying that BC and sharpcut will somehow find an angle to defend wanton murder